This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Weir
    Hi is it possible to have custom rotational avs? I spent ages making 5 of them and pasted the url given by random image but it says url is invalid but it works in my sig.
    Not exactly sure why it wouldn't work. Possibly the AV section has been set up for it to be a stationary pic and it will not allow for the rotation code.

*shrug* I know just enough to be really dangerous to my computer so I could be wrong.

Darren may be the one to answer this one if I am talking out of my hat
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
      Ok what's up with the popping flash banner recently? It took me 30 minutes to log in because the banner was blocking the login section of the forum. I had to close and open GW page constantly until I got a normal, non flash banner. Seriously, this is rediculous.
      since I am definitely not sure how this can be fixed, my best advice would be make sure you don't let your mouse scroll over the ad as you head over to the log-in
      I have done the same thing myself and this is what I do
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Ok what's up with the popping flash banner recently? It took me 30 minutes to log in because the banner was blocking the login section of the forum. I had to close and open GW page constantly until I got a normal, non flash banner. Seriously, this is rediculous.
        when that happens to me i just leave and go to another site, if an ad is going to be that annoying and rude its not getting my business and ive got better things to do with my time then fight pop down ads

Comment

I don't have that prob cause I never have to log in because I never log out when I leave.
          sigpic

Comment

Dr.Weir, see, the power at my house died today and apparently, all my cookies in comp. were lost. I have to log in everywhere now.

TameFarrar, yea good thinking. I'll try it next time

Originally posted by spg_1983
            when that happens to me i just leave and go to another site, if an ad is going to be that annoying and rude its not getting my business and ive got better things to do with my time then fight pop down ads
            Me? Go to another site?? No way! I live my life knowing that there is a Shep/Liz shipper thread waiting for me!!

Comment

Me? Go to another site?? No way! I live my life knowing that there is a Shep/Liz shipper thread waiting for me!!
              yes but when the ads interfere with my ability to enjoy the site im not going to be bothered. when i have to fight ith the ads to make them go away so i can use the link or carefully edge my mouse around so i dont accidently hit them? screw that!

Comment

Dr.Weir, see, the power at my house died today and apparently, all my cookies in comp. were lost. I have to log in everywhere now.

TameFarrar, yea good thinking. I'll try it next time

Now you logged in through just don't log out.
                sigpic

Comment

Another Idea would be to disable you flash player while you are browsing here
                  *shrug* it is a short fix if you go to other sites that use flash or want to watch anything that requires flash. You will have to enable it again everytime you want to use it. Skydiver gave me this idea and it has helped me

Comment

Duplicate new threads here http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21390
                    and here http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21391

could be merged with http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20507

Thanks in advance
                    Last edited by tsaxlady; 17 December 2005, 11:07 AM.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

ok, the vala threads have been merged

as to the ads, i don't know what to tell you. gateworld has no control over them, they come to us from a third party vendor.

all i can suggest is to use a browser that disables the flash ads. firefox might

turn off your flash player (it's under tools, manage add ons) now this does have a 'downside' in that if you're on a site whose whole navigation is built on the flash ads, the site will be unusuable to you (such as portions of the scifi site)

I've also noticed in the case of the serenity ad, even though i have the flash player disabled, it also makes my dropdown boxes go away and i have to refresh the page to get them back

do what y ou can to not scroll over the ad to keep it from dropping down

as to not being signed in, you must have your browser set to block all cookies or you never check the 'remember me' box when you log in.

if you're blocking the cookies, you'll see a little red circle in the lower right corner of IE, click on that and tell it to allow cookies from this site. if you're not hitting 'remember me'...you might want to consider doing that. then you wn't have to log in every time you visit. (although if you're on a lab or library computer this might not be an option for you since all future viewers will be able to use your login unless you throw away all cookies wheny ou're done using the computer)

beyond that you may want to mention the ad to darren next time you see him and he MIGHT be able to do something about it. then again, he might not.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        ok, the vala threads have been merged

as to the ads, i don't know what to tell you. gateworld has no control over them, they come to us from a third party vendor.

all i can suggest is to use a browser that disables the flash ads. firefox might
                        I am using Firefox
                        turn off your flash player (it's under tools, manage add ons) now this does have a 'downside' in that if you're on a site whose whole navigation is built on the flash ads, the site will be unusuable to you (such as portions of the scifi site)

I've also noticed in the case of the serenity ad, even though i have the flash player disabled, it also makes my dropdown boxes go away and i have to refresh the page to get them back

do what y ou can to not scroll over the ad to keep it from dropping down

as to not being signed in, you must have your browser set to block all cookies or you never check the 'remember me' box when you log in.

if you're blocking the cookies, you'll see a little red circle in the lower right corner of IE, click on that and tell it to allow cookies from this site. if you're not hitting 'remember me'...you might want to consider doing that. then you wn't have to log in every time you visit. (although if you're on a lab or library computer this might not be an option for you since all future viewers will be able to use your login unless you throw away all cookies wheny ou're done using the computer)

beyond that you may want to mention the ad to darren next time you see him and he MIGHT be able to do something about it. then again, he might not.

no no no, I'm not blocking any cookies Last time I signed into this forum was when I joined it. I said earlier that the power in my house died, and when my computer turned off suddenly like that, all the cookies apparently got erased.
                        I'll try turning off the flash player though..

Comment

that's just an odd problem because i can't think of how losing power to the puter would erase cookies unless there was some setting on the computer that got corrupted
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

How come every time I upload a custom avs whether it's from my com or a server a lot of the quality gets lost? Every1 else's custom avs look like good quality apart from mine? It's happened with more than 1 image.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think it ever happened before. Who knows. I don't care really, as long as I wouldn't have to log it for 30 minutes ever again

Hey I see you guys suggest merging here.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...71#post4753971

Comment

I have no idea why your custom av alone would be affected - there's been a couple of rounds of updates causing avs to go wonky and need to be reloaded....

Hey I see you guys suggest merging here.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...71#post4753971
                                Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X