Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Albion and Madeline, I tend to rep the post and not the poster too. I'm continually flummoxed by the inability to do so because I've apparently just recently repped the person and don't remember doing so.

Sadly, the 24 hour waiting period and the need to spread it around (that just doesn't sound right does it ) are necessary for those who do abuse the system and use it as a popularity contest.

Honestly, the rep system, like life, is what you make of it. You can be positive, not take things so seriously, try to have some fun and do something nice for others or you can choose to focus on the negative, on why is everyone and everything against me, suck the fun out of it for yourself and everyone around you and refuse to do anything nice for anyone else so that they can be as miserable as you are.

It's all in how you choose to look at it. Personally I'm enjoying my rose colored glasses and my half full glass.

DISCLAIMER - The word "you" in the above post is a general "you" and in no way constitutes a dig at anyone in particular.
    sigpic

Comment

Would I be distraught if the rep system went away? no. But it's fun and it's a way of sending a nice little message of "hey, you made that point really well!" or "Dang, but I'm *still* laughing" - the messages are the best part. And as Madeline said, it is a whole lot better than an entire PM for just a quick compliment or remark.
      Nola
      sigpic

Comment

Oooook, I have an interesting problem. You know the smiley that you can put next to a thread title? Have you ever had yours change to another smiley and you didn't touch it?!
        Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

the mods might have changed it or the thread was merged with someone elses thus changing the post icon

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds View Post
            the mods might have changed it or the thread was merged with someone elses thus changing the post icon

Yeah, but I would be able tell if they had merged it. And why would they change it?
            Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B O Y S C O U T View Post
              I'm sorry are you complaining about not having a custom avatar?
              I'm not complaining, just wondering.

I tried to change my sig, but the board wouldn't upload it.

That's the file I want to use, and it's certainly not too large by any measure.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post

That's the file I want to use, and it's certainly not too large by any measure.
                What error message are you receiving when you try and set that image as your signature? It looks well within the guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post

You should've read the "Signature Permissions" table, it clearly states:
                  Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No
                  All you need to do is to change the image filetype from *.gif to *.jpeg or *.png
                  Signed,

Gregorius
                  Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                  Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                    What error message are you receiving when you try and set that image as your signature? It looks well within the guidelines.
                    Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                    You should've read the "Signature Permissions" table, it clearly states:

All you need to do is to change the image filetype from *.gif to *.jpeg or *.png

Good catch. I didn't scroll over far enough to see what type of file it was. I just assumed it was a standard jpeg since it was not animated. That'll teach me to assume.

Comment

Okay, I'll have to change then. I nearly always use gif files, because with Photoshop you can save them as limited-palette gif files (save for web). My gif file was 17.7 KB, this one is about twice that big, but that's still comparatively small.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Edit: Unfortunately it didn't help, I keep getting a system message: Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

Edit 2: It finally worked because I circumvented the url fields on the board and just stuck it within [img]tags in the editing box.
                      Last edited by maneth; 17 December 2006, 11:47 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
                        Yeah, but I would be able tell if they had merged it. And why would they change it?
                        maybe a member asked them too???

i'm not sure

Comment

anyone else having problems posting? I keep getting this message:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters

ok, it apparently went through this time but in the sam/jack ship thread, I tried several times with adding more words and sentences but the error kept popping up instead. Go figure.

Comment

im trying to make an ADB vid on windows movie maker. but when i cropped the parts of the clip i didnt want to use and added text and stuff to the part i wanted (opening credits and such) all i saw was green. does anyone know why this is happening??? any WMM experts out there???????????????

thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                              anyone else having problems posting? I keep getting this message:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters

ok, it apparently went through this time but in the sam/jack ship thread, I tried several times with adding more words and sentences but the error kept popping up instead. Go figure.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ighlight=error

Comment

Hi, I need help w/several things:

1) I post often in the John/Teyla Appreciation Thread and had a sig that was used when I posted. I recently attempted to change/edit my sig. It lets me upload my image from my computer and save showing it is my recent picture, but nothing is showing in the signature box as before - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM HERE??? I recently changed my password and my em addy could that have affected it?

2) I also do not have a tool bar when I want to post or add smiles to my post(although in my tools it states that I should have these options). What I mean is I do not have the ability to hightlight/bold print or color change print on post or add the smiles as I mentioned. Again, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM HERE ???

Any and all help would be appreciated.

jtjaf
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X