This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming Discussions for Teyla, Elizabeth & John

As many of you know the Community Vision Statement has been finalized and we are gradually implementing its standards across the Forum. In the Characters & Relationships Folder this is a daunting task. Each fandom or Anti-fandom for each character or pairing has its own unique qualities and we take that into account as we review each thread. When holding each thread up to the standard of the CVS (community vision statement) we are trying to determine if that thread or threads has met at the very least the minimum we would require, such as; is there respect, is there actual discussion. Secondly we are looking to answer the question, do these threads have the potential to develop above just the minimum. Can these threads sustain thoughtful discussion, a community feel, respect for any level of constructive critique?

If you post in these threads:
    Anti Teyla/Shep Ship
    Anti Sheppard/Weir Ship

and other Anti Ship for Weir, Sheppard or Teyla thread

Then you have come to the right discussion

It has already been determined that each character of Stargate: Atlantis will be getting their own *Be Single or not with her/him* thread rather then the numerous "Anti So and so with so and so threads*

So with that in mind, the fact that each character will have a single thread, the only discussion we are having here is to name each of the new threads.

We would like to have the thread be defining of the character as we did with other major characters of SGA. Folks made suggestions and then voted on the one that worked best for them.

The only requirement for the name is we will be using the full name of the character.

John Sheppard-new thread title here
    Teyla Emmagan-new thread title here
    Elizabeth Weir-new thread title here

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any suggestions? We need your input on the names

Please bear in mind we are not here to debate or discuss the merits of the CVS, it is in place and is here to stay so we will not respond to any lengthy debate on that issue. It will however be our pleasure to read your opinions and thoughts regarding your threads and how we can best serve the CVS as well continue to enhance your enjoyment of GateWorld Forum while meeting the needs of each aspect of fandom.

I would like to also take a moment to point out that this discussion is ONLY for folks that actually post in the above mentioned threads. If we are unable to locate a few of your posts in the above threads we will not consider your post as part of the final outcome nor will we engage with you in debate.

Please note: the discussion will run from today Tuesday May 19,2009 until Saturday May 23,2009.
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Is this going to be linked to in the threads its discussing? Or would you like me to?

On the matter of only posting in here if you've posted in those anti-threads, I have posted in the anti-Shep/Weir despite not being anti that couple so I know my post won't be deleted. However (yes, I am getting to a point ) What about people who are anti-Shep/Larrin or Teyla/Kanaan that there are no posts to prove they are anti-that couple, because those pairings would be included in these new threads would they not? But there isn't a specific anti-thread for them at the moment (as far as I know )

Anyway, title suggestion (just to post something productive);

Elizabeth Weir - Leader of Atlantis, not girlfriend to someone under her command
    (ok that sucks, but its a start )
    What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Hi, I post in the anti Shep/Weir thread.

Well personally I don't think there should just be a keep her/him single thread as there is alot of us that ship them with others. i.e. People don't ship Shep/Teyla but ship Shep/Weir and vice versa so maybe a name something along the lines of getting people to discuss why you don't think the ship works

Just my thoughts

Oh and p.s. You don't want me to come up with names You really don't, trust me
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
        Is this going to be linked to in the threads its discussing? Or would you like me to?
        Nevermind, its just been done

Comment

Am I right in saying that there will be 3 new threads.. each advocating that the person in the title should remain single..

If this is so will there be pro and anti discussion allowed in that thread.. ie whether you agree with keeping him/her single or pairing them with someone..

And if there is pro and anti discussion allowed in each thread will they not all be really discussing the same thing in the end... 3 threads really overlapping with the same issues.
          sigpic

Comment

On the matter of only posting in here if you've posted in those anti-threads, I have posted in the anti-Shep/Weir despite not being anti that couple so I know my post won't be deleted. However (yes, I am getting to a point ) What about people who are anti-Shep/Larrin or Teyla/Kanaan that there are no posts to prove they are anti-that couple, because those pairings would be included in these new threads would they not? But there isn't a specific anti-thread for them at the moment (as far as I know )

Anyway, title suggestion (just to post something productive);

Elizabeth Weir - Leader of Atlantis, not girlfriend to someone under her command
            (ok that sucks, but its a start )
            I am in the process of linking the thread to the active discussion threads But this one had to be made first in order for me to have something to link them to

In regards to the folks that have a dislike of a select character paired with a more obscure character. Well since this really isn't an already active discussion then we don't really expect folks to be clamoring at the door to now want to post reams of posts over the subject BUT the fact that they do have this opinion will be taken into consideration and if they want to offer a suggested title we will review it.

The top selections will be the only ones put up for a vote.
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
              In regards to the folks that have a dislike of a select character paired with a more obscure character. Well since this really isn't an already active discussion then we don't really expect folks to be clamoring at the door to now want to post reams of posts over the subject BUT the fact that they do have this opinion will be taken into consideration and if they want to offer a suggested title we will review it.
              There was a thread in the season 5 folder (or maybe just the Atlantis one ) that delved into Teyla/Kanaan quite extinsively. I've also discussed that subject recently in both the JT thread and the Shep Whump thread, so people do post about it, there just wasn't a specific thread for it and people didn't start one. There will now be a specific thread for it so that might get people migrating towards it

I know that point is moot as you said you would take it into consideration, but I just thought I'd explain
              Last edited by CazzBlade; 19 May 2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                Hi, I post in the anti Shep/Weir thread.

Well personally I don't think there should just be a keep her/him single thread as there is alot of us that ship them with others. i.e. People don't ship Shep/Teyla but ship Shep/Weir and vice versa so maybe a name something along the lines of getting people to discuss why you don't think the ship works

Just my thoughts

Oh and p.s. You don't want me to come up with names You really don't, trust me
                Well the best I can advise any person who prefers a character with another character is to then celebrate the *Ship* you like and post in that thread that celebrates that rather then spend the time posting about how they can't stomach the idea of any other pairing.

However, The *Keep them single* threads will be there for folks who wish to expound on the character who is the Topic of the thread and state whatever opinions they have regarding if that character should be basically single OR not with a specific person. But it does no longer cater to a specific *pairing bashing*

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                Am I right in saying that there will be 3 new threads.. each advocating that the person in the title should remain single..

If this is so will there be pro and anti discussion allowed in that thread.. ie whether you agree with keeping him/her single or pairing them with someone..

And if there is pro and anti discussion allowed in each thread will they not all be really discussing the same thing in the end... 3 threads really overlapping with the same issues.
                I am not sure where you are getting that there will be *Pro* discussions going on in these threads.

These will be for the folks who wish to expound on the character who is the Topic of the thread and state whatever opinions they have regarding if that character should be basically single OR not with a specific person. But it does no longer cater to a specific *pairing bashing*

Comment

There was a thread in the season 5 folder (or maybe just the Atlantis one ) that delved into Teyla/Kanaan quite extinsively. I've also discussed that subject recently in both the JT thread and the Shep Whump thread, so people do post about it, there just wasn't a specific thread for it and people didn't start one. There will now be a specific thread for it so that might get people migrating towards it

I know that point is moot as you said you would take it into consideration, but I just thought I explain
                  No problem..I did list ANY other Anti Ship thread for all of these characters as welcome in this discussion in the first post...it will just be a bit harder for us to locate their opinion...BUT we will if the person prefers to disrupt this discussion than contribute to it

Comment

Well the best I can advise any person who prefers a character with another character is to then celebrate the *Ship* you like and post in that thread that celebrates that rather then spend the time posting about how they can't stomach the idea of any other pairing.

However, The *Keep them single* threads will be there for folks who wish to expound on the character who is the Topic of the thread and state whatever opinions they have regarding if that character should be basically single OR not with a specific person. But it does no longer cater to a specific *pairing bashing*
                    Oh I already do post in the relevent thread of my ship of choice

So this new thread we're gonna have is for us to discuss a certain pairing we don't like rather than a thread about keeping them single, so if people who are talking about a pairing that we do like we can just move past those posts if we want?

I think i've only bashed one pairing in GW and the pairing here wasn't the one

Ok I really should stop talking, i'm totally horrible at trying to explain myself properly, it never makes any sense
                    sigpic

Comment

I think I may have posted in one of these threads, but I'm not sure, so feel free to disregard this opinion!
                      It doesn't seem to me that there are many people who are interested in these topics that actually want to keep John Sheppard single (except, perhaps, John himself). After all, he is shipped or slashed with everyone from Sam Carter to Todd...
                      So the discussions on why a particular ship doesn't work in a viewers eyes don't preclude a relationship with anyone else.
                      Would a Keep Shep Single thread be the place where post #1 would be a statement of why Shep/Liz don't work, post #2 would be one about why Shep/Teyla don't have chemistry, and post #3 a response to #1, ignoring #2 as that is the preferred ship of the poster?
                      This is just an administrative question on the nature of the thread as it seems to confuse my brain cells.

Comment

I am not sure where you are getting that there will be *Pro* discussions going on in these threads.

These will be for the folks who wish to expound on the character who is the Topic of the thread and state whatever opinions they have regarding if that character should be basically single OR not with a specific person. But it does no longer cater to a specific *pairing bashing*
                        So you can discuss them being single or expand on that by discussing why they shouldnt be with a particular character.
                        sigpic

Comment

One thing folks seem to be concerned with is..........But I like Elizabeth...just not with John...Or I like Teyla just not with John....why do I have to post along side folks who may say bad things about Teyla/Elizabeth

Well here is our answer....Each Character has a separate thread. If your enjoyment of a specific character will be affected by the fact that another does not particularly care for then you might have issues no matter what we do. We can't keep every negative opinion about all the characters away from you.

However, The only over-lapping character in this is John Sheppard. If you do not like John with Teyla but you are unable to scroll past a post that is voicing an opinion regarding how another does not like Elizabeth with John OR vice versa. Then the only suggestion we have is do not post in the John thread. Instead spend your time celebrating the *Ship* you enjoy and leave the *keep him/her single* threads to others.

You have at your disposal an ignore feature or the ability to scroll past any post. No one is forced to read OR reply to any post on this Forum. However, We do expect ANY member posting to be respectful, civil and decent in all their posts so this would apply here as well. So even if there is a post stating that a member does not like that character with the person you prefer, it still should not be disrespectful to that character nor disparaging in its nature. Hopefully any post will be constructive and while you may disagree with the opinion you can and are able to post your own with no issues.

The CVS is not here to stop any and all negative content. However, we do want folks to find ways to discuss opposing viewpoints as well as move on to celebrating the things they do enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
                            I think I may have posted in one of these threads, but I'm not sure, so feel free to disregard this opinion!
                            It doesn't seem to me that there are many people who are interested in these topics that actually want to keep John Sheppard single (except, perhaps, John himself). After all, he is shipped or slashed with everyone from Sam Carter to Todd...
                            So the discussions on why a particular ship doesn't work in a viewers eyes don't preclude a relationship with anyone else.
                            Would a Keep Shep Single thread be the place where post #1 would be a statement of why Shep/Liz don't work, post #2 would be one about why Shep/Teyla don't have chemistry, and post #3 a response to #1, ignoring #2 as that is the preferred ship of the poster?
                            This is just an administrative question on the nature of the thread as it seems to confuse my brain cells.
                            mmm I think I understand what you are asking
                            Yes, there could feasibly be posts of this nature in one thread

i.e. examples.............

John Sheppard Flyboys have More Fun (just a title suggestion )

Post 1
                            I don't see John being attached to anyone. He is still too much of a *boy* and while he can step into mature mode for missions..I just don't see him doing so yet in a relationship

Post 2
                            John treats Teyla like a sister in my opinion and they seem to really have that sort of bond. The gentle ribbing and teasing as well as a natural affinity to fighting just says that they have a great brother/sister bond. enough in common to have a conversation and yet snarky enough to be siblings at war

Post 3
                            John just doesn't seem the type to *date the Boss* he has too much rebel in him and he would get bored or angry trying to always follow the rules Elizabeth would impose on him..But I do think he respects the fact that he can always count on her to step up and beat anyone over the head with that book of rules if they try to mess with her people

So any member could respond OR ignore any one of those posts and post their own opinion as well

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                            So you can discuss them being single or expand on that by discussing why they shouldnt be with a particular character.
                            pretty much

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                              Oh I already do post in the relevent thread of my ship of choice

So this new thread we're gonna have is for us to discuss a certain pairing we don't like rather than a thread about keeping them single, so if people who are talking about a pairing that we do like we can just move past those posts if we want?

I think i've only bashed one pairing in GW and the pairing here wasn't the one

Ok I really should stop talking, i'm totally horrible at trying to explain myself properly, it never makes any sense
                              The new thread is for BOTH...folks who would rather the character be single AND those who would like to state that they don't like the character with a specific character

Comment

Working...
                              X