No announcement yet.

Enigma (116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm doing a S1 rewatch...and almost skipped this episode....I just don't like the Tollans and Narim is just...I dunno....ick....he just rubs me the wrong way.

The whole phasing through walls thing is still cool though....
    My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
      I'm doing a S1 rewatch...and almost skipped this episode....I just don't like the Tollans and Narim is just...I dunno....ick....he just rubs me the wrong way.

I've actually never seen any of SG-1 and am watching S1 for the first time. It was a pretty boring episode. The romance felt forced a bit, too. The cat was awesome, though. XD
      <sig removed for violating respecting the cast and crew rules>

Comment

Re-watching this episode and I can't help but wonder: What would the Tollan think of humanity if they'd only encountered us in the series present, that is, with all the Asgard tech and ships, and defeated the Goauld etc.

Would they still see us as dangerously primitive? More dangerous than ever?

Also: Always like Lya. She seemed a bit happier to be proactive and help out humans. It's a shame the Nox kind of faded out though I understand there's not really a whole lot interesting you can do with them that doesn't just break the series.

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post

Originally posted by Huge Gold Space Cadillac View Post
          The cat was awesome, though. XD
          I totally agree
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cello View Post

So do I! I still can't understand why he wasn't grateful for the rescue.
            Now this is pure guesswork and as far as I know there have been no references made to this in any episode at all. But I think that the Tollen may have access to a sarcophagus or something of that nature because just after Omoc is introduced there is the following exchange;

OMOC: There was a rescue transport on the way.

O'NEILL: Well, half your people were already dead. I don't think it would have gotten there in time.

OMOC: Perhaps that's more of a problem for you than it was for us.
            Now that makes me think that they can bring someone back from the dead.

Even if this was true Omoc could have been nicer to SG1.

Another point is that no one seemed to think of using the Stargate to goto a planet that was nearer their new homeworld and send a message to them to be picked up from there. But that idea wouldn't have brought back the Nox who are always good.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco View Post
              No they don't

You're right we did meet other advanced peoples. It's just that for me, the Tollans are the first race that we meet that actually "feels" advanced.

Plus I've always thought of the Nox as more biological then technelogical, though I know they do have technology, they don't seem to care about it or why the heck would you live in a hut with no amenities? (They wouldn't share either )

The Oannes -- those were Nem's people right? -- Did he say were his people were? We only ever saw him. I guess he just struck me as a loner, not so much as a people.

OR my brain wasn't working and I just forgot about them
              from what we saw of Thor's mothership, I think we could've deduced they were clearly minimally as advanced though know we know a heck of a lot more as one o the ultr-advanced 4 races
              If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
              [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

b) Omac was a true leader, carring for his people's safety (wish we could've seen some more of him);
                Spoiler:
                those Goa'uld *******s just had to kill him

The Goa'uld didn't kill him; some of his fellow Tollan did to prevent him from snitching on the fact they were collab w/ Goa'uld
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                  I thought this was an ok episode and we got to dip a toe into Mayborne's psyche. I didn't find the Tollan all that sympathetic, but I could understand how they felt about the issue.

One thing that bugged me (and this is probably because I've taken graduate level classes in the history of science and technology) was Daniel's comment about the Dark Ages. I realize it's a cliche to say "if it weren't for the Dark Ages..." but the fact is that statement is patently false. First, technology doesn't really have a linear progression (in fact many scholars who study this hate the concept of "progress"). Also, it's very Western European centric, Daniel forgets about the various glories of the Islamic and Asian civilizations during the "Dark Ages." Again, this totally comes from my educational experience and I realize that many people who haven't really studied these things in-depth probably wouldn't nit-pick like that.
                  excellent pointin out of these 2 concepts viewers would benefit to keep in mind

Comment

Originally posted by hawk97135 View Post
                    Now this is pure guesswork and as far as I know there have been no references made to this in any episode at all. But I think that the Tollen may have access to a sarcophagus or something of that nature because just after Omoc is introduced there is the following exchange;

Now that makes me think that they can bring someone back from the dead.

Even if this was true Omoc could have been nicer to SG1.

Another point is that no one seemed to think of using the Stargate to goto a planet that was nearer their new homeworld and send a message to them to be picked up from there. But that idea wouldn't have brought back the Nox who are always good.
                    think he means more of a problem fr Earth's supposed transport vessels fr his peoples' transport vessel to getthere in time

Comment

I actually quite like this episode. I mean meeting another advanced race of people. (though they don't share their technology) And MAINLY because of how sweet the couple of Narim/Sam are. (i dont care if that isn't Narim. ) I mean I reallyy LOVE Jack/Sam but Narim is a good guy as well.
                      sigpic
                      My tumblr

Comment

Narmi annoyed the heck out of me.

But overall this episode is good and I liked seeing the Tollan folk in other episodes as well.

Comment

So, Enigma. It was a really good episode to me, though it lacked just a few pointers to reach the outstanding rank.

First of all, it was really nice to see a really advanced human race of Earth origins, and it was twice nice to see them far more advanced than us, Terrans, or the Goa'Uld. (And it was very surprising to learn that they don't give a damn about the snakes). In fact the Tollan are so advanced that we can't even reverse-engineer their tech, simply because we can't find out what makes it tick. Like Sam said in the beginning, we were unable to find something familiar in their devices, and only were able to detect weak radiation from the energy sources. No matter what they seem to be, Tollan have much more advanced tech than us or Goa'Uld, being second only to Nox thus far and probably as advanced as Oannes are, so it's much more safe for us to have them as allies, rather than trying to keep them prisoners, like Maybourne was going to. It would be truly a disaster for Earth at that time to face a Tollan fleet or something coming to rescue their brethren from the captivity. I'm sure that they would easily find a moment to covertly send the message to Tollana, like Omac send it to the Nox. So I agree with Hammond's and SG-1 decision to help them out of the trouble.

Now, about their seeming arrogance, especially about Omac. At first, you (well, it was my personal feeling, and I guess many shared it) want to introduce a sword or a bat to his face. But later in the episode, when Narim tells Sam what happened to Serita, it becomes clear why they behave so, why Omac strictly refuses to share their tech with Terrans and seems to be so arrogant and annoying. He's simply trying to protect us, an inferior race from the possible destruction caused by this new technology which we cannot handle. And that's why he so rudely refuses very polite and respectful offer of Tuplo to settle in the Land of Light, calling them even more primitive than us. If we on our current level of knowledge have a very vague opportunity to avoid a catastrophe, they don't stand a chance. "Serita can happen everywhere." And Tollan don't want another Serita. Somebody posted earlier that Tuplo deserved such treatment because the people of the Land of Light were also very reluctant and it was very hard to convince them that their friends and relatives can be cured. But there's a difference. They were so reluctant because they were afraid to give their blood away, even a small dose, not because they were arrogant. Besides, returning to the arrogant Omac, I agree with the opinion that their bad attitude was caused by the sudden lose of their home and of all they were used to. After all he said thank you to Daniel and that Narim was right. He was much more pleasant at that moment than in the beginning, especially when he expressed his hopes to see SG-1 again.

Narim's turn. Well, he was the only one of Tollan who was friendly towards Terrans, especially towards Sam. He seemed to be the only one willing to cooperate, and it was pleasant to see him on the screen. Heh, he was genuinely amused by the eagle. And by Schrodinger too. He nearly fell in love with the poor cat. And also he was the only real source of information we had. (Omac told only the basics, who they were and where they were from). And Narim was the link between us and Omac, convincing him and others that at least SG-1 wants to help them to get home. The only thing I disliked about him and about this episode, was his obsession with Sam. If he remained just friendly, it'd be enough in my opinion. The forming relationship just spoiled the episode. Bah, the kiss wasn't necessary at all! But I have to admit that our Daniel has the habit of somewhat horrible timing. And I would bite my right ear off to see Jack instead of him in that scene!

Technology that we saw. Tollan technology seems to be very yummy. Well, I'd not mind to have a phase-shifting device they used to walk through the walls. I read somewhere else, not in this thread, that if this device shifts phase of the owners and the one who is in close physical contact with them, then why don't they fall down to the centre of the Earth? Well, in my physicist opinion, it's because the plane of oscillations remains ortogonal to the ground, thus preventing the forementioned fall. The communication device is nice too. And the emotions recorder is very good. Somebody told that they need those devices because the Tollan ceased to show their emotions, but I think that sometimes, when no words could express your feelings, that device would be more than handy.

Lya's appearance was brilliant. I loved the Tollan escape scene, when she activates the gate instantly, and steals all the weapons from the soldiers. And it was extremely pleasant to see Maybourne pissed off, and to imagine what will happen to him in Washington, but Maybourne is a guy you love to hate.

And, of course, the cat was a brilliant actor, he outshone all others. I want a cat with such pattern too...

And, to conclude my post, I also wonder why this episode is called "Enigma"? Were the Tollan enigma? Or was it enigmatic that SG-1 visited Tollan homeworld with a perfect timing to save Omac's group? Well, to me, the biggest enigma is how their communication device works, and I can't stop wondering what Omac tried to explain to Daniel with that vine? If we aren't folding the space, then what do we do? An enigma!

9/10.
                          Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 06 July 2010, 09:13 AM.
                          Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Enjoyable if not outstanding episode. Hated Col. Mayborn though, and I guess that's the point. I find the Tollan tech fascinating.
                            sigpic

Comment

This was a good story, because it broadened the universe, adding another advanced race and its tantalizing history.

I was impressed by the logical consequences of their history in their leader's demeanor. In fact I think humans would not use Tollan technology so much to start a Third World War as to destroy our planet's environment irretrievably. After which, humans would spread like a plague of viruses throughout the system of stargates, spoiling every other world ina search for profits and consumer pleasures.

Maybourne may have been on the right side (the defense of earth and humanity) but his wilful ignorance was what made him dangerous and mortally foolish. He and most humans rarely try to understand why things are or what their consequences are, but rather just try to get a working knowledge.

Furthermore, some have posted here that the defense of the earth should take priority over doing the right thing. But what is the point of humanity if we turn to evil to support material existence? Of course we will often do morally reprehensible things, but it is our reluctance to do so, our refusal to do so and our regret to have done so which ennobles us. As someone else has said here, worthwhile fiction (including televised drama) wrestles with these questions.

"Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

(On a less serious note, I was not at all bothered by Sam's abortive relationship with the Tollan, since I myself cannot see Jack being a proper soul mate for her: he is too deeply ignorant, often wilfully so (such as when he frequently dismisses her attempts at explanation, being only interested in a simple picture). The Tollan was too immature for Sam, but it would be more worth her efforts to teach him about emotions than to teach Jack about the value of education.)

Comment

I definitely thought this was one of the strongest episodes up until this point.

My only gripe is the fact that the guy that was given the cat seemed to fall in love with Samantha so quickly. It's one of the most overused devices in sci-fi shows since they tend to feel the need to wrap everything up in one episode.
                                Last edited by FrodoFraggins; 18 March 2011, 10:55 PM.
                                Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Working...
                                X