Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome to web standards ...most browsers now have to reach a certain goal to pass tests now and these tests help the browsers display the content from web pages.

i only notice a difference by using windows safari but it makes alot of sites look different.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

hi

could someone list the all the avatar captions

like mature sympiote, gaou'ld underling etc

am new to the systme
      If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.

Comment

^^ They are right here:

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post

What are the user levels?

0-24: Prim'tah
        25-49: Mature Symbiote
        50 -99: Jaffa Fodder
        100-199: Jaffa Warrior
        200-349: Super-soldier
        350-499: Death Glider Pilot
        500-999 Goa'uld Underling
        1000-2499: Royal Guard
        2500-4999: First Prime
        5000+: Goa'uld Lord

{Check out the X-treme Guide to Gateworld (for newbies) here}:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18320
        IMO always implied.

Comment

It's also a good idea to try looking around a bit to see what else is around before you post and as crappy as the search feature tends to be, it DOES help, provided you are versed enough with search engines to know the right key word(s) to use.

Comment

Time and again I try the option "Search for all posts by this author". Then I get a lovely list with all entries with this name, and the first lines of the post are shown as well.

If I see something interesting I'd like to read further then I click onto it - and I always come out at the very first page of the thread, rather than the post itself.

What do I do wrong? Where do I have to click to get the wanted post? I don't want to read the whole thread with several hundreds of pages. Or is it just the way it is? Usually by then I remember that it is not possible and don't use it for any length of time - until I forget and the circle starts again, as it just did today.

Does anybody have an idea for this particular thing? I appreciate it very much!

Thank you
            Astra
            Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
              Time and again I try the option "Search for all posts by this author". Then I get a lovely list with all entries with this name, and the first lines of the post are shown as well.

If I see something interesting I'd like to read further then I click onto it - and I always come out at the very first page of the thread, rather than the post itself.

What do I do wrong? Where do I have to click to get the wanted post? I don't want to read the whole thread with several hundreds of pages. Or is it just the way it is? Usually by then I remember that it is not possible and don't use it for any length of time - until I forget and the circle starts again, as it just did today.

Does anybody have an idea for this particular thing? I appreciate it very much!

Thank you
              Astra
              Click on the link inside the blue quote box, rather than the one above it. That should do it.

Comment

Yes, and graphically...

Comment

Aaaaaaah! Thank you thank you thank you both!

I see. So obvious, and yet... Well, that's why I decided to ask an expert!

Thanks again
                  Astra
                  Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

A browser's rendering engine is what interprets the HTML (and Javascript, and CSS) and displays it graphically. Most browsers have their own rendering engines. Firefox, IE, Opera, and Safari all use their own. Camino, and Konqueror however use Firefox's rendering engine which is called Gecko.

Browsers to stay away from are Internet Explorer and Opera. Microsoft doesn't like to follow standards why IDK maybe they think they are too good for them. I don't know what Opera excuse is but neither follow standards very well.

And no browsers don't have to follow standards it's the developers choice, however it's stupid not to since more you stray from the standards the less code works in your browser.

I recommend Firefox 3, it is in Beta and the moment, as when I write this Beta 5 which is probably the last beta release. FF 3 has been stable enough for everyday use since probably beta 3. not all plugins are supported for it yet but a lot are. Page load times are faster, hundreds of memory leaks have been fixed, memory and CPU use is much more efficient now. I read somewhere that when IE 7 and FF 3 both have 50 tabs open, FF uses half the memory.

Get Firefox 3 here

Integrabyte: I don't see any graphical difference between the way the browsers render the page other than font.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
                      A browser's rendering engine is what interprets the HTML (and Javascript, and CSS) and displays it graphically. Most browsers have their own rendering engines. Firefox, IE, Opera, and Safari all use their own. Camino, and Konqueror however use Firefox's rendering engine which is called Gecko.

Browsers to stay away from are Internet Explorer and Opera. Microsoft doesn't like to follow standards why IDK maybe they think they are too good for them. I don't know what Opera excuse is but neither follow standards very well.

And no browsers don't have to follow standards it's the developers choice, however it's stupid not to since more you stray from the standards the less code works in your browser.

I recommend Firefox 3, it is in Beta and the moment, as when I write this Beta 5 which is probably the last beta release. FF 3 has been stable enough for everyday use since probably beta 3. not all plugins are supported for it yet but a lot are. Page load times are faster, hundreds of memory leaks have been fixed, memory and CPU use is much more efficient now. I read somewhere that when IE 7 and FF 3 both have 50 tabs open, FF uses half the memory.

Get Firefox 3 here

Integrabyte: I don't see any graphical difference between the way the browsers render the page other than font.
                      opera was the first broswer to pass the acid 3 test .... which no one has yet to do

so opera cares about standards

Comment

Hi I was wondering on how Gateworld made the Sg1 and SgA icon/smiley characters??? Can someone plz pm me the site that made them or something. I would to make some icons like that

Harper and Ronon fics
                        The Runner

The Outcast and The Outsider

Comment

Originally posted by BambiScott View Post
                          Hi I was wondering on how Gateworld made the Sg1 and SgA icon/smiley characters??? Can someone plz pm me the site that made them or something. I would to make some icons like that
                          http://www.thescifiworld.net/smilies.htm

the artist name is gilies

he's also responsible for the layout on the main page

Comment

Hi, I've got an idea for a thread. Not sure its a new one, but can't find anything with a similar topic using the search , so am I allowed to just create a new one, or do I have to get the mods' permission? And if it might contain spoilers for all seasons can I still put it in the General Discussion section if I put a disclaimer on it?
                            If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

Originally posted by Teslan View Post
                              Hi, I've got an idea for a thread. Not sure its a new one, but can't find anything with a similar topic using the search , so am I allowed to just create a new one, or do I have to get the mods' permission? And if it might contain spoilers for all seasons can I still put it in the General Discussion section if I put a disclaimer on it?
                              well first off what is the topic i'm good with search i might be able to help you

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                                well first off what is the topic i'm good with search i might be able to help you
                                Thanks for the help. The topic: Pick one episode for each character that best introduces them to a newbie
                                If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

Working...
                                X