Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L.A., Baby '11!!! (Official SG Con, Los Angeles 2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phew... finally got my registration to work unfortunately in the process I lost the long reply I had typed out... I'll try to recap...

I went to the LA con (Burbank back then) back in 2008 and tried to got the next two years but didn't quite manage it but this year I'm back ... yay!

Anyway, a little birdy told me that some of you are aware there's a Castle Convention on in LA the week before the Creation Stargate con so I wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I run the website www.castletv.net who are hosting the event in association with the California Browncoats who are a registered charity that grew out of the Firefly fandom.

The event is Sat Nov 12th and so far guests announced include Seamus Dever (Detective Ryan) the show's creator Andrew Marlowe and producer/writer Terri Miller. We are still hoping to announce at least one other cast member and probably some other people that work behind the scenes as well.

I won't hijack the thread too much but just wanted to put this out there given the events are just a week apart and I know some of you, like me, are travelling over to LA so it might be worth the extra weekend!

All the details are on the con website at www.castleconvention.com
    I guess this will work when I have enough posts?

Comment

I'm going to LA! My first SG con. I'm excited Kind of unfortunate that the year I finally decide to start going to these conventions happens to be the "last" year for LA and Vancouver, but also glad that I caught it just in time. Whew...

Comment

Auctions are up. So far, the only one that has any real action is Ben's M&G. The rest are wide open with only 1 or 2 bids.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey Guys

I'm looking to come to the LA one but would need a roomie to be able to afford to do so.
          Is anyone looking to share?

I've shared with other forum members at the Vancouver con before...and they are alive to tell the tale! mwahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
            Auctions are up. So far, the only one that has any real action is Ben's M&G. The rest are wide open with only 1 or 2 bids.
            What I don't understand is why they put Torri, Chris and JR together and left Paul all by himself. One would think that if they were going for more than one actor at a M&G, it would make more sense to group the actors by show: Torri and Paul for SGA, Chris and JR for SG-1. Weird.

ETA: Oh wait, nevermind. Paul's there on Saturday, the others are there on Sunday. Still weird scheduling, though. I'd rather see Torri given her own M&G, as I'm not really all that interested in Chris or JR. *smirks at the flying tomatoes*
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I wish I could afford to do a M&G with Paul, he was super nice to me in Chicago and seemed especially amused by my Sheppard costume which I plan to bring to LA too. ^_^

Is anyone else planning on going in costume?

Comment

This is in definite contrast to Chicago! Kind of tempted to bid on one or two, but I think I need to check on a few things.
                sigpic

Comment

The prices for the M&G's are really low...I was surprised at how low actually (don't get me wrong, it is rather nice!) I doubt I will bid on anything though, too many other expenses coming due right around the same time. Who knows...might change my mind at the last minute.

Hoping the weather is just as lovely as it was last year!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vala-Mal-Doran View Post
                    Hey Guys

I'm looking to come to the LA one but would need a roomie to be able to afford to do so.

I've shared with other forum members at the Vancouver con before...and they are alive to tell the tale! mwahahaha
                    I might be looking for a roomie. I haven't booked a room yet. PM me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_post18 View Post
                      The prices for the M&G's are really low...I was surprised at how low actually (don't get me wrong, it is rather nice!) I doubt I will bid on anything though, too many other expenses coming due right around the same time. Who knows...might change my mind at the last minute.

Hoping the weather is just as lovely as it was last year!
                      They've been starting the MGs at lower prices lately, which is nice. I think they're grouping people because many of the single MGs don't sell. Money is tight everywhere these days. Too bad the VIP passes are still outrageous.

So far this month the weather has been warm and sunny. Let's hope it lasts!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
                        They've been starting the MGs at lower prices lately, which is nice. I think they're grouping people because many of the single MGs don't sell. Money is tight everywhere these days. Too bad the VIP passes are still outrageous.

So far this month the weather has been warm and sunny. Let's hope it lasts!
                        Also, I'm sure more M&G's become a scheduling nightmare. With three cons, there's more guests, so it makes sense to combine most of the M&G's. There's 7 in LA; in Chicago there was only 6.

I agree about the VIP's. Not worth it as it's biggest benefit is front of the line, and you only can use it for the autograph and photo-op lines for this con, not the other two. If you've got a gold ticket, you're already at the front of the line for the autographs. I was kind of hoping no-one would bid, then they would have to relist at a lower price. Might be worth it then. Not sure what they will do know as all three have only one bidding (FS has two). Not sure they will be able to get more people to pay that price, and not sure what I would want to be the one person at the backstage M&G;s.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vala-Mal-Doran View Post
                          Hey Guys

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
                          I might be looking for a roomie. I haven't booked a room yet. PM me.
                          I'm also looking for a roommate or two if anyone is interested. ^_^

Comment

Also, I'm sure more M&G's become a scheduling nightmare. With three cons, there's more guests, so it makes sense to combine most of the M&G's. There's 7 in LA; in Chicago there was only 6.

I agree about the VIP's. Not worth it as it's biggest benefit is front of the line, and you only can use it for the autograph and photo-op lines for this con, not the other two. If you've got a gold ticket, you're already at the front of the line for the autographs. I was kind of hoping no-one would bid, then they would have to relist at a lower price. Might be worth it then. Not sure what they will do know as all three have only one bidding (FS has two). Not sure they will be able to get more people to pay that price, and not sure what I would want to be the one person at the backstage M&G;s.
                            What do they typically do if they don't sell all the M&G tickets? Do they hold the M&G anyway if enough tickets were sold beforehand, or just cancel it if not enough were sold?
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              What do they typically do if they don't sell all the M&G tickets? Do they hold the M&G anyway if enough tickets were sold beforehand, or just cancel it if not enough were sold?
                              In the past, if the tickets didn't sell on ebay, then they've had them for sale at registration.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                They will hold the M&G anyway, and try selling the rest of the tickets at the door.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X