This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SGU suitable for children?

Some interesting points of view regarding this subject in the ratings thread (which has gone a lot off-topic), perhaps a mod can merge them into this thread.

Seems like a discussion that has legs.

For the most part, yes. But there are some scenes what I would mind my little brother seeing. Just like with previous SG shows.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
      Some interesting points of view regarding this subject in the ratings thread (which has gone a lot off-topic), perhaps a mod can merge them into this thread.

Seems like a discussion that has legs.
      SGU is like Spongbob Square Pants. Both contain unusual characters.
      sigpic

Comment

Children is a broad and subjective word in terms of age and maturity.

Other than the sex scenes it really hasn't been too bad in terms of language, violence and such. The sex scenes on at least 2 accounts have been to the level of PG-13 in my book.
        sigpic

Comment

Does one stop being a child? My sister and me will always be my parent's children regardless of our age.

Okay seriously I am going to say no. I'm going to say by children you mean the age group before teenager. To me that is 12 or younger and that age is okay for SGU but go much younger and its inapprioate.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

If it's suitable for children doesn't matter. If it's suitable for YOUR children, that's something worth thinking about. YOUR responsibility as the parent. Decide if they're the right age. Think over if they've lost enough innocence to be exposed to this and it won't affect them radically.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I don't let my children watch with me. I love the show they are just too young to watch 7 & 3.
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Seriously, this question is randomly broad because the show is clearly not suited for all adults either. Just because your of a certain age doesn't mean any show or movie is automatically going to be accessible by you. Children is no different, it's on a per child basis. That's why parents and guardians tend to make decisions based on their individual childs needs, not on broad strokes (there are exceptions of course). I wouldn't let my 10 y/o cousin watch, but I have let my 6y/o nephew. They are 2 different people who understand and interact with the world differently.

What I find is that we as a society tend to sell our children short - or up the river with pointless, bright and insignficant childrens shows that I think can be far more questionable then SGU. They aren't dumb, and I refuse to treat any child that way.

My nephew has asked some pretty amazing questions from events that have occured on SGU. We have discussed them, and he knows when they are acting inappropriately and he will and does comment on it - loudly. He also knows that it's a television show. He's also 6 and doesn't have a frame of reference for a lot of things, so he interprets them in ways he understands. Most of it being super innocent too, like he thinks that the Destiny is the best place to visit because of all the toys Eli plays with...
                Last edited by Deevil; 02 July 2010, 07:12 AM.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                  If it's suitable for children doesn't matter. If it's suitable for YOUR children, that's something worth thinking about. YOUR responsibility as the parent. Decide if they're the right age. Think over if they've lost enough innocence to be exposed to this and it won't affect them radically.
                  Bingo.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                    Bingo.
                    Was his Name-O
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                      Bingo.
                      I was bound to say something smart eventually.
                      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                        I was bound to say something smart eventually.
                        Sex Panther strikes again!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          SGU is like Spongbob Square Pants. Both contain unusual characters.
                          and sex scenes...hot spongy sex scenes...without pants

Comment

Think for younger Children its a big no, but at the end of the day its down to the parents

Comment

The sex scenes (All 2 of them, everything else doesn't meet the definition of a sex scene in my opinion) arnt really graphic and I would agree that a PG-13 rating would be appropriate for them. The violence on the other hand is a little more gory such as in "Water" where the guy is shredded by the sand creature, aliens in "Time" and even how graphic Kiva shooting that military member in the Gateroom was.

Comment

Working...
                              X