This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU ... Is it a good show or ...

I've seen mixed reviews on SGU, ranging from "Great" to "a Sci-Fi Soap Opera lacking in the action that made Stargate what it is" and even people bold enough to say that the season 2 (whether that's out yet or not idk) would make or break SGU. As a fan of the sci-fi action of Stargate, SG1 especially, how well does SGU fit into the boots of its predecessors?

This is a topic to talk about the ratings. Here, you CAN talk other shows, though, you can discuss why you think the ratings aren't good and if it really should be canned. Please be respectful, everyone has an opinion.

(mods I created this thread because I am not sure I can say what I want to say in the other ratings thread, and I don't want to be off topic!)

Anyway... I think SGU's ratings are reflecting a couple of things. According to TVbytheNUMBERS.com SGU Season One started with 1.5. It went down from there. I think that had to do with the pace of the show. The thing is, people tend to get bored and then go watch something else. Maybe DVR it. Possibly Hulu it. But those numbers don't count.

My point is, it appears SGU Season Two -- for the people who watched it -- actually liked it and see it changing to something better. My father, who didn't really like the first season too much, watch Season Two's premier and loved it. Thats the first time he really loved a SGU episode.

I think thats the problem, and I am not sure it can be fixed. My question from here is ... what if it doesn't get better? Is it possible to get a third season? I really, really want to see more SGU stories but I am afraid we might loose this show because the creators wanted to do something different and didn't start with a bang....but a whimper. It was a bad choice, I agree, but what will happen next is really the discussion here.

Comment

Again, maybe SGU strayed too far from its stargate roots.

Comment

You're welcome to try another tact, but as soon as this thread descends into 'let me lecture you on ratings' 'let me compare sgu to sga' 'let me mock those that are making excuses either way' it'll just turn into the existing ratings thread.

I apprecaiate what you're trying to do, I'm just not seeing how this thread will remain different enough from the existing one to continue to stand on its own two feet
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The show went down after "Life" and never recovered. I have made it known how much I disliked that ep. Only because it did something totally un-Stargate like. I even said if this is the direction of the show, I am done with Stargate unless the movies came out.

I think the reason the numbers are down is because SGU is different. Atlantis as some people may think, was not dying in the end and actually almost had numbers similar to it's 2nd season.

Looking at W13 for another example pulled in nearly 2.5 Million viewers going up against the same competition and airing in the same timeslot and day managed better numbers than SGU. Why? W13 is a more casual viewer show and it seems it is appealing to more people, and finds a broader audience.

I think the show needs to go back to it's roots more to survive.
          sigpic

Comment

WH13 did NOT have the same competition.

It had re-runs. SGU is competing against first run shows. The Good Wife, Detroit 187...and whatever nbc is airing.

There is a big difference between re-run and first run

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              WH13 did NOT have the same competition.

It had re-runs. SGU is competing against first run shows. The Good Wife, Detroit 187...and whatever nbc is airing.

There is a big difference between re-run and first run
              W13 ran last week during premiere week for the major networks and the show actually went up to nearly 2.5 Million viewers. Which was actually higher than it's 1st season finale.

So the competition was the same last week for W13 than it was for SGU this week.

Edit: Actually it was the 2nd week for SGU so the competition was actually a tad less.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm an old time SG1 viewer and I did try to watch SGU, but I didn't care for it. I get that they wanted the show to be very different from the other SG shows, but in doing that they did risk not keeping the other SG fans. This could be one of the problems with the ratings, those who watched other SG shows didn't like the new 'feel' of SGU (for lack of better words). Even if they do make changes to the show it may be too late to get back the viewers that they have lost. I am not saying SGU is a bad show, its just not one I care for.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I don't think it's possible to definitivly declare sgu as 'good' or 'bad' because both of those are relative terms. They mean different things to different people.

I know some that declare Amerian Pie to be a 'good' movie, others declare titanic to be 'good', others Iron Man 2, etc...it's all relative

My sister has declared that Chicken Piccata is a 'good' dinner...but i HATE the combo of capers and lemon juice thus I declare Chicken Piccata to be bleh and the last thing I'd want to eat.

'good' is relative. and so is 'bad'

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it's possible to definitivly declare sgu as 'good' or 'bad' because both of those are relative terms. They mean different things to different people.

I know some that declare Amerian Pie to be a 'good' movie, others declare titanic to be 'good', others Iron Man 2, etc...it's all relative

My sister has declared that Chicken Piccata is a 'good' dinner...but i HATE the combo of capers and lemon juice thus I declare Chicken Piccata to be bleh and the last thing I'd want to eat.

'good' is relative. and so is 'bad'
                    The key to a successful show is the amount of people that think it's good. The more people the better for the show. The more postive word of mouth and buzz will only help the show.

Take Glee for an example, it has gotten a lot of postive buzz, more than negative, which is likely true since the ratings keep going up and are steady. Doesn't mean the show is good or bad, that of course is subjective.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                      I've seen mixed reviews on SGU, ranging from "Great" to "a Sci-Fi Soap Opera lacking in the action that made Stargate what it is" and even people bold enough to say that the season 2 (whether that's out yet or not idk) would make or break SGU. As a fan of the sci-fi action of Stargate, SG1 especially, how well does SGU fit into the boots of its predecessors?
                      To me SGU is not even close to SG1 and SGA. I mean I like SGU but I don't love it like its predecessors. There is way too much drama in SGU and not enough action and adventure. In season 2 is suppose to be more action and adventure in the vein of SG1/SGA, but I don't know if its enough to be up there with the two previous shows. After the season 2 premier rating they need to get to it fast.

Comment

Thus, and this is a very blatant 'hint' about this topic, no one can declare or argue for the show being 'good' or 'bad'...all they can do is say ' i think it's.......and here's why'

Which means there's no need for anyone to feel like they have to argue for either side or 'prove someone else wrong', because it's just one person's opinion, not empirical fact.

So don't go arguing about this, just state your opinion and don't fuss over someone not agreeing with you

sigpic

Comment

I think they are very different shows, but who knows, I like all kinds of things, maybe you will too. Loved SG1, loved SGA, love SGU.

But then, I love Project Runway, too. I contain multitudes.
                          sigpic
                          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

You're welcome to try another tact, but as soon as this thread descends into 'let me lecture you on ratings' 'let me compare sgu to sga' 'let me mock those that are making excuses either way' it'll just turn into the existing ratings thread.

I apprecaiate what you're trying to do, I'm just not seeing how this thread will remain different enough from the existing one to continue to stand on its own two feet
                            I didn't create this thread for that reason. I wanted to express my reasons for the shows ratings and the other topic was more about just guessing and ... well, what else? Anytime someone mentioned opinions it seemed like that person was told to go back to topic...maybe i got the wrong impression.

But to be clear....this topic is for people to discuss the ratings, to tell their opinions on why they are bad and hopefully fix the issue. Also I asked if this continues, what does this mean for stargate and SGU?

And finally ...how did Griff's post get above mine when I started this thread ... ? lol really...I never seen that before.

Comment

Briangate,

Then instead of taking risks and attempting to show human drama perhaps there should be a mix reality show/stargate with lots of pratfalls and fart jokes. That'll bring them in in droves.

You may not like it. The rating may not bear out the series quality but I, and many others, are enjoying this character driven format instead of the standard "village of the week" occasional space battle reset button at the end of the episode format of the prior incarnations of Stargate.
                              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X