Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly about the red rep points...don't think about it to much...since you can give it whenever you want...some people just give it cause he/she doesn't have the same interest, or doesn't like the same character or just cause he/she doesn't like you... it is the same with green points...I mean some people only give it to friends or people they like and not to people who have great posts...so it is all in the eye of the beholder...
    as for getting your first red and all...yeah that is a bit of a shock...and then you pm the person...but I think no one ever got a reply on that cause honestly the person who gave you red doesn't need to explain himself...
    I would say you get used to it...and you just get over it and laugh with it lol

I only gave red to people who doesn't put spoilers in tabs or without a warning...if you don't know how to use tabs... Or people who are spamming or people who insult other members or actors...And most of the time I do put a comment next to it so I explain myself why they got the red...I never got a pm after it...and honestly I don't know if I would reply to it...I do think I would just to tell them it is nothing against them...

Comment

For the record, if you put someone on ignore...

* You won't see any of their posts. You'll know that they HAVE posted and there will be an option to read each individual post, but otherwise it gets treated as a "minimized" post.

* You won't receive any PMs from that person and, unlike regular posts, there will be no indication that they've (attempted to) send one.

* You won't receive forum-originated emails from that person.

* You won't see any reps given by that person. Which can cause a bit of confusion when your count goes up or down for no discernible reason.

An ignore list is as mature as the person who uses it. For the most part people use the ignore feature on those they find utterly intolerable. As others have pointed out, it usually means someone who goes out of his/her way to be antagonistic and inflammatory. It can also be someone who (for example) posts in a "protected" thread when it's clear they hold an opposing viewpoint and wish only to shove that viewpoint down the throats of others (such as people posting on the anti-S10 thread to let everyone there know how stupid and blind they are because Stargate is still utterly fantastic, blah blah blah). Most of that is caught by the mods, but there are a few who persist anyway or who have other ways of forcing their agenda on everyone. Sometimes it can be more of a protective feature such as ignoring someone who continually rips into your favorite character at every opportunity- even if they aren't doing it deliberately in order to antagonize you (and yes, I've seen that happen) it can still be upsetting for some to see their favorite character "attacked" and rather than continually feeling obligated to leap to the defence (or get upset to the point of tears, as I once heard someone claim), I should think it'd be simpler to avoid such mess altogether. You know your opinion isn't going to change and you know (or should know) that their opinion isn't going to change, so why waste page after page after page fighting about it?

Calling someone immature for using the ignore feature is like calling someone an idiot for not liking Sam- what's the point? Opinions vary and your opinion (generally speaking) is no more right/wrong than anyone else's. I should think, in fact, that it would take a degree of maturity to say, "This person upsets me and rather than give in to those feelings of hurt/anger and risk making the situation worse, I'm choosing to ignore the person causing me this strife."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

* You won't receive forum-originated emails from that person.
        Are you sure about that one Shadow? I do receive emails from my subscribe threads with posts from those I have on ignore. The ones GW sends out do not screen ignored users.

EDIT: Or are you referring to the email address some supply to GW users to email them? Like a Yahoo! email address? Although how does GW stop them anyway?
        Last edited by Willow'sCat; 03 January 2007, 02:46 PM. Reason: Confusion as usual

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
          Hmmm ... Um. Perhaps you should visit the Free Green thread in OffTopic if you're looking to "bounce back" from that Red Rep. There's also the "Rep Points, Universe, and Everything ... Included MAGNETS!" thread in OffTopic that is specifically for complaining about Red Reps (and having fun in general).

This thread isn't for complaining about Red Reps you received and don't understand ...

Adrianne
          I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Myn just told me about this thread... I hope you don't think I came here with the sole purpose of "bouncing back" from the red or complaining about it. I guess I should have been clearer in wanting advice about what to do about reds.

I'm sorry that I annoyed you like this. I'll take my ignorance somewhere else I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith View Post
            You may never know why people give you red. The best thing to do is to simply take it in stride. If there was a comment left, it might give an insight as to why a poster gave you the red. In general, I do not fret over the rep i get. While i have gotten a few reds, i simply ignore them. There's no real point in worrying over a red unless the somment is offensive or bothers you. In that case, you can contact a mod and they can remove the comment, but not the actual red itself. They can't remove any reputation once it's been given out. If you want more insight, visit the threads AdrianneP highlighted and you'll find some advice about dealing with reputation there.
            Thank you. I guess I'm too sensitive and it bothered me being the first red I ever got. I try not to argue with people or offend them or anything else that might result in a red but I guess there will always be someone who is offended by something.

(and now I will shut up because I guess this is the wrong thread to talk about this... I'm really really sorry )

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
              Honestly about the red rep points...don't think about it to much...since you can give it whenever you want...some people just give it cause he/she doesn't have the same interest, or doesn't like the same character or just cause he/she doesn't like you... it is the same with green points...I mean some people only give it to friends or people they like and not to people who have great posts...so it is all in the eye of the beholder...
              as for getting your first red and all...yeah that is a bit of a shock...and then you pm the person...but I think no one ever got a reply on that cause honestly the person who gave you red doesn't need to explain himself...
              I would say you get used to it...and you just get over it and laugh with it lol

I only gave red to people who doesn't put spoilers in tabs or without a warning...if you don't know how to use tabs... Or people who are spamming or people who insult other members or actors...And most of the time I do put a comment next to it so I explain myself why they got the red...I never got a pm after it...and honestly I don't know if I would reply to it...I do think I would just to tell them it is nothing against them...
              Thanks, I'll try not to let it bother me. I guess what bugs me is that I feel they do need to explain themselves when they give a red without a reason. I've never given anyone red before... haven't felt the need to do it yet, I guess. And if I did I wouldn't do no comment or leave some cryptic one letter comment along with it... I'd give the reason for it. But that's just me.

(and now I'm really shutting up about this... sorry if I wasted anyone's time here and I hope you won't give me red rep... it was an honest mistake )

Comment

There's not much to be done about reds. They happen. Since it is intended to rebuke behavior, it might be a good idea to investigate what you said and how you acted in that particular post and see if they may have had a solid reason for it. Of course, you can't always assume that's the case, so if your behavior isn't the issue, they may some other reason for it about which you can do nothing. But this all depends on being honest with yourself. You can't just assume the person has some personal hatred for you and you're perfect, either.

Of course, it's very helpful if they mention something in the comment box. A message like "Please don't forget spoiler tags" is far more likely to mean you did something bad than a message that says "Sam is the greatest character ever, don't say anything bad about her."

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if giving rep required supplying a comment. Greens by themselves are boring and don't really convey a sense of appreciation, while a lone red mark doesn't tell you what if anything you can do to avoid making the same mistake in the future. If you ask me, the comments are more fun than receiving the rep itself. I suppose someone could think otherwise, but it wouldn't make any sense to me. I never really could understand attachments to numbers that don't represent anything of value.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  Are you sure about that one Shadow? I do receive emails from my subscribe threads with posts from those I have on ignore. The ones GW sends out do not screen ignored users.
                  Well, nothing can protect you from subscriptions, but I'm pretty sure that if you have your email link active in your profile it can't be used against you. Although now you've made me wonder about that... Might be a good mod question.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                    I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Myn just told me about this thread... I hope you don't think I came here with the sole purpose of "bouncing back" from the red or complaining about it. I guess I should have been clearer in wanting advice about what to do about reds.

I'm sorry that I annoyed you like this. I'll take my ignorance somewhere else I guess.
                    Oo I don't think you annoyed me
                    This is the thread for Members Helping Members ignorance so, technically, you came to the right place and I gave you a more appropriate place to ... ask about your rep

Yes?
                    No?

Adrianne
                    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
                    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      Well, nothing can protect you from subscriptions, but I'm pretty sure that if you have your email link active in your profile it can't be used against you. Although now you've made me wonder about that... Might be a good mod question.
                      I asked and tested and the answer is: If you have "receive mail from other users" box checked under My Options, someone on your ignore list will NOT be able to use it to send you emails.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post

Well, I mentioned it, yeah. Don't worry, Jess, I know Adrianne and she wasn't trying to be rude or anything.

[Edit] Oh, I guess I should read the rest of the thread before responding... She explained herself. (Sorry for interfereing. Both of you are my friends and I don't like it when my friends misunderstand each other about their intentions. )

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                        [snip] Personally, I wouldn't mind it if giving rep required supplying a comment. Greens by themselves are boring and don't really convey a sense of appreciation, while a lone red mark doesn't tell you what if anything you can do to avoid making the same mistake in the future.
                        I agree, that would help... but there would be ways to go around it. Like, posting a random number or letter, for example. I also agree that people should really explain themselves, especially when giving a red point.
                        Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Hey, I figured out that, if you're on someone's ignore list and you post something and a third person quotes you, then the person ignoring you can see your quoted post.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
                            I agree, that would help... but there would be ways to go around it. Like, posting a random number or letter, for example. I also agree that people should really explain themselves, especially when giving a red point.
                            If I can't explain myself civilly in a Red Rep, like if they only thing that comes to mind is, "You're an idiot," I, obviously, won't give a Red Rep ... But sometimes it's hard to leave a coherent comment because you're so spitting mad at what they've said or done ...

Or at least that's me.

Adrianne
                            If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
                            It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
                              If I can't explain myself civilly in a Red Rep, like if they only thing that comes to mind is, "You're an idiot," I, obviously, won't give a Red Rep ... But sometimes it's hard to leave a coherent comment because you're so spitting mad at what they've said or done ...

Or at least that's me.

Adrianne
                              lol, I can see that happening. It hasn't yet (thank gawd) but I can get pretty pi- ticked off if you enter the <<Myn's "stay away from" subject>> zone....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                                There's not much to be done about reds. They happen. Since it is intended to rebuke behavior, it might be a good idea to investigate what you said and how you acted in that particular post and see if they may have had a solid reason for it. Of course, you can't always assume that's the case, so if your behavior isn't the issue, they may some other reason for it about which you can do nothing. But this all depends on being honest with yourself. You can't just assume the person has some personal hatred for you and you're perfect, either.
                                I agree, but the thing is that I know my comment was pretty innocent. I just complimented someone on a drawing they made. I don't know how "very nice drawing!" would draw the ire of someone else, unless it was of a couple or character that they didn't like. Personally I find that silly even if others may not.

Of course, it's very helpful if they mention something in the comment box. A message like "Please don't forget spoiler tags" is far more likely to mean you did something bad than a message that says "Sam is the greatest character ever, don't say anything bad about her."

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if giving rep required supplying a comment. Greens by themselves are boring and don't really convey a sense of appreciation, while a lone red mark doesn't tell you what if anything you can do to avoid making the same mistake in the future. If you ask me, the comments are more fun than receiving the rep itself. I suppose someone could think otherwise, but it wouldn't make any sense to me. I never really could understand attachments to numbers that don't represent anything of value.
                                I certainly wouldn't mind it, either. And I do look more forward to the comments myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X