Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys and gals, just a quick one. In the reputation list I got a blacky/bluey/dark little square as opposed to the usual green ones. The comment was positive but what does the different colour square mean??

Cheers
    sigpic

Comment

I noticed a certain "D" word that made it through the curse filter. Any ETA on when that will be fixed?
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
        what are the rep. point rankings?
        Check out the first post in Shadow's thread (linked) for the current ranks.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18320

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        Hi guys and gals, just a quick one. In the reputation list I got a blacky/bluey/dark little square as opposed to the usual green ones. The comment was positive but what does the different colour square mean??

Cheers
        The grey block is for neutral rep and means it was a pat on the back from a new member.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
          I noticed a certain "D" word that made it through the curse filter. Any ETA on when that will be fixed?
          likely not. the D word is not one that we consider 'bad' enough to be filtered.

The word filter isn't perfect, because if we took out every single word that anyone considers offensive, we'd have whole posts that are nothing but asterisks

A general guide is that this is a PG to PG-13 forum, and words they'd say on the show are words we allow here

there's also the issue of the word filter not being very smart. for example, if we set up hell in the word filter, no one would be able to say hello....because it'd come out ****o
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hrm, the three letter word restriction needs looking at:

Ori
            ATA
            ZPM
            SGA

etc...
            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

all you need to do for three letter word searches is add the "*" asterisk at the end of the word and you will be fine

It is a VB restriction not a GW restriction.
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I have another question...

Will the Stargate Movie part of the forum be split up into Atlantis and SG1? Or will that always remain one big cluttered item? Or will the Atlantis film just go up in the list with AoT and C?
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
                  what are the rep. point rankings?
                  Was this ever answered? I know "what" my next level is going to be....I would like to know "when" [ie what number] that will happen if at all possible.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
                    Was this ever answered? I know "what" my next level is going to be....I would like to know "when" [ie what number] that will happen if at all possible.
                    Darren has purposely left the "amount" of rep points needed for each rank a mystery.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I have another question...

Will the Stargate Movie part of the forum be split up into Atlantis and SG1? Or will that always remain one big cluttered item? Or will the Atlantis film just go up in the list with AoT and C?
                      i'm gonna presume that all the movies will be together until we get some definite and concrete word on any atlantis movie

when that happens, darren will rethink the issue

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                        Darren has purposely left the "amount" of rep points needed for each rank a mystery.
                        ahhhhhh okay. figures. Thank you!
                        sigpic

Comment

Is there any setting whereby I can choose NOT to see the formatting people apply to their posts? I don't mind the odd bit of colour or italics for emphasis, but it's really annoying when folk post in a multitude of emboldened colours.

From a usability POV, it's seriously bad practice; your eye is drawn to the text that is "different" and slows down the reading of the page.

Sorry to sound like a cantankerous luddite. Ultimately I'm here for discussion about the SG* series and BSG. It's unfair that people choose to disrupt the information flow by drawing attention to their own comments, over others.

I honestly liken it to shouting one's opinion loudly, at the expense of others'. Therefore, I'm sure I'm not alone in desiring the ability to render posts in the "standard" (arial, black-on-white) schema.

Failing that, how about a guidline suggesting (for reasons above + others) that folk keep it to black-on-white unless to emphasise parts of their post? I think an actual rule on the matter would be a bit too much.

Just a thought, what do people think?

Cheers, M.

For reference, I've simply made the same post Bold & Blue to illustrate my point

Comment

I can't say that i disagree with you, but I'm not sure if there's a way. That's probably a question for Darren.

The only thing i could suggest that i know would work is, when you come across a person whose whole post is full of the bolded colors, just put them on ignore. Not perfect, i know, but a way to avoid it all

sigpic

Comment

Cheers mate - hope you see I'm trying to be constructive with this? On other boards I've used or mod'd, colours are disabled.

Anyway, how do I ignore somebody please? I can't find any reference to it. I don't want to ignore anybody; but let's face it, the quality of comment in indigo/bold/comic-sans is usually less than other posts

Comment

you do have to have the firefox or safari browser i'm afraid. because do ignore someone you need to be able to see the tabs in their profile and, last i knew, you couldn't do that with IE (an IE quirk that we can't fix)

go into their profile
                                under the main picture, look for a little down arrow and 'user lists'
                                click that arrow, and a drop down menu comes up and 'ignore user' is an option.
                                select that and follow the on screen instructions

another way
                                on the control panel on the left there's the choice 'settings and options'
                                in there is 'edit your ignore list'
                                select that and you'll see a dialogue box to 'add person to your ignore list'
                                type in their user name and voila, you don't see their posts

all you see when someone is on ignore is a little banner saying 'so and so is on your ignore list' and if you want to read their post, you have a little link you can click on to read the post

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X