X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
    Dear Moderators,

I've noticed for awhile now there are some people who don't seem to understand the proper etiquette of posting pics. For instance, some posters leave the images in their quote, or they don't shrink oversized pics. Is there a way we can crack down on this? Do you need us to inform them by PM-ing them, or is it better if you Mods do you it?
    If people post pics that are too big, please report the posts that way the mods are spanking people, not the random poster

as to quoting pics in quotes, that is also one of those 'but how bad is it' things. Some threads only have a very few pictures so if one is quoted once or twice, it's not that big of a deal. But in other threads - such as for me personally, being on dialup, i don't go to the thunk threads because they just take waaaayyyy too long to load since they're crammed full of pics - then yes, it can be a problem

You can also report those posts but in that case it can also be a time to gently remind folks 'please don't quote pictures' along with remembering not to do so yourself.

A lot of the quoting pics rules do tend to get enforced when it upsets someone. For example, if all the folks in the daniel thunk thread love seeing the same pic 10 times over and don't care, then it's a case of 'no harm, no foul' and folks can have thier fun.

It just becomes an issue when it upsets or annoys folks. And then they do need to let the mods know so we can be the bad guys rather than yourselves
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      It just becomes an issue when it upsets or annoys folks. And then they do need to let the mods know so we can be the bad guys rather than yourselves
      I really appreciate your coming out and stating this, as I agree that it is much better coming from a mod than an individual poster. I have tried all methods to get posters to conform to the GW rules, from a nice PM, pointing out a link to the appropriate FAQ page, an open reminder in a thread, and reporting posts to a mod. Some people take it well. Some people take the most well-intentioned reminders as severe criticism and flame out in anger.

I would like to point out, though, that it has been said that some mods prefer posters to "police themselves" when possible. IMHO this doesn't work nearly as well as using the "report a post" function. I know it makes more work for you mods , but it surely keeps a few flame wars from happening.

Comment

it often depends on folks' personalities. some take a nice friendly warning well, others have a 'you're just a regular poster you have no right to tell me what to do' attitude

so it is a 'rule' that varies from poster to poster. if you think that someone will take friendly advice well and want to tell them, sure, you're more than free to mention that quoting pictures is bad

however if you think that that person won't take it well and will only listen to someone in authority, then don't engage them, let the mods deal with it. That's what we're here for.

we also, have the ability to 'make' something happen. if too many folks are quoting pictures and it annoys folks in a thread, we have the power to edit thier posts, something the average poster can't do. We can edit sigs and moderate people. Normally, we don't pry into their personal postings/lives, but we will if we need to (such as, i would never edit someone's sig just because i dont' like it. I will if it violates the forum rules and i've asked that person to change thier sig and they refuse. the one exception to that is if their sig is something particularly icky or rude or inflammatory....then we will edit without asking)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
          The large data file required by the View Forum Leaders button usually causes Internet Explorer to crash. The problem is attributed to the physical size of the data file (because there's 11,000+ members here at GW) and the way Internet Explorer handles the loading of extremely large data files (very poorly).
          Ah now i understand...thanks TechnoWraith
          Originally posted by Darren
          There doesn't seem to be anything we can do about this IE issue, so I would recommend that IE users either: 1) stop clicking that link!; or 2) get Firefox. It rocks a good deal.
          Originally posted by Qasim
          Usually IE hasnt crashed but seems crashed because xp goes into 'crash mode' too quickly - usually IE is just still loading the page
          I think i will get firefox ...
          *Waves fist at windows logo and curses bill gates and microsofts crap attempts to make software that actually works
          Thanks for the help and info guys
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Any chance a mod could make this thread a sticky
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18752

Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
              Ah now i understand...thanks TechnoWraith
              I think i will get firefox ...
              Alleluia! He has seen the light and rejected the false god Bill Gates! Come know the power and truth of FIREFOX! All Hail MOZILLA! Hallowed is MOZILLA!

www.spreadFireFox.com
              "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
                Alleluia! He has seen the light and rejected the false god Bill Gates! Come know the power and truth of FIREFOX! All Hail MOZILLA! Hallowed is MOZILLA!

www.spreadFireFox.com
                LMAO...bill gates is a DEMON!!! (i always knew that )
                The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                  Any chance a mod could make this thread a sticky
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18752

Thanks
                  done

sigpic

Comment

Oh hallowed Moderators! We lay prostrate beescheeing thee to consider the worthiness of FIREFOX as the holy ordained web browser for this domain! We emplore thee to spread the holy word of MOZILLIA and save us from the scourge that is Bill Gates and his abomination - IE!

(Translation: Would you consider posting links and/or a Firefox download icon on GateWorld? More information is available at www.spreadFireFox.com)

All Hail the Moderators! Hallowed are the Moderators!
                    "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

that's not a moderator question, that's a darren question

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                        LMAO...bill gates is a DEMON!!! (i always knew that )
                        Maybe he's an Ori in disguise!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          done
                          Thanks, useful thread huh!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey,

This is just out of pure curiosity. Basically concerning the rpg this is the best of my knowledge about it (correct me if im wrong): GW didnt have an rpg, so a couple of normal members decided to make one and use the old fandom folder as a base. Then due to its expansion with threads and demand for more space GW granted this particular rpg with a folder.

Now, considering it is purely member run, not staff, and the fact its only occassionally modded by staff when they are requested to close a topic or something in there...is the current role playing game in there about the alpha site the official GW rpg. Now if so shouldnt a staffer be running it? And if not...theorertically anybody could open up some threads and start a random rpg completely independent to the current alpha site based one thats in there.

Im just a little confused is all, if we cant make up our own stargate rps in that folder then it would appear the one Proxy and Colonel Sharp currently host is an official one...but an official rp with next to none staff input sounds odd.

So yeah, clear up my confusion please

Comment

I'M NOT A MOD... But as I understand it, Darren was reluctant to even grant an area to the RPG'ers because he doubted its ability to sustain itself. They managed to prove themselves to be earnest or capable, or just so dang pesky about it that he finally caved and made the space for 'em. But the RPG section is not "official" on any way, shape, or form.

I don't know anything about "other" RPGs, but I don't see why others couldn't be started, except for the potential confusion that would result.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                confusion that would result.
                                For that very reason I doubt another could survive - it may even end them both
                                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X