Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KRiZ View Post
    Simple explanations 101:

1. They carried crates through with them, most likely carrying all the rations etc they'd need for a while (would expect these to run out at some point)

2. The destiny before they arrived had no life support running, no need to as there were no passengers, you even see it all lighting up in the opening sequence of "Air". No life support = no air, no air (ie. CO2 or O2) no mould, or bacteria growth, also no heat to support any of this either (internal temp of destiny with no life support would equal that of the space around it).

3. The absence of heat and air would explain why the sheets etc wouldn't be mouldy or rotten, they would be perfectly preserved in the near absolute zero temperatures of space.

4. Lack of things like birth control aboard, would actually be a good issue for the show to do deal with along the line. Because the bringing of new life into the situation could severely upset the food rationing etc.
    Crates with blankets and bedsheets? Nah, don't buy that. After all, up until the last moment, they were thought they were heading to Earth. "Oh my god, I must remember to take my 500-count Eygptian cotton sheets back with me." Nah...

Lack of air might work for the non-dryrot sheets.

I doubt the writers will tackle birth control. Just my guess.
    Last edited by prion; 28 October 2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
      Where did the silk sheets and big blankets come from?
      Scott has a pile of them on his bed during the shaggin scene.
      every good soap has silk sheets, essential for the ever-present bedroom scenes.

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
      The Ancients make their bedding to last.
      it was to be an UNMANNED ship.... I really don't see them sending the bedding on ahead...

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
      If it's true that the Ancients never actually boarded Destiny after it was launched, then there was very little airflow or movement to stir up dust particles. In a sealed environment like a starship, any dust mites, weavles, or any sort of nibbling creature actually surviving the interveaning millions of years or so is highly unlikely.

All in all, Destiny was most likely as good as freeze-dried during it's trip through deep, deep, deep space.
      then why were the scrubbers rotted? there was no co2 for them to "scrub"....

Originally posted by Jper View Post
      Well I thought it should at least contain some "essential protection" if you know what I mean.
      LOL I am betting that scott has gotten a "snippity-do-dah"- as Jack would call it....

Originally posted by Less View Post
      You know, if they can devote minutes of screen time to the Senator's wife and Young's wife and other emo stuff, I think they can devote some time to the REALLY interesting questions. The things that you wonder about just as you're dropping off to sleep:

What are Ancient washing machines like?
      Material to patch uniforms?
      Tampons, Razors, Deodorant?
      Blow Dryers, Hairspray?
      Mascara, lotion?
      Ovens? Loaf pans for bread? Yeast for bread or beer?

You know, with Atlantis, they were marooned but had these other civilizations that would trade supplies. These guys are stuck with nothing. Sure, it's only a few days so far, but this is a B story I'd like to see. Including some sort of comparison between their predicament and that of Atlantis.

Will they explore Destiny and find all of these supplies and so become "dressed like Ancients"? That could be cool. And of course I don't expect the women to go without makeup. This is SciFi TV after all - the women have to be pretty, it's a law.
      well gotta have the "relationship" drama first you know...

ok the bolded line has me thinking ..the Martian chronicles.....

but anyyyywaaaay it's not a hotel in space... more like the Love Boat....

Comment

Originally posted by thedrumm3rguy View Post
        well, at the rate scotts popping' the girls off; an ancient Durex dispenser wont hurt

'wormhole ribbed for her pleasure'
        Hahaha i didn't get that at first but that's legendary.

..and yeah i thought it was a bit odd, but there are things in stargate that just don't make sense that as fans we learn to laugh about and accept imo

Like when they are in another reality or something, and they can walk through walls but they don't fall through the floor ;D
        sigpic

Comment

Since the pillows are obviously not from Icarus (unless Chloe takes her own pillow everywhere) then there's no need for the sheets and such to be from Icarus either.
          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by GuHNDoi View Post
            Cage matches against Master-Blaster, two men enter, one man leave.
            ah, nothing better than a midget riding a mentally challenged man to get ratings.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dain View Post
              Perhaps I remember that wrong, but those blankets seemed to be really fancy as if the people were sleeping in a hotel. Same for the lobby-like seeting arrangements in the observation deck.
              Definitely no military expedition-material. I could be wrong, of course. The Pentagon could find worse ways to spend its massive budget.
              Yeah, but they might be the blankets for the guest quarters. The blankets Chloe and her father would have had. Or the other non-military members who are pretty high up in the chain of command. Eli's blankets look very much more like standard military reserve blankets.

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
              They were escaping and I don't think they had time to grab any blankets and pillows with them.
              Sure they had. Everyone was told to pack. Maybe they did not have much time, but they had some.

Besides the fancy blankets and pillows looked really more like Teyla's belongings than military.
              Yeah, but they might not belong to the military or they might but therefore they shouldn't be survival blankets. There are other sorts as well, I would guess.

I also wonder what is this powder they are making this liquid food of?
              Protein powder?

And how much did they take it with them while escaping?
              We don't know exactly but quite a lot I guess. We see them sorting everything in "Air".

Or how come there was (warm) water for Chloe to take a shower while the ship itself was so powerless, that even lights went down and all the other equipment seemed to stop working?
              As Eli said, the showers don't use water.

I really hope to see some cool explanation or solution for all these mysterious things.
              We already got quite a lot if info on the little things you mentioned. It's all in the details.

Maybe it's not a ship at all, maybe it is some kind of a testing ground or something?
              It's a spaceship, no question about that.

Originally posted by KRiZ View Post
              Simple explanations 101:

1. They carried crates through with them, most likely carrying all the rations etc they'd need for a while (would expect these to run out at some point).
              Indeed they did. And we even saw them unpacking those crates in "Air".

2. The destiny before they arrived had no life support running, no need to as there were no passengers, you even see it all lighting up in the opening sequence of "Air". No life support = no air, no air (ie. CO2 or O2) no mould, or bacteria growth, also no heat to support any of this either (internal temp of destiny with no life support would equal that of the space around it).
              Actually there were bacteria. They produced CO2. And the Destiny did use the scrubbers to filter the air as to get rid of the CO2. That's why the CO2 scrubbers weren't just unused after these million years. That's why they were in need of replacement of the CO2 capturing substance. There is actually a whole thread about the CO2 scrubbers:
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69967

3. The absence of heat and air would explain why the sheets etc wouldn't be mouldy or rotten, they would be perfectly preserved in the near absolute zero temperatures of space.
              Unlikely as the life support was running the whole time. I would never have been able to just switch on as someone arrived, it would need to be significantly turned when someone arrived, but still the rooms would have needed to be pressurized, filled with atmosphere. And it could not be too cold in there.

4. Lack of things like birth control aboard, would actually be a good issue for the show to do deal with along the line. Because the bringing of new life into the situation could severely upset the food rationing etc.
              Well, we still have the whole Alaina Huffman being pregnant and TJ-Young things.
              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I wonder if the blankets have magical Ancient properties...or maybe the blankets could be aliens?!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  I wonder if the blankets have magical Ancient properties...or maybe the blankets could be aliens?!
                  They were spun from the fibre of epileptic trees.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Maybe they peed the blankets to life

YES

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Wait for it......

Spoiler:
                      The blankets are made of the precursors to replicators.

Thank you and goodnight

Comment

who said it was silk, it may have been some cool super thin and soft metal...or hologprahic sheets?

Comment

Working...
                        X