This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
    Well maybe you have an HD ready television. I can tell you that SD television on an proper HD television looks like crap. There is some jitter. And if you seriously think it looks great, then check out TRUE HD like a blu ray. Then the differences will be glaringly obvious. There's no way, No no no no way, that the 640x360 SD is going to be good without jitter on a true 1080p HD television. If it does then either you don't have true HD or you have an HD ready television that requires a special box to make it HD.
    I can tell the difference between an SD and HD source on an HDTV, however, I know of many people that refuse to pay for the HD from their cable company and there is no noticeable jitter - at least from a cable box source displayed in 4:3. I think that Shadow_7 is talking about is taking an SD source and stretching it to fill the 16:9 screen. At that point, the quality of it is dependent upon the hardware doing the conversion than anything else and that is inside the TV if the cable box is sending an SD signal.

Obviously an HD source is going to look better than an SD source, but whether or not it jitters is dependent on many factors. For instance, a standard DVD from a high quality DVD player that upconverts can look pretty good on an HDTV.

My pet peeve is when a HD station upconverts an SD signal and it warps or does "walleye-vision" on the outer edges during pan shots. That makes me dizzy.
    The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

The majority of Foxtel channels in Australia (Our cable company) look crap on my big HD telly. Especially the sport, which becomes very noticeable when 2 games are on at the same time, one on HD free to air and the other on Foxtel. You channel surf and can barely watch the Foxtel game, such is the drop in quality.

But for the low low price of $15 extra per channel, you can join the Foxtel HD revolution and get a few of their HD channels. Pigs backside I will!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        But for the low low price of $15 extra per channel, you can join the Foxtel HD revolution and get a few of their HD channels. Pigs backside I will!!
        Holy cow, and to think, I thought Comcast were thieves!
        Last edited by Selene1212; 22 July 2010, 09:38 PM. Reason: stupid emotes

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
          Well, it isn't $15 per HD channel it's $15 extra per month to get ALL the HD channels...

Unless of course you are buying it on a per channel basis instead of part a plan.
          Last edited by Deevil; 22 July 2010, 10:18 PM.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            The majority of Foxtel channels in Australia (Our cable company) look crap on my big HD telly. Especially the sport, which becomes very noticeable when 2 games are on at the same time, one on HD free to air and the other on Foxtel. You channel surf and can barely watch the Foxtel game, such is the drop in quality.

Same with Austar for the most part. There are some HD broadcast channels but the majority of them are not true HD. We went through and looked at them, most were 720, which would play marginally better on our 1080p HD television than the SD channels, but there's still some jitter. There was only one proper 1080p channel. I've noticed lots of channels try to claim it's High Definition when it's really not full HD.

Big W and some other stores sell televisions that claim to be HD, but some of them are only 720. Which isn't full 1080p HD.

It's definitely obvious while watching the Sports channels. We turned on the footy and wow, it's bad. It was then we went through all of the broadcast channels to determine what the resolution was and were disappointed to discover that most of them weren't really HD at 1080p. If you turn on the fine motion, it can help the jitter a little.

There's of course one drawback to having a full HD television. Remember the good ol' days of Star Trek where they'd shake the camera to pretend the ship was under attack? It's very obvious in HD. Some of the early SG1 episodes special effects look like a bad photoshop job. The SFX advancement from SG1 to SGA, the movies, and SGU is nothing short of amazing.

With Austar, we have to pay $150 for the HD box, then pay a steeper monthly fee to get the channels and to keep the box.
            sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Erm, I have a full HD set-up, and seriously unless the shows are like early Stargate or early Xena (which was filmed on 16mm) or stuff like that I get no jitter that you guys are talking about. Well at least not on my new set-up, my old one I did.

So perhaps it depends, as usual, on the hardware you are using.
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                Erm, I have a full HD set-up, and seriously unless the shows are like early Stargate or early Xena (which was filmed on 16mm) or stuff like that I get no jitter that you guys are talking about. Well at least not on my new set-up, my old one I did.

So perhaps it depends, as usual, on the hardware you are using.
                Like I said above, I don't notice jitter when using an SD IQ on a full HD television.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                  Well maybe you have an HD ready television. I can tell you that SD television on an proper HD television looks like crap. There is some jitter. And if you seriously think it looks great, then check out TRUE HD like a blu ray. Then the differences will be glaringly obvious. There's no way, No no no no way, that the 640x360 SD is going to be good without jitter on a true 1080p HD television. If it does then either you don't have true HD or you have an HD ready television that requires a special box to make it HD.
                  I have am LG with very high frame-rate capabilities and very high black levels that I was at one point using for computer gaming. I do not see the skips you speak of, even on SD programming.

It really is a reflection on the quality of the TV or of your cable provider.

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
                    No they are thieves. Thats the worst service I've ever seen in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                      No they are thieves. Thats the worst service I've ever seen in my life.
                      They are always changing their prices....And as for the topic of this thread. I'd say that most of stargate is not suitable for children, that is kids under 12 years of age.

Comment

Working...
                      X