This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    UGH! That stupid Primevil ad drives me up the wall! It pops down and I can't close it! No amount of clicking on the x or close button has any effect. And once the video stops playing the ad stays open, still can't close it. And I have to hit page back because the ad covers the top of the forum, the navigation bar, just to get away from that infuriating ad.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Originally posted by Morbo View Post
    FIREFOX USERS:

If you're already using the adblock extension - and after all why wouldn't you be - but you can't seem to get some of the other annoying ads to disappear, go to firefox's extensions/addons page and search for "FlashBlock"

It blocks anything flash- but doesn't necessarily keep it from you being able to view it. You can view whatever it is simply by clicking on the Play button that appears where the blocked Flash portion is.

Those 2 extensions allow me to browse GW in peace.
    problem fixed.

Comment

problem fixed.
      but if everyone did that then Darren would post this

https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

And the response to that is this:

I use Firefox and Adblock. There are a ton of sites, though, that I've exempted from Adblock because I like the sites and I allow the ads as a support of that site. Those sites and those ads don't "attack" me and disrupt my viewing experience. They don't take over the entire window and make it impossible to close them and actually use the site. Fix the ads and Gateworld will make into the whitelist.

Comment

i've been herer since 2005 almost everyday

i can think of only maybe 4-5 times ads have caused problem

Comment

So you didn't have that ad a few weeks (months?) back that, every time it was loaded would drop down and cover the entire screen and then not go away until you clicked the close button it (and not always then, either)?

Every single page, every single load.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
              So you didn't have that ad a few weeks (months?) back that, every time it was loaded would drop down and cover the entire screen and then not go away until you clicked the close button it (and not always then, either)?

Every single page, every single load.
              no that i noticed

since the forum redesign ads haven't been as bad as before

Comment

Originally posted by stargatelvr View Post
                where are the pictures of people in the main gateworld ad thing up top? It's blank, (or it might just be me)
                He he, never mind. I'm just being blonde.
                sigpic

Comment

FIREFOX USERS:

If you're already using the adblock extension - and after all why wouldn't you be - but you can't seem to get some of the other annoying ads to disappear, go to firefox's extensions/addons page and search for "FlashBlock"

It blocks anything flash- but doesn't necessarily keep it from you being able to view it. You can view whatever it is simply by clicking on the Play button that appears where the blocked Flash portion is.

Those 2 extensions allow me to browse GW in peace.
                  These extensions work. I love 'em!!!

Comment

OK Tame it has happened again, but a completely different set of page ad numbers then the ones I sent you. But it was google syndication again. Hope this is not going to be another issue, cause I deleted my adblock weeks ago.
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

you do know you can run ADBlock and allow GW ads to run so you can support the site but specify select ads to block so it won't get slowed down
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

... makes Firefox go reeeeeeeeeeally slow under both Ubuntu and WinXP. Eats up loads of memory and CPU and makes this forum totally unusable. It's ok in IE7 in XP though.

Do any of the UberMods have dealings with the advertisers or is it just what we get?

M.
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                          ... makes Firefox go reeeeeeeeeeally slow under both Ubuntu and WinXP. Eats up loads of memory and CPU and makes this forum totally unusable. It's ok in IE7 in XP though.

Do any of the UberMods have dealings with the advertisers or is it just what we get?

M.
                          NoScript will prevent things like that from even loading.
                          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

What's so frustrating is...advertisors come up with these 'in your face' ads in a desperate attempt to draw attention to themselves.

and don't realize that people are so sick and tired of the stuff that they install adblockers and the such to avoid having to deal with the obnoxious ones. for me? the regular old google ads, don't bug me in the slightest, but the resource hogging flash ones are why i learned to turn off the flash player and why i've found ways to block them

Basically, in their desperate attempts to draw attention to themselves and their products, the advertisers are turning off and turning away the very people they're trying to reach.

people have writtten stuff like adblock and flash block and no script, not to necessarily get rid of those little gif ads, but because of the obnoxious, massively file sized and annoying animated monstrocities

Someone has said in another thread that the lycans thing premieres jan 23rd, so i doubt there's much we can do before then. As a forum I dont' think there's anything we can do, it's up to each poster to find and implement whatever measures they deem necessary to deal with it.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Currently there's an adult online dating banner running across the top of Gateworld advertising "naughty online dating for adults". Now knowing what I do of Darren and this site, I'm assuming this is one that's slipped past the system. Thought I'd bring it the mods attention.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...light=problems

Darren prefers ad issues be posted here

Comment

Working...
                                X