Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a few days and I'm still having the problem.

Sometimes it doesn't do it at all....sometimes the ad is covering the page numbers on the thread at the bottom....and now I'm getting the ads slowly creeping up the page so that I can't read the last post on a page. I don't know if this is a problem or just annoying. I am definitely not going to even try to touch any of these ads.....you never know if something malicious is lurking. It's just.......Grrrrr!

IHS
    sigpic

Comment

IHS, can you tell me your browser, version, and your operating system?

Thanks.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

DARREN.....PM'd ya!

Thanks,
        IHS
        sigpic

Comment

Just got this when replying in the Gateworld cantina

Spoiler:
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

The top banner for ReduxMedia just keeps loading, and reloading and re-reloading ad infinitum.
            http://ad.reduxmedia.com/click2,HpRk..._size%3D468x60,
            Every time it reloads, my comp stops until it's finished.
            Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
            sigpic

Comment

i don't know if this goes against the illegal download rule

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4527/captureyqx.jpg

http://tvneto.com/download/
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

taken from the ATM thread

There used to a thread about Gateworld ads but I can't see it anywhere.

On opening the GW forum link, my malware detector picks up that a cookie wants to be placed: ADTMT. Prior to me resetting Spybot, I would allow all cookies. This has resulted in malware being placed on my computer that I can't get rid of. I don't know which ad it is.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

And adding, I also found a trojan horse virus that came up on coming onto GW, too.

Comment

A word on malware and viruses and GateWorld:

Twice (same week, apparently the same perpetrator) in GateWorld's 10-year history have we had an ad on the site that actually breached browser security and posed a threat to users. It slipped thru Google Adsense's system and appeared on several sites, since the advertiser's process is automated (no real human beings have to review and approve the ad). Google dealt with it promptly both times.

Any advertisement you see on GateWorld generally can't carry sufficiently complex code to do anything to your computer (other than annoy you), unless you click on it.

Every other instance we've heard of where people report what looks like malware or virus threats from GateWorld aren't caused by GateWorld. Most of the time I would say it means that your computer is already infected with malware, and you didn't know it. MalwareBytes is a great program for cleaning your system, but some scumware is more pernicious than others.

When your computer isn't already infected, there are also a few occasions where someone's own virus protection software (Norton, McAfee, etc.) will detect something it is suspicious of (such as the way an ad is coded) and throw up a red flag. It doesn't mean there's actually anything wrong with the ad or the site.

If you see something that gives cause for concern about your computer's protection while browsing GateWorld, the first step is to close your browser and run a full scan using your own virus protection software. If it doesn't turn up anything, try MalwareBytes. If it turns up nothing and you still are getting warnings when visiting GateWorld, let me know as much as you can about the exact ad you are seeing, so I can look into it. "I'm getting malware or a trojan horse warning on GateWorld" doesn't give me anything to follow up on.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

http://www.anti-malware-reviews.com/...-october-test/

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ this is also a good program.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

More info, I came back to GW forum homepage and the view.adtmt.com wanted to set another cookie. I denied it but the ad at the top is an Australian Govt business.gov ad.

Comment

The Glee 20 ad is really annoying. It's blocking the forum button when it pops up. The only way to get around it is to refresh the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                            The Glee 20 ad is really annoying. It's blocking the forum button when it pops up. The only way to get around it is to refresh the page.
                            Yeh, I thought that maybe it was just my computer, but when I was on my laptop the past two days, it was happening on there as well. Sometimes the pages would load fine, and other times it wouldn't and the "Gee20" ad would cover the forum buttons. Most of the time refreshing the page works. Sometimes it doesn't and I have to try a couple of times. Or I have to click on the "GateWorldForum" name up top to hopefully get it to load properly.
                            My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                            "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Here is the website

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                                Yeh that Gee20 ad has to go. It is getting really annoying with the buttons being constantly blocked by it. I have to click on the GateWorld Forum banner at the top just to be able to go anywhere else in the forums. So for example I am in the SGU character section of the forum looking at the TJ/Young thread and want to go look at the TJ/Alaina Huffman thread, I have to click on the GW Forum banner at the top and then go back in. I can go to different areas if that Gee20 ad doesn't pop up as it is the only one that it does it with.
                                My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                                "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Working...
                                X