This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Thank you all for your responses!

To explain a little more: When I click on "Show," a bunch of white space appears at the bottom of the post, with the spoiler box sometimes at the very bottom (sometimes not appearing at all). Half under the spoiler box is a line of unreadable scrunched-up type. I have discovered that if I come at it just right I can highlight this type and it un-condenses itself and becomes readable, turning out to be the spoiler. But this doesn't always work, it's a pain in the butt, and I'm not sure I'm getting the whole spoiler.

I do have OSX. I take it I am an inferior being for using IE? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaB
      Wow! Thank you all for your responses!

To explain a little more: When I click on "Show," a bunch of white space appears at the bottom of the post, with the spoiler box sometimes at the very bottom (sometimes not appearing at all). Half under the spoiler box is a line of unreadable scrunched-up type. I have discovered that if I come at it just right I can highlight this type and it un-condenses itself and becomes readable, turning out to be the spoiler. But this doesn't always work, it's a pain in the butt, and I'm not sure I'm getting the whole spoiler.

Consider using Firefox or Netscape. Internet Explorer seems to have an iffy record on MAC's. Just keep in mind that if you use Firefox, disable the Faster Fox plugin when you come to the GateWorld forum. Or else you won't be able to browse the Forums. At one point earlier, Darren has asked us to disable the Faster Fox plugin to reduce the load on the servers as well as cut bandwidth costs.

Comment

The spoiler tags make use of Javascript, so if your browser doesn't support javascript properly (IE has a bad habit of not fully supporting web standards), then the tags will malfunction or simply not work period. That sounds like this is the case. You can try updating IE to a newer version, but if it is the newest version, you'll probably need to use a new browser.

Also, don't worry too much about the FasterFox plugin if you switch to Firefox. FasterFox doesn't come with Firefox by default, so you'll have to go out of your way for it to be a problem in the first place.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Yes
          I have had absolutely no problems using Safari with Gateworld. People complain about the ads and everything under the sun with their browser but I haven't had any problems with that -- knocks on Ukky's head (wood) -- with Safari.

Why aren't you using Safari?!

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
          It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP

Why aren't you using Safari?!

Adrianne
            Umm... Because I didn't know it exists? I'm afraid I'm sort of parasitically Goa'uld-ish in my approach to computer technology -- my roommates and coworkers set things up, and I use them!

Anyway, hugs and thanks again to everybody who's answered with suggestions. I'll check out the possible Javascript problem and an alternative browser.

Comment

Umm... Because I didn't know it exists? I'm afraid I'm sort of parasitically Goa'uld-ish in my approach to computer technology -- my roommates and coworkers set things up, and I use them!
              It came with your computer
              Your roommate and coworkers should be beat with a stick for leading down the wrong path. Do you want to borrow mine? The stick, not my computer.

Adrianne
              If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Your roommate and coworkers should be beat with a stick for leading down the wrong path. Do you want to borrow mine? The stick, not my computer.

Adrianne
                They really can't be blamed, as it turns out -- though I appreciate your very kind offer of the stick!

Anyway, I am now using Safari and can once again be spoiled. I appreciate everybody's help, and am more than impressed that you all managed not to completely whump on the village idiot. Thank you!!

Comment

I have been posting a lot lately but it seems my post count has stopped counting them, i am frozen at 942. anyone know whats going on?

Comment

off topic doesn't go towards post count so if your posting in off topic your post count doesn't change

and according to this you've been posting in offtopic alot http://forum.gateworld.net/search.php?searchid=375014
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                      if your posting in off topic your post count doesn't change
                      Just about sums it up. If you're new here to GateWorld, your post count only increases when you post in the "On-Topic" forums such as The Characters/Relationships forum, or General Discussion. In certain areas, mainly the Off-topic Forum, your post count won't go up. This is done to encourage real discussion, and not have people spam up the threads just to raise post counts.

If you are posting in the "On-topic" sections and your post count is not going up, you may want to send a private message to any Moderator, and they can help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                        Just about sums it up. If you're new here to GateWorld, your post count only increases when you post in the "On-Topic" forums such as The Characters/Relationships forum, or General Discussion. In certain areas, mainly the Off-topic Forum, your post count won't go up. This is done to encourage real discussion, and not have people spam up the threads just to raise post counts.

If you are posting in the "On-topic" sections and your post count is not going up, you may want to send a private message to any Moderator, and they can help you out.
                        Just imagine that Off-topic posts counted!! Post Counts would rocket up

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                          Just imagine that Off-topic posts counted!! Post Counts would rocket up
                          no imagine last person to reply going towards post count
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                            no imagine last person to reply going towards post count
                            I have a total of 7,334 off topic posts. 3,500 or so of them are in the Last Person to Reply Wins thread.

Comment

I calculated this once before ... At the time I had 2823 Off Topic posts.
                              On another board I'm on all posts are counted and I post anywhere between 30-100 posts in one day. I've been on the other board for one month now and have over 800 posts ...

I calculated my Off Topic posts ... maybe three weeks ago? It was even that long ago.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I calculated this once before ... At the time I had 2823 Off Topic posts.
                                On another board I'm on all posts are counted and I post anywhere between 30-100 posts in one day. I've been on the other board for one month now and have over 800 posts ...

I calculated my Off Topic posts ... maybe three weeks ago? It was even that long ago.

Adrianne
                                Indeed. You talk too much (soon to be 'way too much' )

I think i had a few more than that ... mainly due to my 1500 in Last Person To Reply
                                I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Working...
                                X