No announcement yet.

Enigma (116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like this episode.I didn't like how Omac was with everyone at first, good thing that he was better at the end of the episode.
    Narim and Sam, they would have been great together, too bad it couldn't happen.
    Lya was amazing, like the first time. I love to see her in another episode, it was really good and the escape scene was amazing, I love it.
    It would have been nice to see the Tollan and the Nox again later on the seasons, maybe for the final season, they would have been of great help fighting the Ori, too bad they never saw them again.
    sigpic
    Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

They saw the tolans many times through out the series. and the knox you saw one person here and there. But I've said it before and i will say it again the tollans and the knox are just as guilty as the goa'uld They had the ability to take them down and they didn't. In the long run the goa'uld took out the tolans because like the goa'uld do they found better tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfox1313 View Post
        They saw the tolans many times through out the series. and the knox you saw one person here and there. But I've said it before and i will say it again the tollans and the knox are just as guilty as the goa'uld They had the ability to take them down and they didn't. In the long run the goa'uld took out the tolans because like the goa'uld do they found better tech.
        You are quite right. The Tollans and Nox are guilty. Either one of them could have helped (i'm not saying fight out and out wars with the Goa'uld) But they sure could have shared some tech or helped in other ways. The Nox (as far as we know) are still out there living the high life, untouched by oppression, but the Tollans paid a heavy price for their head in the sand, we share with no one policy.
        Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Starfox1313 View Post
          Unless SG1 saw the Tollans between episodes, there were only about 4 episodes any of the Tollans were seen in.

Enigma
          Shades of Grey
          Pretense
          Between Two Fires

I don't really see the Nox as being guilty of anything. They were pacifists, and that meant not getting involved in any kind of dispute, and if they did it would be to assist both sides (as they did in "The Nox"). And even in "Pretense", Lya only hid one of the weapons, she didn't fire it. The Nox did walk a very fine line sometimes, though, between helping and not helping.

Narim and Sam, they would have been great together, too bad it couldn't happen.
          I have to disagree completely with this. Narim was a nice guy. But he was arrogant and condescending, and didn't have a sense of humor. Had they gotten together, it would not have lasted long (IMO), because Sam simply prefers her life to be more exciting than it would be with him. He was a nice, but rather dull character (IMO again). I doubt he would have come to live on earth and stay there with such an "inferior" race, and Sam would never have felt comfortable on Tollana being around people who thought of her as being "inferior", even if she did get to learn about their technology and such.

=Noxbait]The Nox (as far as we know) are still out there living the high life, untouched by oppression, but the Tollans paid a heavy price for their head in the sand, we share with no one policy
          That is their right. Unless somebody actually intrudes on their planet, they don't go out of their way to travel to other planets and visit other cultures. They are quite happy to cut themselves off from the rest of the galaxy (whether anyone else likes it or not). Also whether anyone likes it or not, compared to the Nox, the Tau'ri are very young and impressionable and haven't learned enough to be trusted with superior knowledge (or weapons). We like to think we are, and, in fact, parts of earth's population is. But, in fact, we are not.

Comment

I can see where you are coming from concerning the Tolan, but if I had been in O'Mauc's position, I would have done the same thing for the protection of my people concerning sharing knowledge and technology. The Tolan had already seen what happened by allowing their technology to be used by other beings when that other planet's inhabitants destroyed themselves with it. I can't, and don't blame the Tolan for their polacy of not sharing with anyone. After being burned once their feared the fire. I can understand that.

Narim and Sam, no, that would not last very long.
            "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
            "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

There are fans who dislike the Tolons, but I love this episode and also like the Tolons despite their haughtiness. Loved to see Lya again. Her comment to Daniel -- "Your race has learned nothing, but you have." -- is the perfect blend of disappointment and hope. Lya is awesome.

Narim: "Our sleeping platforms adjust automatically. They don't come with accoutrements." Every time I watch this episode, that line shakes my suspension of disbelief. I understand the practical necessity for everyone to speak one language, but when people from alien worlds use words that are adopted from other Earth languages (like accoutrement, which is French), it reminds me of the absurdity of the show's universal language, you know? It jolts me out of the fantasy world and back to reality, even if only for a moment.

Good episode, continuing the general first season trend from lackluster to remarkable.

Comment

I remember when I 1st watched this episode loads of years ago after the 1st scene where Omoc tells Carter not to save them, the last thing I expected from those people was for them to be advanced civ. Really enjoyed the episode primarily because Maybourne got screwed. have I told anyone that I hate politics? And Lya was there, helped out in this situation.
                Was weird hearing Hammond asking Sg-1 of what happened after they got last person trough the gate. I don't think that SG1 managed to rescue all those people in couple of seconds. I am sure Hammond and whole SGC had a chance to know what is happening, not specifics but that there was a volcanic activity and stuff. And SG1 had to dial back and ask for help to rescue those people, afterall they are only 4 of them and they rescued 10 people. So during that period quick info should have been given to SGC, so I think that question was a bit out of place.
                I didn't enjoy Omoc's tone towards the team. I know you are more advanced than us by couple of hundred years, but you don't need to be an a** about it. I know they were cautious about less advanced, sorry, primitive, civs because of what happened with their neighbours, but again, they shouldn't not have been complete a**es about it. Just say politely that we do not share tech, we can be friends but no tech sharing, or we cannot be friends.
                I think they themselves were still too young to treat people who saved them like that and what happened to them later in the series was because their overconfidence. They are advanced, but not enough to feel the way they did. That is why I liked Nox, as they were waaaay more advanced than Tollan and were quite polite towards us and they had a right to be confident in themselves.
                Also that were no birds in Tollan shows a lot that they are still very young.
                And I completely shocked about Daniel, when he mentioned Nox to Tollans:
                <..>people were as advanced as you, maybe even more advanced.
                In my mind Nox were at least 100s of thousands years further advanced than anything in this galaxy we met. I know early in the series, still inexperienced
                And Narim, walking trough walls, way to impress a girl
                'What do you mean, disappeared?'
                'I mean... like... pooof, sir'
                And Lya opening the wormhole is one of the coolest scenes for me in the series
                sigpic

Comment

Lot of superior/inferior focus. Not saying that they are similar, much, but if Kinsey were representative of U.S. congress, well, I'd actually be glad all the superior races kept their superior technology to themselves!
                  Jack's "Amuck" was a slap me rosy moment. And of course we have our first appearance of a UAV and of Maybourne. Daniel is still open, honest, curious and innocent and that's what draws Omac to in the end respect, if not be amused, by the Tauri.
                  A cute ep, if not a little sappy, "What your mind doesn't know your heart fills in." sign.

Comment

Liked this episode. I also liked the scenes between Narim and Sam. He had such a peaceful calm in his voice. He understood Omac's point of view along with the SG command's point of view and tried to join the two.

Maybourne!! I like him throughout the series and the banter between him and Jack starts in this ep...Also liked how Gen Hammond handles Maybourne in the briefing room..."That's an order "col"

Hate politics in general

Loved the ending ...The Nox...Lya..."Your race has learned nothing, but you have"...Jack: "God I love those people"

Overall, it wasn't one of my fav episodes of season one but having watched again (3rd rewatch) I think it is a pivotal episode for the story arc down the line...

Comment

Question: Is there anyway the UAV's can return back on their own to command? If they send one thru n cant get back, isn't that tax dollars being misspent...imagine they are not a cheap asset. Just wondering. Maybe somehow they can be programmed to access DHD and dial home. Don't remember if this is established down the line or not, but it would be good to get them back w/o having someone on the other side to bring them back.

Comment

interesting episode loved the Nox at the end
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by lookupwardsnshare View Post
                          Question: Is there anyway the UAV's can return back on their own to command? If they send one thru n cant get back, isn't that tax dollars being misspent...imagine they are not a cheap asset. Just wondering. Maybe somehow they can be programmed to access DHD and dial home. Don't remember if this is established down the line or not, but it would be good to get them back w/o having someone on the other side to bring them back.

what about using Promethios or other space ships for some off mission stuff?
                          sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode finding another race that was superior to them and they still think that we are to young was funny. I liked the fact that the Tollan actually had a good reason for not giving Earth new tech. Knowing that they did it before with another race and they destroyed themselves and did irreparable damage to the Tollan home world. While The Nox just said that Earth was to young. Omoc kind of annoyed me in the beginning, but he grew on me later on. I actually liked Narim the first time I saw this episode but I find him kind of creepy in the later episodes with the Tollan. When I saw Lya it brought a smile to my face and how she foiled Maybournes plans.
                            My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Don't really like this ep. Except for the ending of course.

Was either to soppy or just boring.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ah, the Tollan, another advanced species...but this one's leader has something stuck up his butt. Yeah, I get their prime directive, because of what happened to that other group of people. But they can be a little nicer, well, at least Omoc. But, despite that...a great ep.
                                sigpic
                                Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
                                Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

Working...
                                X