This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
    Sounds like a standard redding reason. Fortunately the rep system is pretty meaningless, and has no actual effect on your ability to participate in the forum. However, a good green rep message can make the experience a little nicer.
    I don't think I've ever given someone red... if I ever do, it would be for a good reason, not just because I don't like someone. Especially if the reason I don't like them is only because they didn't agree with me on something rather unimportant. *sigh* Oh well, your right really. It doesn't matter all that much.
    Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

No wonder you got ignored.

Grow up.
      Grow up? Fine, I'll grow up, when you and other's like you get a sense of humor. I chose not to use ignore, because even people I disagree with most of the time, HAVE the right to post an opinion, AND occassionally I agree with them.

In this case, sorry, but I don't.
      Last edited by Lida; 02 January 2007, 12:02 AM.
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
        I would just like to add that the ignore function isn't necessarily a feature that's petty and childish. It's all in how you use it. Ostensibly it's a tool that can be used to make your forum visits more pleasant and a way to avoid conflict. If you have a person with whom you are always clashing and don't want to be drawn in to discussions that could turn in to harsh posts that may end up breaking forum rules and get you moderated then using the ignore function is a very sensible choice.

By using the ignore feature, you very often miss thought provoking posts, which even if YOU don't agree with , are well witten and well worth reading. I have found that I rarely have conflicts with posters, because I choose not to respond to those I disagree with, nor do I red ding someone over nothing. I find that extremely immature and provocative in it's own right.

Sorry to have offended anyone with my views.

I thought we were all entitled to our opinions here. Obviously we aren't, not if anyone disagrees with them.
        On fighting:

Comment

I should inform you I also read this thread and wish you would leave your personal vendetta out of it as well. We all get the idea that you think your a superior and better person than the one who has had you on ignore for quite literally years. I don't care to hear about it, and I'm sure no one else does either. And no one who uses the ignore system cares to hear you imply that anyone who uses it is immature. Mature people would accept the fact they got ignored and drop the whole damn issue. Crap happens. Maturity comes from learning to move on. So take that cross you're carrying, build a bridge, and get over it.

Now, I'm done here. Whine all you want and respond with whatever conspiracy of which you've convinced yourself so you don't have to think about the fact that what I'm saying is true, although I'd really love to be surprised and see you learn something from this and adjust your behavior.

Sorry, I wasn't going to respond to this post, but it was so well written, I just had too. Obviously, I don't agree with most of it, but it just proves my original point. If you ignore people, you don't get to read all points of view.

I have NO vendendetta, I believe it's the person you so obvioulsy referred to that has the problem. As for "your" getting the idea that I think I'm a superior or better person than anyone else, is pure trash. I never said a thing about being ignored....and I said I do not ignore people. Period.

However, that line about taking the cross I'm carrying (which I'm not) and building a bridge with it.....was pure poetry.

I'll leave you to your musings about my maturity or lack there of. End of discussion. Oh, one tiny little thing, I don't think I mentioned conspiracy HERE.....I have on other threads, totally in jest.
          On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Lida View Post
            Grow up? Fine, I'll grow up, when you and other's like you get a sense of humor. I chose not to use ignore, because even people I disagree with most of the time, HAVE the right to say it, AND occassionally I agree with them.

In this case, sorry, but I don't.
            Did you delete the post to which I responded in the post to which you've most recently responded? I thought perhaps the mods did, but I notice it's still in the posts that responded to it. If that's your idea of humor (it's the only thing you've recently posted that even bears a vague resemblance to a joke, and that's only because you used "ROFL" after making a statement that was far more accusatory than humor in any form I've ever witnessed it), then I believe you will find few people that have "a sense of humor" in your perception. Berating a poster for redding you and accusing him of being nothing more than a sock puppet hardly qualifies as a joke in standard practice. I, personally, would consider it an attack on said poster. I believe that's against the rules.

And that brings me back to the original point. Rule-breaking posts are generally deleted by the mods, so did you delete it, or did the mods? And if the mods did, I would like to point out for them that they failed to snip the offending post in replies.

And, just to make the post a bit more relevant to the post to which I replied:

I chose not to use ignore, because even people I disagree with most of the time, HAVE the right to say it, AND occassionally I agree with them.
            First, you have a pronoun with no antecedant (Someone remind me of the technical term for this please, I can't recall it at the moment), but from the context, I'm going to say it's a safe bet that the "it" in question could be replaced with "something" or "whatever" and come out with the same meaning. But grammar isn't a big deal. It does, however, bring me to point two: the second statement does not logically follow. Ignoring someone does not remove his/her right to say something. It's practicing your right to choose whether you listen. Thus, it does not qualify as a valid reason for not using the ignore function. Of course, if you wish to not use the ignore function, this is your right, and I could care less if you share your reasoning for it or not. However, claiming that using it is immature or infringes someone's right to speak is incorrect and I will correct it and any other incorrect statement.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree. There's no law against disagreeing with someone who's right.

EDIT: I see you noticed the pronoun bit. The first point can thus be ignored. However, I'll leave it as a segue to the second.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't going to respond to this post, but it was so well written, I just had too. Obviously, I don't agree with most of it, but it just proves my original point. If you ignore people, you don't get to read all points of view.

I have NO vendendetta, I believe it's the person you so obvioulsy referred to that has the problem. As for "your" getting the idea that I think I'm a superior or better person than anyone else, is pure trash. I never said a thing about being ignored....and I said I do not ignore people. Period.

However, that line about taking the cross I'm carrying (which I'm not) and building a bridge with it.....was pure poetry.

I'll leave you to your musings about my maturity or lack there of. End of discussion. Oh, one tiny little thing, I don't think I mentioned conspiracy HERE.....I have on other threads, totally in jest.
              I've seen you try to start the drama in several threads. Frankly, I'm getting annoyed with it. You've gone out of your way to make posts that give every appearance of attempting to inflame. That's more consistent with having a "problem" than complaining about the fact that someone keeps going through such effort to inflame.
              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

By using the ignore feature, you very often miss thought provoking posts, which even if YOU don't agree with , are well witten and well worth reading. I have found that I rarely have conflicts with posters, because I choose not to respond to those I disagree with, nor do I red ding someone over nothing. I find that extremely immature and provocative in it's own right.

Sorry to have offended anyone with my views.

I thought we were all entitled to our opinions here. Obviously we aren't, not if anyone disagrees with them.
                Because obviously disagreeing with someone's post is the same as declaring they aren't entitled to that opinion.

Now, at the risk of getting berated by a mod for playing mod, I'm going to suggest we drop this topic here, and if you wish to continue, PM me. Likely many of these recent posts will be deleted anyway.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

I've seen you try to start the drama in several threads. Frankly, I'm getting annoyed with it. You've gone out of your way to make posts that give every appearance of attempting to inflame. That's more consistent with having a "problem" than complaining about the fact that someone keeps going through such effort to inflame.
                  Frankly I'm a bit annoyed with you. I am not trying to inflame anyone. I thought your post was well written, sorry, if you find that inflamming.

As for anything else, you and a few others started the implications, not me. I made the mistake of giving an opinion about the ignore "button", and why I don't use it. I then made a silly comment. Sorry....I will refrain from such ridiculous comments in the future, ok?

Oh, as for inflaming......nice post on that "other" thread. Loved it.
                  Last edited by Lida; 02 January 2007, 12:46 AM.
                  On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
                    If I'm on ignore, does that mean that person can't read any of my posts, or just PMs?
                    Wow I've missed a lot ... This might have been answered but maybe not.

If you're on someone's Ignore list they *cannot* read any of your posts. There's an option to "View Post" if they feel so inclined to care, which I think is nice. Previous to that you couldn't see what someone was saying unless you took them off Ignore.

Don't get yourself all bent out of shape for being on someone's Ignore List or getting a Red. It's not a big deal. With so many people here to talk to that *don't* have you on Ignore, it just shouldn't be a big deal ... You know?

Edit: I suppose I should have read the thread before posting
                    But, anyhow, the discussion I only just read proves my point about the "View Post" being so nice ... You can view the post of someone you have on Ignore when and if you feel so inclined to read it ... But equally, their post isn't viewable until you want to view it. This is nice if you generally like the person but find them a tad annoying, you're able to limit how much you "see" of them ... You know?

Adrianne
                    Last edited by AdrianneP; 02 January 2007, 05:33 AM. Reason: And in addition ...
                    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
                    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
                      That's a fair load of rubbish. It's complete personal choice as to whether you want to read stuff or not.

Personally, I don't use the ignore feature. Then again, i don't get a lot of abuse ... i can well understand where people who are here to have fun may wish not to have to read the rubbish thrown their way constantly by other people. If you only ever get abuse from a particular poster, why does it make you immature to stop reading their posts. If you know they never write anything other than rubbish ... and inflammatary rubbish, why bother reading any of it?

So, in conclusion - whether or not you use your ignore list bears no resemblance to the quality and maturity of your posts. It's personal choice. Some do - some don't.
                      I should inform you I also read this thread and wish you would leave your personal vendetta out of it as well. We all get the idea that you think your a superior and better person than the one who has had you on ignore for quite literally years. I don't care to hear about it, and I'm sure no one else does either. And no one who uses the ignore system cares to hear you imply that anyone who uses it is immature. Mature people would accept the fact they got ignored and drop the whole damn issue. Crap happens. Maturity comes from learning to move on. So take that cross you're carrying, build a bridge, and get over it.

Now, I'm done here. Whine all you want and respond with whatever conspiracy of which you've convinced yourself so you don't have to think about the fact that what I'm saying is true, although I'd really love to be surprised and see you learn something from this and adjust your behavior.
                      Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                      I would just like to add that the ignore function isn't necessarily a feature that's petty and childish. It's all in how you use it. Ostensibly it's a tool that can be used to make your forum visits more pleasant and a way to avoid conflict. If you have a person with whom you are always clashing and don't want to be drawn in to discussions that could turn in to harsh posts that may end up breaking forum rules and get you moderated then using the ignore function is a very sensible choice.
                      No wonder you got ignored.

Grow up.
                      Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                      Personally, I found nothing funny about jonno's post. Seemed to be a good response to the issue of the ignore function. However, we each have our own quirky sense of humor I suppose. I prefer sarcasm and those with dry wit

As far as red dinging and maturity, I guess the answer to that is what the negative rep was given for and the comment that came with it as to the level of maturity associated with it.

Every poster is as transparent as those on the other side of the monitor interpreting their posts. I thought his was well thought out and articulated.
                      Me thinks what you thinks is probably correct...

And Adrianne, to answer your question a little better than "I have no idea", I've figured that the person who reded me only did it because they don't like me, not because what I posted really was insulting. I'm not going to get into why they don't like me (especially not here), only that it has to do with a difference of opinion concerning a certain aspect of SG-1.
                      Sorry the Red was misused on you MacGeek makes me sad that people don't read the rule first.

To all the above quoted people I stand up and applaud you all *claps hands* you are very perceptive and I enjoy seeing articulate posts! It is a shame that the ignore function even needs to be in place. However, for some people there is just nothing else to do but ignore them! I don't use it because I can ignore posts of the truly brain dead on my own. However, I think it is a great device for those who want to completely avoid conflict!

Gate on Gators! Purple out ...
                      Last edited by purpletoo1; 05 January 2007, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by purpletoo1 View Post
                        Sorry the Red was misused on you MacGeek makes me sad that people don't read the rule first.

To all the above quoted people I stand up and applaud you all *claps hands* you are very perceptive and I enjoy seeing articulate posts! It is ashamed that the ignore function even needs to be in place. However, for some people there is just nothing else to do but ignore them! I don't use it because I can ignore posts of the truly brain dead on my own. However, I think it is a great device for those who want to completely avoid conflict!

Gate on Gators! Purple out ...
                        Thanks! And more thanks to all of you who who gave me green.... it wasn't really neccesary.... I just had a few questions... but again, thanks!

Yeah, I don't have anybody on ignore either, for the same reason as you.

P.S. Is BB wearing a Spongebob shirt in your sig?? LOL
                        Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Thanks! And more thanks to all of you who who gave me green.... it wasn't really neccesary.... I just had a few questions... but again, thanks!

Yeah, I don't have anybody on ignore either, for the same reason as you.

P.S. Is BB wearing a Spongebob shirt in your sig?? LOL
                          No prob getting help from your fellow Gators! See spoiler for answer to your other question...
                          Spoiler:
                          OMG, you have great eyes. Yes and no. The shirt he is wearing was a redesign by a grafic artist Scaper. I was at the Farscape con in Burbank in November and Andy gave it to him at the breakfast. When Ben came on stage he had on the bunny suit that he wore in one of the last eps of Farscape saying that he always had a hard time deciding what to wear to the cons LMAO! When he got hot he stripped off the hat and top to reveal the shirt! Andy was floored. I think he is still trying to catch his breath LOL He calls it 'SpongeJohn Farscape' and all the characters are Farscape characters.

Comment

Hi all, Myn MacGeek alerted me to this thread. I also just got a red from someone and can't figure out why. It was my first red and while I know I shouldn't be upset over it, I'm still not very happy.

It was given to me by a poster who I never had trouble with before and was for what I thought was a tame post (I just complimented someone on a drawing they posted). Only thing I could think of was that it was some shipper war thing because I posted in a thread dedicated to a ship that interferes with her own ship. I did try to PM her and ask if it was a mistake because for the comment she just put "n" ... I never heard back though and don't expect to. I've never given anyone red before and I don't think it's worth it to red her back just for this.

The Ignore discussion was pretty interesting. I have one person on Ignore but that was because she went out of her way to harass me, not just in posts but in giving rep (it was all green but she was trying to convert me to her ship which I don't appreciate).

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                              Hi all, Myn MacGeek alerted me to this thread. I also just got a red from someone and can't figure out why. It was my first red and while I know I shouldn't be upset over it, I'm still not very happy.

It was given to me by a poster who I never had trouble with before and was for what I thought was a tame post (I just complimented someone on a drawing they posted). Only thing I could think of was that it was some shipper war thing because I posted in a thread dedicated to a ship that interferes with her own ship. I did try to PM her and ask if it was a mistake because for the comment she just put "n" ... I never heard back though and don't expect to. I've never given anyone red before and I don't think it's worth it to red her back just for this.

The Ignore discussion was pretty interesting. I have one person on Ignore but that was because she went out of her way to harass me, not just in posts but in giving rep (it was all green but she was trying to convert me to her ship which I don't appreciate).
                              Hmmm ... Um. Perhaps you should visit the Free Green thread in OffTopic if you're looking to "bounce back" from that Red Rep. There's also the "Rep Points, Universe, and Everything ... Included MAGNETS!" thread in OffTopic that is specifically for complaining about Red Reps (and having fun in general).

This thread isn't for complaining about Red Reps you received and don't understand ...

Adrianne
                              If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
                              It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post

You may never know why people give you red. The best thing to do is to simply take it in stride. If there was a comment left, it might give an insight as to why a poster gave you the red. In general, I do not fret over the rep i get. While i have gotten a few reds, i simply ignore them. There's no real point in worrying over a red unless the somment is offensive or bothers you. In that case, you can contact a mod and they can remove the comment, but not the actual red itself. They can't remove any reputation once it's been given out. If you want more insight, visit the threads AdrianneP highlighted and you'll find some advice about dealing with reputation there.

Comment

Working...
                                X