Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Firefox and an ad blocker, like I do. Problem solved. Call me a leech if you want, but as long as there are graphics in ads, I'll block them. I don't mind text-only ads. Enough people do the same, and they'll either go for text-only ads, an ad-free subscription possibility or pull the entire site.

If you upload pix, the server can control the size and automatically block pictures that are too big (in KB rather than pixels), if you hotlink from elsewhere, it can be checked manually, but I don't think the mods will bother unless it's obviously too big in pixels as well.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ebethman View Post
      I just noticed that there is no report feature for comments on articles when I saw something reportable. Is a report feature going to be introduced or is that feature going to be completly policed by the mods??
      are you talking about the article in general or the comments at the bottom ??
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
        Speaking as a member, you can use it if you hotlink it. Make sure it is not taller than 180px.
        you can't hotlink huge files

first of all, you can only hotlink from a place that you have permission from....so no snurching something from someone else's site and hotlinking it

second, if you're speaking about sigs.....50 K is the limit for ALL the bits and pieces as a total, hot linked or not. nd not 50K for eachof 5 different gifs or images. it's 50K for the whole thing as a whole

Not everyone has highspeed and big stuff bogs down the downloading of the whole page. and spoiler tags don't make it 'right' either because, seen or not, big stuff still downloads behind the tags

learn to make your files efficient because, even with high speed, too much big stuff will bog the forum down
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          not totally true 2 freelance writers wrote "the storm & "the eye" ( then the real writers did a pass

reference - the audio commentary
          Those freelance writers will still have been professional writers with an agent - Stargate simply don't accept unsolicited scripts that don't come through proper channels (i.e. an agent). Freelance simply means they were not on the permanent writing staff - Martin Gero was freelance when he pitched and was invited to write Childhood's End. He was subsequently invited to join the writing team.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            Use Firefox and an ad blocker, like I do. Problem solved. Call me a leech if you want, but as long as there are graphics in ads, I'll block them. I don't mind text-only ads. Enough people do the same, and they'll either go for text-only ads, an ad-free subscription possibility or pull the entire site.

If you upload pix, the server can control the size and automatically block pictures that are too big (in KB rather than pixels), if you hotlink from elsewhere, it can be checked manually, but I don't think the mods will bother unless it's obviously too big in pixels as well.
            I'm not familiar with ad blockers. How do they work? Are there any free ones floating out there in cyberspace?
            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
              I'm not familiar with ad blockers. How do they work? Are there any free ones floating out there in cyberspace?
              You can find the Firefox ad blockers here at the Mozilla site. They are free.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                You can find the Firefox ad blockers here at the Mozilla site. They are free.
                Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just finished downloading the program.
                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

It is my honour to serve.
                  sigpic

Comment

I cant seem to find how you post a poll, anyone who could point me in the right direction?

Comment

You don't, basically, unless it's in the "Fun and Games" forums.

In the other forums, you basically create a thread, and then report your post to the mods (using the triangle thing on the top right corner), with your poll question and poll choices written within the report.

Comment

Ah, I see. Thank you for the quick response!

Comment

how many greens (or reds) do you have to make before you get green (or red) the same person again?
                          Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                          ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                          Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                            how many greens (or reds) do you have to make before you get green (or red) the same person again?
                            i think it's 8 or more .....not sure
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                              It grows as you get more rep. I don't give as much rep as I used to because it seems like every time I try it says I have to spread it around more. I think I'm way over 20 now. I think 8 is the newbie poster amount.
                              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

well poo okay thanks
                                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Working...
                                X