Rush's attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
    There's ethics and then there's what you might actually do. Sometimes not the same thing.
    This is true. But I personally would be disgusted with myself if I was responsible for the potential death of 88 people for my selfish desires
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Radz View Post
      Take this whole swine flu crap going on for example. It's not that big a deal, but the media is having a field day with it. They've spread fear and panic among the populace. The swine flu is LESS common that the normal flu and has an equal or LOWER mortality rate. We should have just left it a "need to know" issue and been done with it, but instead they went the "we can't lie to them" approach and caused unnecessary fear.
      Not telling things (silence) and telling false things (lying) are not the same thing, however.

Also, in the case with the swine flu, they left out and distorted it by leaving out what you just mentioned, that it isn't as common and isn't necessarily more deadly, and may be even less so. So in that case, it was telling a distorted picture of the truth that actually created panic.

Originally posted by Radz View Post
      I think that "need to know" is a good policy...because we don't always need to know. We don't need to know that other countries have nuclear weapons aimed at our front doorstep. We don't need to know that terrorists live in our backyard. We don't need to know what the government does behind our backs to save our lives.
      I'd take issue with the very last item you mention. What if they're doing something really awful? Is it morally good to do really sick things to "save lives"? If not, then I think that should be known and we have not only a need but a right to know, in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        young and scott dind't need to know about the dust aliens as it wasn't a big threat.
        OK, so I was right on what was being referred to, then.

and yes lying is ok in the right situations
        What would "justify" deliberately telling someone falsehoods, anyway? And I also may have missed some parts in the episode... what exactly _were_ the "lies" that were told, anyway? Would you think it really "childish" to refuse to deliberately lie, as opposed to merely not saying anything, in any situation?

Comment

To be fair to Eli (and that pains me a trifle), Rush shouldn't have mentioned anything in the first place. He gave Eli the opening to have his ZOMG! moment.

Comment

if the crew had told young and scott the situation was bad and we need yu to come back wouldn't have made a damn difference. the aliens were delt with and they were able to get some water which there need to suveine
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
            X