This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Shoot 'em

There were so many times in Atlantis when I wish that Sheppard had taken Ronan's side and just went on a killing spree. Especially in the episode Irresponsible I wish that Sheppard just shot Lucius. There was almost never enough foot action in Atlantis. When I say foot, I mean with the P90s and stuff. Does this irritate anybody else?

Nearly every ep was a shooting spree, with Wraith as cannon fodder. It really got old after a while. I think that's why eps like Common Ground - that didn't have the predictable 'shoot 'em up' ending - were such favorites.

das
    sigpic

Comment

Actually... no, that never irritated me. There were times when I wished that they would come up with diplomatic solutions or when I wished that they would come up with more interesting solutions. But generally, there was enough "shoot 'em up" action for me.

To me, it seemed like shooting things (or blowing them up) was their defeat solution for dealing with any problem.

spoilers for season 5's Identity
      Spoiler:
      what really got to me was when they solved the problem in Identity simply by shooting the Ancient communication device. In SG-1, when they had the same device, they didn't think that physically destroying the device would necessarily turn it off, but in Atlantis it's all "well, let's just shoot it." That was definitely an episode where I wished they had come up with something more creative.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
        Actually... no, that never irritated me. There were times when I wished that they would come up with diplomatic solutions or when I wished that they would come up with more interesting solutions. But generally, there was enough "shoot 'em up" action for me.

To me, it seemed like shooting things (or blowing them up) was their defeat solution for dealing with any problem.

spoilers for season 5's Identity
        Spoiler:
        what really got to me was when they solved the problem in Identity simply by shooting the Ancient communication device. In SG-1, when they had the same device, they didn't think that physically destroying the device would necessarily turn it off, but in Atlantis it's all "well, let's just shoot it." That was definitely an episode where I wished they had come up with something more creative.
        Regarding the spoiler-tagged text
        Spoiler:
        I think that the sole reason why gunfire was used to sever the connection between Keller and the rogue was that Ronon simply acted on his own...without approval from the others so to speak

Comment

I think Sci-Fi could do with even less P90 action.
          Machine guns sound too violent in my ears and if they absolutely -have- to kill everything that'sin their way, then they should do it with weapons in Star Trek style. Not that much noise

I'd be happier with less killing, though.
          += +lots of children
          Ronon Dex/Jennifer Keller supporter!

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
            Nearly every ep was a shooting spree, with Wraith as cannon fodder. It really got old after a while. I think that's why eps like Common Ground - that didn't have the predictable 'shoot 'em up' ending - were such favorites.

das
            Have to agree with you here. I got really fed up with the idea that heroism is all about running around with guns and causing big explosions.

Having said that, I would have cheered if Sheppard had shot Lucius instead of Kolya.
            sigpic

Comment

I've always been a fan of the shooting, but imho there must be a balance between shooting stuff to pieces and coming up with more creative solutions. Action is great but it can never be a substitute for good story telling.

In SG-1, I think they had this balance. I think Atlantis fell a little short and all too often it was a matter of shooting their way out of it.

I think some of the best action scenes in Stargate are shooting scenes. Scenes in "Enemies" and "Threads" come instantly to mind.

Comment

continuing on with the spoilers of the season 5 ep..
                Spoiler:
                I thought they said it would have taken too long to get the device the gate?

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                  continuing on with the spoilers of the season 5 ep..
                  Spoiler:
                  I thought they said it would have taken too long to get the device the gate?
                  They
                  Spoiler:
                  did, my point was only that Ronon acted on his own, without any approval/orders from Sheppard when he shot the device

Comment

Well, I think that the producers anticipated that viewers wanted shoot-em-up episodes. It seemed like every season had one just for that purpose, such as 'Sateda' or 'Midway'.
                    ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Comment

For me there's a world of difference between just shooting at feeble Wraith and watching them fall down like dominoes or watching static big ships like the Daedalus shoot it out in space, and real action.

I love action where the team is actively evading ground forces that are skilled enough to pose a real threat (season one Wraith) or evading other ships in a little puddlejumper.

TPTB seemed too caught up in explosions and ship battles just for the sake of throwing in some CGI effects, or having the team wander around hive ships with hardly any shooting, or a token few shots that take out all the Wraith at once and make them look totally ineffective as adversaries. But that's all comes back to lazy writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                        For me there's a world of difference between just shooting at feeble Wraith and watching them fall down like dominoes or watching static big ships like the Daedalus shoot it out in space, and real action.
                        At least Sateda had the Uber-Wraith who had to be taken out with a drone.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

I love action where the team is actively evading ground forces that are skilled enough to pose a real threat (season one Wraith) or evading other ships in a little puddlejumper.

TPTB seemed too caught up in explosions and ship battles just for the sake of throwing in some CGI effects, or having the team wander around hive ships with hardly any shooting, or a token few shots that take out all the Wraith at once and make them look totally ineffective as adversaries. But that's all comes back to lazy writing.
                          Agreed , well except for the ship battles part. To this day the first season's mid two parter The storm/ The eye are in to me in the top five best Atlantis episodes while Sateda is just plain and simple the worst Stargate episode ever( the only Stargate episode I actually stopped watching because it was so BAD)
                          Hmm, The Bible, what a waste of perfectly good toilet paper.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1215985784
                          Your Current Signature Picture

Comment

Originally posted by delta1135 View Post
                            There were so many times in Atlantis when I wish that Sheppard had taken Ronan's side and just went on a killing spree. Especially in the episode Irresponsible I wish that Sheppard just shot Lucius. There was almost never enough foot action in Atlantis. When I say foot, I mean with the P90s and stuff. Does this irritate anybody else?
                            This would have been totally out of character for Sheppard. Storm/Eye episodes I understand but more of it as in the way I understand you explaining would have killed the show.
                            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                            Individuality is freedom lived.
                            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by amokay View Post
                              Agreed , well except for the ship battles part. To this day the first season's mid two parter The storm/ The eye are in to me in the top five best Atlantis episodes while Sateda is just plain and simple the worst Stargate episode ever( the only Stargate episode I actually stopped watching because it was so BAD)
                              Really? Sateda was one of my favorite. The Storm/Eye were good but not the best, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X