Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks then just change it for pics i don't want re-sized?
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

I suppose so - just don't forget to change it back!
      sigpic

Comment

i won't thanks to btw
        sigpic

Comment

i have 2000 posts but can't get a Custom Avi why?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
            i have 2000 posts but can't get a Custom Avi why?
            I didn't get mine right away, either. Give it a day and then try again--that worked for me.
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

*whimpers* can't wait
              sigpic

Comment

I know, hunny bunny. I felt the same way. Wanted my custom avi on post 2001.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                  a space odyssey
                  sigpic

Comment

After I'd posted my 2001st post I couldn't get my custom avi either, but when I returned to the forum a few hours later the option was there. Just had to be processed, I guess.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                      a space odyssey
                      It's morning here. I'll need more coffee before spotting those things.
                      sigpic

Comment

oyi *facepalm*
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought I would ask experienced posters and mods about arrogance in posting. If I make strong assertions I deserve what I get, but is there a kind of culture to these forums, an unwritten rule about opinions? We're from all parts of the world, all ages, genders, jobs, etc, and I've seen serious threads and not-so serious threads, politeness to angry rants.

The thread in question was where I voiced sarcastic disapproval of Syfy in Off Topic Chatter. I suppose I thought there was more resentment to Syfy, which is the source of Stargate, but no longer seems to nuture scifi shows (in my mind). Perhaps I'm being both arrogant and too sensitive (an oxy -moron?) .

It probably comes down to this: we're talking about shows, characters, actors, etc that are dear to people's hearts, so any assertion I make is going to have someone up in arms. Perhaps, I should add a disclaimer to my posts like "furious debate wanted" or "dripping with sarcasm, read at your own risk", so readers know what they're in for. I also have met a few sarcastic posters that nearly killed one of my threads, and I try not to go that far. Perhaps, like a certain Avenger, some posters (including me) need to learn to play together . - Dean

p.s. I'll add that I look at the forum as a place to experiment, sometimes offering topics or ideas that I would not in real conversation, unless with a friend.
                          Last edited by Dean Grr; 21 April 2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Normally opinions are prefaced with IMO or IMHO (in my opinion, in my humble opinion), particularly when it's a strong one. I'm not quite certain, do you *want* to come off as arrogant? And yes, you can certainly say that you are intentionally starting a debate (note, debate, not argument).

You say that you look at forums as a place to bring up things that you wouldn't except with friends. Remember that you have NO facial expressions or voice inflections in a typed format to let people know nuances of your meaning. Unless you are exceptionally gifted at writing (and even then, it doesn't help all the time) you are bound to give people the wrong impression with your words at some point. People around here do have strong opinions - and share them often. Visit a political discussion thread or a religion thread and read a few pages and you'll get what I mean. BUT - being polite goes a very long way in the virtual world, just as it does in the real world.
                            sigpic

Comment

Also, I would add that while you are new, the opinons/thoughts you are expressing are not new.

Making fun of Syfy, thier treatment of science fiction, wrestling. etc have all been commented on many times. What may come off as arrogant to other fans may be that you think your thoughts are something new. What you may think as arrogance from other fans may be their posts in response expressing (paraphrase) - 'Oh brother someone's bringing up this topic again, hasn't this been done to death' and then possibly making fun of your post.
                              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Yes, Thunderstorm has a good point. I replied before I had seen your thread, based solely on your post in this one. I wouldn't worry overly much about it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X