X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
    Sorry but I think this thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27718
    is just a blatant attempt at bumping up post counts, I suggest it should be moved to the Off Topic folder, you know, stop tat, if you disagree, well I see why, Im just sayin is all. Also, I might seem a bit of a hipocrite for posting in there at least 10times myself, my excuse: well to be honest Im bored
    I've addressed this one, and the over night copies of it in an above post
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Can we please merge this thread:

New Trek Film announcement

With this thread

The Star Trek: XI Speculation/Rumors Thread

And I just want to say, if you never had stickied my Star Trek XI thread, I think it would have pretty much died (when i request the Sticky, I think it was already on the 2nd page of the Star Trek Folder/Forum). Guess you guys pretty much save lives, I mean threads, not lives.

Thank You, guys.
      sigpic

Comment

Its not being merged mainly because it is a News-release regarding the movie rather than *Fan speculation/rumor* regarding the movie. Since some of the information within the article comes from "official sources and is not just fans giving their personal opinions and or thoughts.
        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I just found out that my Character tournament thread had been moved to Off Topic Chatter. I'm just wondering at the thinking behind that. I searched to see if there was another going and then put it General Stargate Discussion where most of the other tournaments were (and still are).

I rarely wander into Off Topic Chatter and would never think to look in there for something related to SG1 characters, and some of the posters in the thread wouldn't either. Would it be better to create a sub category in General discussion for Tournaments?

Just wondering.
          -

Comment

WARNING!

SOmeone's got a trojan worm or something like it in one of their posts/sigs on these two threads in season three atlantis:

Who wins in a knife fight-Teal'c or Ronin?

Kate Hewlett to be cast as McKay's Sister

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27759

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27758

Whenever I access these threads, I get a Norton antivirus alert of a worm intrusion that's been blocked. I'd advise folks stay off those threads until it's handled as apparently it could pose a security threat

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/att...gs/s20510.html details the problem

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              WARNING!

SOmeone's got a trojan worm or something like it in one of their posts/sigs on these two threads in season three atlantis:

Whenever I access these threads, I get a Norton antivirus alert of a worm intrusion that's been blocked. I'd advise folks stay off those threads until it's handled as apparently it could pose a security threat

I hope you've PMed each Mod to let them know of this!

Adrianne
              If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
              It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                I just found out that my Character tournament thread had been moved to Off Topic Chatter. I'm just wondering at the thinking behind that. I searched to see if there was another going and then put it General Stargate Discussion where most of the other tournaments were (and still are).

I rarely wander into Off Topic Chatter and would never think to look in there for something related to SG1 characters, and some of the posters in the thread wouldn't either. Would it be better to create a sub category in General discussion for Tournaments?

Just wondering.
                Please see Skydiver's post regarding this
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

WARNING!

I have accessed both and my virus detector is not finding anything... which could mean anything....

I did see that one member has a doo-dad in their signature that grabs your IP and such and that could possibly be what is setting off your Virus detector. That signature is in both threads.

*shrug* the problem here is not being able to recreate your issue. However, I will post this to Darren and Greg as well to review

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                    I have accessed both and my virus detector is not finding anything... which could mean anything....

I did see that one member has a doo-dad in their signature that grabs your IP and such and that could possibly be what is setting off your Virus detector. That signature is in both threads.

*shrug* the problem here is not being able to recreate your issue. However, I will post this to Darren and Greg as well to review
                    Why would anyone have a 'doodad' to grab your IP? Shouldn't that not be allowed?

Comment

I have one question for the Moderators. How do I go about making a poll? Thanks.

Great Sig by Bella

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fantastic
                        I have one question for the Moderators. How do I go about making a poll? Thanks.
                        you pm a mod with your question and list of options...just how you want them and we'll make the poll

if you want it attached to an existing thread, then we need the location/url of htat

sigpic

Comment

Why would anyone have a 'doodad' to grab your IP? Shouldn't that not be allowed?
                          it's been discussed and all he's doing is having a bit of code that pulls info that every person broadcasts when they're on the net

they just don't realize it.

probably what's setting off norton is that it pulls your OS info, which it gets from your puter

It set off my intrusion alert too.

darren and greg have been notified and will that whatever action they feel appropriate

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            it's been discussed and all he's doing is having a bit of code that pulls info that every person broadcasts when they're on the net

they just don't realize it.

probably what's setting off norton is that it pulls your OS info, which it gets from your puter

It set off my intrusion alert too.

darren and greg have been notified and will that whatever action they feel appropriate
                            Why do I have this vision of Red lights popping out of your computer and a voice yelling *Intruder alert Intruder Alert*...

Comment

I've checked these threads, and I agree that the only thing that might be setting off your security software is the IP / OS / browser info grabber that a member has in his sig. It's a little rude, in my opinion, but it's not a security violation. Most machines on the Internet don't hide this information, and a simple script on any Web site can grab it. (Many traffic statistics programs do this, actually, so that the webmaster can get aggregate data on where visitors are coming from, what browsers they are using, etc.)

To my knowledge it's not possible to get a virus by browsing a Web page or forum. The Symantec page linked to is unrelated, and describes a way to do a Denial Of Service attack on an Apache Web server. It would slow down the Web server, but couldn't infect any end-user computers with anything.

Thanks!
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Who is it that is pulling information off our computers? If Gateworld is going to allow them to do this, then we have the right to know who it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X