Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And again, we're back to this point that although green rep is seen as "fun", then red rep is seen as a horrible abomination and so on and so forth. It's interesting how the same people who consider the rep system to be lighthearted are the same ones who think that red repping is an awful thing to do. That says to me that you take the system a lot more seriously than you claim.

I personally find it quite petty and childish when people turn round and give you a red rep just because you gave them one. That's the only time it really frustrates me, but even then, it's not "against the rules", unspoken or otherwise.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Eh, I think it depends on the situation. I mean, if I get a red for no apparent reason (as in, no comments), I won't hesitate to return the favor.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith View Post
        There are two ways to get images to display here at the forum:

I believe the forum does not support the HTML image search tags, so even though those tags are available for use, they might not work here. (I might be wrong about that).

Thanks, TechnoWraith, this explains a lot. I had no problems doing this before because the images would convert to tags in the message reply box; now they don't; the picture is intact WITHIN the reply box w/o tags. Right clicking won't give options to convert, just the image. I can sometimes use the spoiler tags if the pic is too oversized. However, interestingly, your sample pic did convert to IMG tags. Obviously a conspiracy's afoot. (LOL!)

So that means it's ye ol' browser glitch-up again. Since my regular computer browser won't let me access the Board's edit functions (can't bold /color /smilie without writing code MANUALLY - gulp!) I switched to IE. I can use the edit functions but apparently it's slacking on the image thingy. I guess I'm stuck cutting out the picture or using spoiler tags if possible.

Just sayin', I'll keep working on it but thanks again, and Happy New Year!
        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
        sigpic
        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
          Thanks, TechnoWraith, this explains a lot. I had no problems doing this before because the images would convert to tags in the message reply box; now they don't; the picture is intact WITHIN the reply box w/o tags. Right clicking won't give options to convert, just the image. I can sometimes use the spoiler tags if the pic is too oversized. However, interestingly, your sample pic did convert to IMG tags. Obviously a conspiracy's afoot. (LOL!)

So that means it's ye ol' browser glitch-up again. Since my regular computer browser won't let me access the Board's edit functions (can't bold /color /smilie without writing code MANUALLY - gulp!) I switched to IE. I can use the edit functions but apparently it's slacking on the image thingy. I guess I'm stuck cutting out the picture or using spoiler tags if possible.

Just sayin', I'll keep working on it but thanks again, and Happy New Year!
          You shouldn't have to convert anything to use the image tags. The two things you need to use the image are the URL address to the image hosting site that has the image and the img tags ([img] and [/img]. Just about every image hosting site (i use photobucket) generates the url address in the format needed to link to any image. For example, photobucket provided everything i needed to link to the example picture back in my sample post. You simply copy and paste the proper tags. (I use the "IMG Code" provided by photobucket).

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith View Post
            You shouldn't have to convert anything to use the image tags. The two things you need to use the image are the URL address to the image hosting site that has the image and the img tags ([img] and [/img]. Just about every image hosting site (i use photobucket) generates the url address in the format needed to link to any image. For example, photobucket provided everything i needed to link to the example picture back in my sample post. You simply copy and paste the proper tags. (I use the "IMG Code" provided by photobucket).
            That's clear, but when I reply with the quote button, the picture is there, not its tags. In your example you discuss replacing IMG with URL so just the link shows and not the picture again. My message box won't do that, although again when I was on my regular browser it gave the link for your picture. Since I don't use that browser now I don't get the tags.

I hope this is clearer? When you quote a post with a picture, the picture doesn't show in the message box, but the link with IMG tags will?

Just sayin', I'm not sure why this happened; it didn't before. I'm only mentioning the browser 'cause I can't think of any other reason for this annoyance. Thanks again for helping me think this through.
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

That's clear, but when I reply with the quote button, the picture is there, not its tags. In your example you discuss replacing IMG with URL so just the link shows and not the picture again. My message box won't do that, although again when I was on my regular browser it gave the link for your picture. Since I don't use that browser now I don't get the tags.

I hope this is clearer? When you quote a post with a picture, the picture doesn't show in the message box, but the link with IMG tags will?

Just sayin', I'm not sure why this happened; it didn't before. I'm only mentioning the browser 'cause I can't think of any other reason for this annoyance. Thanks again for helping me think this through.
              When quoting posts, everything in the original post should show up, image tags and everything. When you're viewing the post you won't see the actual tags to make the picture appear. If the image in the quoted post shows up, then everything is working just fine. There is no need to "physically see" the actual image tags to make an image appear. In fact, when you use the image tags properly, expect NOT to see them. It makes the post look neat and clean. It would look rather cluttered to see [img] and [/img] before and after every single image that was posted in the forum. The URL tags work in a similar manner. You won't physically see the tags, but you know they're working when you click the link and it takes you to a working webpage.

Hopefully that will help you out some more.

If not, it could be browser issues or anything in between.

Comment

i think i know what’s going on. but i'm probably wrong, so read at your own risk.

you're saying that when you quote a message and look at in the editor box ("Reply to Thread"), you see the picture--as in pretty colors--not the URL with [IMG][/IMG] tags around it. right?

if so:
                It probably means you're in the wrong editor mode. what you're in is called "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" (What You See Is What You Get).
                what you want to be in is "Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls"

to switch to this editor either:

click the A/A button in the upper-right hand corner of your "Reply to Thread" box (what i'm writing this message in right now)
                OR
                go to Control Panel-->Edit Options [4th one down in the blue box on the left]-->scroll all the way down to Miscellaneous Options --> in the Message Editor Interface drop down box select "Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls"

this should let you see the URL of the image with the tags. then, just delete the tags and let the URL appear as a link. ie: [img]coolpics.com/wowthatsneat.jpg[/img]
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Isn't this thread for when members are in need of help from other members?

Sorry for being a bit of a stick in the mud, but can we leave bedates in the off topic section

I'm worried we are scaring off newbies from asking questions.

If you could consider this please
                  thanks
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:
                  President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                  President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                  Forum Charmer
                  Forum Ambassador
                  Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                  VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                  VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

The purpose of this thread is for members to ask members questions about forum operations/issues/tricks/treats.

It's not the place to express discontent with the posters here.

Please keep this on topic
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                      Isn't this thread for when members are in need of help from other members?

Sorry for being a bit of a stick in the mud, but can we leave bedates in the off topic section

I'm worried we are scaring off newbies from asking questions.

If you could consider this please
                      thanks
                      All the discussion about Rep is really good and thought provoking. You can discuss reputation and all issues related to reputation here.

Comment

I used to be able to click the post number next to the scales in the top right of my posts, and it would open a single post in a new tab. Today, whilst doing this, it doesn't open a new tab, but changes in the original tab, thus I lose my place in the thread. (I hope you understood that )
                        I'm on Firefox, but I haven't changed any settings. I've just checked in 'tools' and new links should still open in a new tab.
                        Any suggestions as to what's wrong, or is this just a Gateworld thing?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                          I used to be able to click the post number next to the scales in the top right of my posts, and it would open a single post in a new tab. Today, whilst doing this, it doesn't open a new tab, but changes in the original tab, thus I lose my place in the thread. (I hope you understood that )
                          I'm on Firefox, but I haven't changed any settings. I've just checked in 'tools' and new links should still open in a new tab.
                          Any suggestions as to what's wrong, or is this just a Gateworld thing?
                          I just gave it a try and when I clicked on the post number, it opened up in a new tab. I'm using Firefox as well. Just updated Firefox to 2.0.0.1 about a month ago and I have to say I'm lovin' it

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                            I just gave it a try and when I clicked on the post number, it opened up in a new tab. I'm using Firefox as well. Just updated Firefox to 2.0.0.1 about a month ago and I have to say I'm lovin' it
                            That's strange. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.1. too.
                            Perhaps my computer has become sentient and is heading towards world domination?
                            Last edited by dipsofjazz; 08 January 2007, 06:08 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I shut down Firefox, then tried again. It seems to be okay now!

*goes to lie down in a darkened room to recover from the trauma*
                              sigpic

Comment

Are you using any themes, or have you switched themes?

The reason I updated to the newer version of Firefox was because of a theme issue. There were certain features of the previous version that did not work with the theme I had chosen. It was primarily a tab issue. You could open up tabs and see all tabs as you normally would, except for the starting tab. Whenever I opened a new tab, the main page I had at the beginning would not show as a tab and would only re-appear if I closed all other tabs.

Comment

Working...
                                X