This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice: Failed Database Server

One of the Dual Xeon servers in our database cluster broke last night, causing a whole heap of issues for end users. We have had to roll-back to the latest backup, which was taken at 12:30pm AWST (GMT+8) last night.

Any posts, threads or registrations after that will need to be remade.

Appoligies to all concerned.

Originally posted by Greg
    One of the Dual Xeon servers in our database cluster broke last night, causing a whole heap of issues for end users. We have had to roll-back to the latest backup, which was taken at 12:30pm AWST (GMT+8) last night.

Any posts, threads or registrations after that will need to be remade.

Appoligies to all concerned.
    So that's where my PC got the big idea from...

Hope you get it sorted soon...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Forgive my saying so but there's very little point to post it here if you can't get here.

Board problems should be posted on the main site to let people know there's a problem.

It's like leaving an outgoing message on your answering machine that says, "we don't have phone service."

Comment

Darren posted that there was trouble on the Alphasite list. Greg posted the specifics, here. The fact that he COULD post the specifics shows that the problem was fixed, otherwise he couldn't have posted. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
          It's like leaving an outgoing message on your answering machine that says, "we don't have phone service."
          I read it as an answering machine message that says "The ansaphone wasn't working yesterday, so if you left a message after 1230 AWST please be aware it got wiped unread". Which is worth telling, I reckon.

Madeleine

Comment

This thread was (and could be) only posted after the forum came back online.

Any news during downtime will be found at:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/gateworldalphasite/
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Ack.

Computers suck.

*kicks computer*

*computer explodes*

... Uh-oh...

How am I supposed to explain this to the boss on Tuesday...

I'm just wondering, when do you think all will be well again?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Wow. Just don't kick/'splode you-know-who's super-computer, marty.

That's ghastly. I'm still reeling over the New Posts button's diseappearance so...

Hope ya'll get it fixed.
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                  Wow. Just don't kick/'splode you-know-who's super-computer, marty.

That's ghastly. I'm still reeling over the New Posts button's diseappearance so...

Hope ya'll get it fixed.
                  ... Who's computer are you refering to?

My sister's? She'd kill me.

I don't want it destroyed. I just want it lol.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                  Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Ahhh asi. Heck, I want it too. Maybe if you give her a few sleeping pills and just ship it to me...no?

I hope I don't kill my compy trying to get a good video editor.

TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Glad to know we are back up
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

We have finally found the source of our five-month long MySQL woes. The issue has been solved completely, and the search index is now rebuilding. Once this is done, all search features will be back online.
                        Turns out I missed this particular announcement, posted way back on the 10th. It's been two and a half weeks. How long does it take for a search index to build? Is it because there are masses and masses of posts to be catalogued?

Also...

On Wednesday the 31st of August, from 6:30am AWST to 9:00am AWST (GMT+0800), the Gateworld Forums will be unreachable, while UPS upgrades are carried out on our Datacenter.

Normal Forum operation will resume after maintainence is complete.
                        Will the search option be re-enabled at this point? And do these two announcements mean that- theoretically- everything should be better, now? The mySQL problem is completely fixed and won't cause random outages anymore, right? Now it's just when the server crashes or we have upgrades that things will go wonky?

And is there any projected release date for the VB software upgrade?

Edit:

And for those who suck at math like I do:
                        Wednesday, 31st of August, from 6:30am AWST to 9:00am AWST
                        Tuesday, 30th of August, at 6:30pm to 9:00pm- EST. Or EDT. East USA.
                        Last edited by ShadowMaat; 28 August 2005, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Turns out I missed this particular announcement, posted way back on the 10th. It's been two and a half weeks. How long does it take for a search index to build? Is it because there are masses and masses of posts to be catalogued?

Also...

Will the search option be re-enabled at this point? And do these two announcements mean that- theoretically- everything should be better, now? The mySQL problem is completely fixed and won't cause random outages anymore, right? Now it's just when the server crashes or we have upgrades that things will go wonky?

And is there any projected release date for the VB software upgrade?

Edit:

And for those who suck at math like I do:
                          Wednesday, 31st of August, from 6:30am AWST to 9:00am AWST
                          Tuesday, 30th of August, at 6:30pm to 9:00pm- EST. Or EDT. East USA.
                          The Search Announcement has been modified - it was the same announcement posted when i disabled the search. The Postindex is Re-indexing now. It is at around 100,000 of ~750,000 posts, and could be up to a day before it is 100% done. Once that is complete, Search will be re-enabled.

And yep, the MySQL bug means that we can take upto 5000 users online before the DB server will complain. We have redundancy on our DB & Webservers, which means that "theoretically" minus scheduled maintainence, we should be able to provide 100% forum uptime from now on.

Comment

We have redundancy on our DB & Webservers, which means that "theoretically" minus scheduled maintainence, we should be able to provide 100% forum uptime from now on.
                            *dances*
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Just over half way in the Search rebuild, i estimate 2 or so hours before its back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X