Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still need to fix the style issues (bad link colors, mainly) -- but the discussions for Social Groups have been restored.

It looks like vB changed it so that Groups can have multiple threads, rather than just one streaming discussion.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
      I would like to know if it would be possible to put up a thread to talk about the writers of the show? Seeing if it were not for them there would not be a show?!

I know that we would follow the new outlook thing
      This is a tough one to answer because we do have the one thread that is distinct to Joe Mallozzi's blog however, we don't allow any member to disrespect him or *bash* him as it were regardless of what he says.

As to all of of the rest of the Writer's its hard to keep a reign on folks and their passions sometimes. So we have found it best to have our members do their critiquing of any given writer in the Episode thread of the actual episode the writer wrote. That way the critique is focused on the work itself and not on the actual person. There is less likely a chance for the member to fall prey to making personal commentary on the writer as a person and thus stepping over the line and making disrespectful or disparaging remarks.

The only other time you would see a deviation from this would be in either an interview thread dedicated to a specific writer or a podcast requesting member commentary. In both of these instances members can and should present their honest opinions in response to either what the writer had to say in the interview or in response to the Podcast question. However the Community Vision Statement always applies as do GateWorld rules.

In essence there are places for members to express their opinions on the writer's finished product. However we will always look for ways to save folks from themselves because we also realize that sometimes our passions can and do get the better of us.
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Did the Sparky thread just get pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
          Did the Sparky thread just get pulled.
          That's what I was wondering...I just got kicked out while perusing it. What's going on?
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
            That's what I was wondering...I just got kicked out while perusing it. What's going on?
            Same here.

I have an idea, why though. Someone reported the thread

Comment

It's on a break. It'll be back after a nice cup of tea.

(No biscuits though, that'd spoil supper.)

Madeleine

Comment

In the 'Blood on the Scales' episode discussion for BS:G, there's been some discussion about whether not comments pertaining to the next week's preview should be considered spoilers.

The 'When Should I Use Spoiler Warnings' does not explicitly state whether or not the preview that airs at the end of the episode should be considered as such.

Based on the definition of a spoiler under RULES, a preview is a spoiler as it contains information (however minimal) for the next week's show. But does it RUIN the episode in the same way that knowing that this is the episode in which Jonathan Kent dies ruins the episode and thus rise to the level of being a spoiler.
                (Regarding this week's episode of BSG...)
                Spoiler:

In last week's preview, does the fact that we saw Ellen resurrect or Anders stating 'I remember everything' ruin the episode or give away the plot? All we know is that she resurrects and he remembers. We aren't given specifics. The preview in fact is consistent with the episode description published on tvguide.com.

Furthermore, since the preview airs at the end of the episode (albeit after a commercial break) should the preview be considered a part of the viewing experience of the current week's show?

Inquiring minds want to know...and if the preview should be considered a spoiler then please up date the RULE and SPOILER tag information.

(Side note: Just because a person chooses not to watch the preview doesn't mean that they aren't exposed to the information in the normal course of watching SciFi during the rest of the week as other promos do air. Do they immediately scream and leave the room to avoid seeing them?)
                Last edited by HAL2100; 11 February 2009, 09:00 AM.
                The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

And FYI regarding that last post...

I checked the RULES and the link to the information on how to use the [SPOILER] tag is broken. It appears that the target of the link is the actual paragraph already displayed as opposed to
                  Current Link:
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?f...q_spoilerspace
                  Correct Link(?) via Google:
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?faq=post_nav

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                    In the 'Blood on the Scales' episode discussion for BS:G, there's been some discussion about whether not comments pertaining to the next week's preview should be considered spoilers.

The 'When Should I Use Spoiler Warnings' does not explicitly state whether or not the preview that airs at the end of the episode should be considered as such.

Based on the definition of a spoiler under RULES, a preview is a spoiler as it contains information (however minimal) for the next week's show. But does it RUIN the episode in the same way that knowing that this is the episode in which Jonathan Kent dies ruins the episode and thus rise to the level of being a spoiler.
                    (Regarding this week's episode of BSG...)
                    Spoiler:

In last week's preview, does the fact that we saw Ellen resurrect or Anders stating 'I remember everything' ruin the episode or give away the plot? All we know is that she resurrects and he remembers. We aren't given specifics. The preview in fact is consistent with the episode description published on tvguide.com.

Furthermore, since the preview airs at the end of the episode (albeit after a commercial break) should the preview be considered a part of the viewing experience of the current week's show?

Inquiring minds want to know...and if the preview should be considered a spoiler then please up date the RULE and SPOILER tag information.

(Side note: Just because a person chooses not to watch the preview doesn't mean that they aren't exposed to the information in the normal course of watching SciFi during the rest of the week as other promos do air. Do they immediately scream and leave the room to avoid seeing them?)
                    And FYI regarding that last post...

I checked the RULES and the link to the information on how to use the [SPOILER] tag is broken. It appears that the target of the link is the actual paragraph already displayed as opposed to
                    Current Link:
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?f...q_spoilerspace
                    Correct Link(?) via Google:
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?faq=post_nav
                    While we can appreciate your thoughts on the subject we do consider talk of the next week's episode, even the promo a spoiler and do expect folks to use the spoiler tags if for no other reason then just common courtesy for their fellow member. Granted there is not much in the promo but Sci-Fi is notorious for giving away plot points and it is just a decent thing to do for your fellow members who would prefer not to be spoiled.

Not all members who watch the show do view the next week's promo hence the reason Sci-Fi runs a commercial break first (also for the revenue of course) but many folks do tune away or walk away in order to enhance their viewing for the next week. Also folks in other Countries do not see the same thing nor always at the same time as you do.

All of the above being said, Folks who visit a BB Forum should always be aware that there is a chance of *some* spoilage and give their fellow members the benefit of the doubt that it is not something being intentionally done. That folks who inadvertently post something did not mean to spoil it for you but may have just been enthusiastic and forgot OR as the case here genuinely thought a Promo is not something that is not seen by the general masses.

That aside, we appreciate the time you took in finding the links as well
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I, for example, don't receive SCI FI Channel and watch BSG on Hulu. I couldn't participate in the "Blood On the Scales" discussion without being inundated with what appears to be some very spoilery info on the next episode.

Previews for next week aren't a part of the episode.

Comment

So I assume that the RULE and SPOILER text will be updated to explicity state that previews shouldn't be discussed openly.

Comment

So I assume that the RULE and SPOILER text will be updated to explicity state that previews shouldn't be discussed openly.
                          No, I think it should be obvious that an "episode" includes a teaser, five acts, and credits -- not one particular network's marketing efforts.

Previews are made up specifically of clips from the next episode, so in my opinion, discussing them without spoiler tags is a thoughtless and fairly egregious rule violation.

Comment

i think, if people want to discuss what's in the promo, they are free to begin a 'episode.....whatever promo/pre-airing discussion' thread and speculate their little hearts out

and stuff in that thread wouldn't need to be tagged
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I realize that vBulletin is off-the-shelf, but is it possible to build something code wise where-in there's a ranking system for Males and one for Females. For that matter, it'd be nice if you could select the ranking system you want to belong to. Worst case, I'd be up for making the suggestion to vBulletin directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                I still need to fix the style issues (bad link colors, mainly) -- but the discussions for Social Groups have been restored.

It looks like vB changed it so that Groups can have multiple threads, rather than just one streaming discussion.
                                Is there a way for users to ah....put it back to the old way?

It was rather nice to be able to pop into any given group and see what was going on, without having to navigate with what's essentially just a(n unwieldy) whole new subset of forums.

Just askin'. I was never big on the whole social groups thing when you were putting it in in the first place, so it's really no hassle for me to just not bother anymore. Only curious.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X