This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
    Except that the forum loses revenue that way. This has brought up the paid version vs the unpaid version that has been raging for a while. Create a subscription type account and filter out the ads, and create a nonpay account with the ads.
    i just donated $20 to the other forum i spend all my time on. Our goal this year is roughly $3000. Last year we surpassed our goal by a lot. We have zero ads on the forums.

if every person here (heck, prolly only half) donated $1, it'd be enough to run the server for a year I bet. I mean. I bet most people can afford $1 per year donation drive.

I know Darren has never wanted that, and that's his choice, but ads, especially flashing bouncing banner ads are extremely annoying and they will remain blocked.

But I seriously bet a donation system would work. but that's a topic for another thread, so, like I said. just grab the extensions.

Comment

Flashing, bouncing banner ads are against GateWorld's ad policy. I notice we've gotten a few in the mix this week, and I've asked our service provider to remove them immediately and keep us out of any such campaigns.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

cool. thanks darren.

Comment

Is anyone else having problems with the Star Trek animated series ad??????

Whenever it shows up simply buttons no longer work for me, like the smiley drop down button, the insert image button ... All those buttons.

Is anyone else having this problem????

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
          It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

No sorry, I haven't seen that advert. All I can see are Stargate adverts, and more SG adverts! One of which is advertising Stargate d******ds. Although, I do have Adblock installed in Firefox because of the previous problems with dropdown flash adverts.
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Jealous This is me jealous

I haven't wanted to say anything because at least it's a SciFi ad and not, like, for smileys but it's SOOOOOOOO annoying. Even the QR button is affected! I WANT MY BUTTONS BACK! ::Weeping::

Adrianne
              If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Adrianne, I was having that problem yesterday (but not today -- yet). I didn't realise it was the Star Trek ad; all I knew is that when I'd go to click on one of the message comp. buttons, the browser would try to connect to fx.interpolls.com and then hang. I ranted and raged about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                  Adrianne, I was having that problem yesterday (but not today -- yet). I didn't realise it was the Star Trek ad; all I knew is that when I'd go to click on one of the message comp. buttons, the browser would try to connect to fx.interpolls.com and then hang. I ranted and raged about it.
                  Just not here so I would know that I wasn't alone ... Oo look there's the ad again.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone,
                  Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Have you also noticed with the Star Trek ad that if you start to write your reply/post because the ad is done loading and running, everything you wrote disappears ?

Hate this stupid ad and I see it ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME!

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

i too am having troulbe with buttons not working during the star trek ads on are

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                        I have the same problems with that ad as well. It hangs up sometimes and the page/reply box refuses to load so I have to refresh. It seems like I get that ad all the time too so Adrianne you are not alone.

Plus I'm having no luck trying to block it with Firefox AdBlock.
                        Last edited by LoneStar1836; 24 November 2006, 10:00 AM.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

I just thought I'd add my 'me too' to the Star Trek ad. I thought I was going crazy until I saw someone mention the ad on another thread then I started noticing all my problems happened only when it was at the top of the screen. I don't know how one ad can effect all the functions on a screen. I've never had a problem with any other ad like many people have so it didn't occur to me that this one could be the culprit.

When the ad is up, you can't click on any smilies or other post functions such as fonts, or size, etc. It reformats my post when I hit the preview button of if I edit the post latter. And as Adrianne said, if you don't wait long enough to start your post then it erases what you've written.

You can't use the quick reply or the muti quote. The search function is all screwy and if you click on someone's name you go straight to their profile instes of the drop drown menu. Also if you quote someone, if reformats badly the quote.
                          sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

everytime I try and post more than a couple of lines I am told I not logged on whats going on is it me?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                              I just thought I'd add my 'me too' to the Star Trek ad. I thought I was going crazy until I saw someone mention the ad on another thread then I started noticing all my problems happened only when it was at the top of the screen. I don't know how one ad can effect all the functions on a screen. I've never had a problem with any other ad like many people have so it didn't occur to me that this one could be the culprit.

When the ad is up, you can't click on any smilies or other post functions such as fonts, or size, etc. It reformats my post when I hit the preview button of if I edit the post latter. And as Adrianne said, if you don't wait long enough to start your post then it erases what you've written.

You can't use the quick reply or the muti quote. The search function is all screwy and if you click on someone's name you go straight to their profile instes of the drop drown menu. Also if you quote someone, if reformats badly the quote.

I am SO glad I'm not alone! Especially on the waiting long enough and what you've written disappearing! Give me back my gawd awful ugly smiley ads!! Get rid of the Star Trek one!!!

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post

I am SO glad I'm not alone! Especially on the waiting long enough and what you've written disappearing! Give me back my gawd awful ugly smiley ads!! Get rid of the Star Trek one!!!

Adrianne
                                I thought I was hitting the wrong key or something else when it first happened. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. It's ridiculous and if I was a site owner I'd be wondering what else that ad is doing to my site. Seems like it has more permissions than it should.
                                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Working...
                                X