Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no criteria for putting people on ignore, and it's easy enough to take them off again any time you like.

Personally I generally don't bother, mostly because seeing the "XXXX is on your ignore list" annoys me more than just scrolling over a post by that person. Not that I have anyone on ignore anyway (very unmodlike )

It would be nice if putting people on ignore meant you never even knew they existed, but unfortunately that's not how vBulletin works right now....

Comment

Yeah put them on ignore, I have peeps on ignore and I have occasionally unignored them just to see if things have changed. You can still view the posts if you really want to as well, so if it is only one thread where they maybe get out of line (or whatever they are doing) then you can still view their posts elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
        Yeah put them on ignore, I have peeps on ignore and I have occasionally unignored them just to see if things have changed. You can still view the posts if you really want to as well, so if it is only one thread where they maybe get out of line (or whatever they are doing) then you can still view their posts elsewhere.
        Oo that's true.
        I'll must likely unsubscribe from the thread I find them annoying in. It's the only thread I actually know them from. I realized they were getting under my skin in a bad way when I saw them in another and immediately went, "OH GOD! YOU'RE NOT IN HERE TOO!? GOD IS NO PLACE SAFE FROM YOUR ANNOYANCE!?" (I'm still hoping he doesn't hang around for too long since I haven't seen him there before )

As for this other guy on another Board ... Ignoring him would work if other people would Ignore him as well ... With Ignoring him I'm just left with one sided conversations. So annoying. Maybe he'll go away too

Adrianne
        If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
        It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

No one will ever find out that you're ignoring them. It's not something you should feel guilty about doing, or worry that your reasons are wrong.

If you've come to GW to relax and enjoy, and someone is unintentionally unrelaxing you with their posts, put them on ignore by all means. When you're feeling better able to cope with them, you can unignore them again

Madeleine

Comment

I've yet to put anyone on ignore, but I've been tempted to, often. Last guy who really bugged me turned out to be really cool. If you feel guilty about ignoring don't. Don't feel guilty about it if you do though, especially if it helps reduce your blood pressure. No point looking at things that wind you up.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
              If someone kind of grates on your nerves and you can't see where they've ever made an intelligent contribute to any thread you've seen them on and even their sig makes you want to scream bloody murder ... Is this really a viable reason to Ignore them?

I have never been able to answer this question on any board I'm on. I've only ever Ignored people that have actually attacked me personally ... I haven't Ignored someone because I just find them annoying.

I don't know what to do ... Ignore them because they're annoying or just except that their annoying to me and accept that. Someone on another board, every time he posts I just want to scream, "HATE" because he *never* has anything nice to say and LOVES starting flame wars ... But I can't decide if I should Ignore him because everyone else on that Board thinks he's the next coming.

Adrianne
              It's me, isn't it. Can't we just get over that bean business and be friends?

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                It's me, isn't it. Can't we just get over that bean business and be friends?
                It's not you I swear
                I feel comfortable enough with you -- I mean how do you not bond with someone over veggietables? -- that if I had a problem with you I'd discuss it with you I don't know this person, the one on this board or the one on the other, at all. They just grate on my nerves to where I DON'T want to get to know them ...

Ignoring them does seem like the best option, at least for the time being.

Adrianne
                If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Yeah, ignoring seems to work for some people. I always find myself overcome by morbid curiousity when I ignore someone, so I usually end up taking them off after a few days. But if you have the willpower, go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                    Yeah, ignoring seems to work for some people. I always find myself overcome by morbid curiousity when I ignore someone, so I usually end up taking them off after a few days. But if you have the willpower, go for it!
                    That's generally why I don't Ignore someone for being annoying ... after a few days I'm wondering how many stupid things they said that I missed

I definitely have the willpower to Ignore them ... But will I keep up with it ...

I unsubscribed from the one thread (and angels sang at the new found quiet!) ... But I see he's 'infiltrated' another thread. I'll see how long that lasts and decide where to go from there. I lurk on that thread, don't post ... If it looks like a long lasting, he's pulled a chair and everyone loves him ... I may just leave the thread instead of Ignoring him.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I have no-one on my ignore list, it's in me to see the best in people no matter what they have done, even if they say the harshest things about me, I won't ignore them it's just not in my nature.

In the end it's up to you as to whether or not you really feel that ignoring them will make you feel better, if it will then go ahead, if not then don't, another solution would be to stop posting in the thread where you have been attacked, lurk for a while and let things cool down, and then go back in.

Comment

Long live the ignore option. I don't use it at all but still it can be very easy for people who do have problems. And remember that if it gets a bit out of control you can always report it to the moderators by hiting the triangle button or PM them and tell them about your problem.
                        Lord Zedd

Comment

I DID IT!

On both boards.

And I have to say .. I feel better for it.

Thanks for everyone's opinion,
                          Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I will never ignore anyone.

This is a discussion board. If I can just ignore some other people's opinions, then it won't be much of one.

IMHO, of course. I feel pretty strongly about it.

Comment

How do you make a poll in a new thread?

Comment

Originally posted by RuleBritannia
                                How do you make a poll in a new thread?
                                Only mods can make polls ... if you want your thread made into a poll, you have to PM a mod, or ask in the 'Ask the Mods' thread for that to happen, giving them:

The Question you want people to answer
                                The Options you want in the poll.
                                I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Working...
                                X