Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Brian J. Smith ("Matthew Scott")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTERVIEW: Brian J. Smith ("Matthew Scott")

AUDIO INTERVIEW:
    FUTURE FACE
    GateWorld talks with Brian J. Smith

GateWorld gets introduced to a new face from Stargate Universe!

READ MORE ...

Very nice interview, thank you. He sounds like a good guy, and very interested in making a success out of this new role.
    But, hey, what's with this:
    GW: I have not kept it a secret that I think that Stargate needs a reinfusion of really good acting. Not just faces, but really good actors. So I think it's important that we get people in who can really mop up the floor.
    Way to make me not resent SGU - NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
      Very nice interview, thank you. He sounds like a good guy, and very interested in making a success out of this new role.
      But, hey, what's with this:

Way to make me not resent SGU - NOT.
      I have to be honest, I found the quoted portion of the interview above quite disrespectful to the actors on Stargate:Atlantis. I don't resent SGU because of that statement, because if the writing and direction of the show aren't outstanding, if the concept doesn't work, then it won't matter how good the actors supposedly are... and anyway, how 'good' an actor is is rather dependent on personal perspective...
      sigpic

Comment

"I'm really excited about the Sky Train."

HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Oh man, I love this guy already.

This guy will get a rude awakening, that's for sure, and I'm not talking about the noise. When you talk to him again, David, tell him to avoid it at all costs during rush hour, lest he wants to be pressed into a pancake by the crowds. I am not exaggerating.

It's great way to lose weight though.

Anyway, this guy's great! I really appreciate how excited and easy-going and casual he was. The little "spiel" about the dogs was laugh-out-loud hilarity.

He just seems like a big kid, and that's just awesome. The best actors are those who knows when to not take themselves that seriously (i.e. David Hewlett, RDA, among others). Good stuff.

Oh, and VERY nice job conducting the interview, David!

EDIT: Oh **** yeah he was a Trekkie! That's at least 2 Trekkies for SGU!
        Last edited by PG15; 03 February 2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
          I have to be honest, I found the quoted portion of the interview above quite disrespectful to the actors on Stargate:Atlantis. I don't resent SGU because of that statement, because if the writing and direction of the show aren't outstanding, if the concept doesn't work, then it won't matter how good the actors supposedly are... and anyway, how 'good' an actor is is rather dependent on personal perspective...
          I agree with you about the statement. I thought it was needlessly mean.
          I have had a feeling of resentment towards SGU since the cancellation of SGA and have been working quite hard to overcome those emotions and will try to enjoy the new show.
          I meant to say, and not well, that the statement brought up those old feelings that SGA has been tossed aside for a newer, younger, "better" toy. I wish I had not seen it as it seems that even GW is happy to be rid of the old show.
          So it makes me sad. That's all. Won't post more here about it.

Comment

Brian sounds really enthusiastic and seems keen to get started on filming.I love dogs,so I hope he gets that pet soon,landlord permitting.

(Re the section quoted from David,I personally didn't read/hear that he was referring to the actors from the previous Shows at all,but just the SG "Franchise" in general, but he can speak for himself about that .)
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I appreciate everyone who has written in. I am a long-time Stargate viewer who is extremely lucky to be able to share some exclusives from the upper levels at Stargate productions with my fellow viewers.

As a fan of 12 years of Stargate franchise there are high points and low points for me. Are there parts of the franchise I have loved? Yes! Are there parts of the franchise I have disliked? Indeed! That does not make me less of a fan from someone who has loved the entire thing. Nor am I more of a fan than anyone else. You just happen to come to my site.

As Linzi pointed out, if you liked or disliked elements of the show it is a "personal perspective." My work on GateWorld is personal. I develop it in my free time. I am not publicizing the Stargate franchise for publicity's sake. I publicize it because I love it. And I'll be darned if my work prevents me from speaking out on how I'd like to see the show be better.

I think Stargate is the greatest sci fi franchise to exist. But for me as a viewer, some of the acting on Atlantis could have been better. I stand by that. Firmly.

Comment

I completely LOVED this interview ...Brian has me so jazzed about seeing him jump into the show I really enjoy seeing new faces and fresh talent finding their voice in shows that I already love. so having it be a franchise I enjoy so much, I hope will be no exception. He has so many qualities already that I enjoy in many actors I as a fan like to gush over. He is funny, has a great sense of himself and he sounds like he is just willing to try anything. I love that adventurous spirit

I will definitely try to take the time to see him in the Law and Order episode as well just to get a taste.

I love his enthusiasm and I love that he is a trekkie ... I seriously am just more jazzed because of his excitement
                although...I have to say....cats are easier to travel with
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Loved the interview Seems like a nice guy, he should get a dog like in lost there should be a regular dog on the show

I also like that Robert Carlyle was invloved in casting
                  Last edited by Promethius30; 03 February 2009, 06:04 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                  Metal gear fan

Comment

I thought the interviewer's comment about SGA's acting incredibly uncalled for. It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how many times the Stargate franchise claims to have a family atmosphere between it's management, cast and crew, that when push comes to shove, the dirt flies. Snide comments from producers about certain actors is so incredibly unprofessional and after reading that comment, I think GW falls into that category.

I had expected a more unbiased approach. The question wasn't even necessary to the interview. When the SGA movie starts filming, will you be falling all over the actors for an interview?

A few cons are coming up...might be interesting to ask the SGA actors how they felt about the comment...and how supportive and unbiased GW really is.

But then again, they are professionals.

Comment

I suggest that folks take a step back, reread his statement and pretend that he's talking about a new version of Law and Order joining the franchise, or CSI and give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's entitled to his opinion and I see nothing wrong or offensive in there. Only comments that can be seen as 'wrong' or 'offensive' if someone is really determined.

SGA, when it started was a 'given' that it'd succeed. The presumption seemed to be that the fanbase of one show would just naturally slip over to the new one and all would be rosy. Didn't quite turn out that way. The shows were different enough that some fans simply couldn't make the switch.

But, the shows were different enough that some new fans joined SGA that wouldn't touch SG1 with a 10 foot pole.

SGU will face the same challenges. And, if it's really as different as we've been hearing, they really can't take an existing fan base for granted. They need to come out of the gates swinging and ready to take on the challenge of building a fan base mostly from scratch.

To do that, you need to have strong people and talent, both in front of and behind the camera.

THAT's how I read David's statement. That SGU will face some very difficult challenges and that they need to have the skills and talent in place to take them on.

SGU will literally make or break the franchise. So no pressure there at all.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The only way this interview could have possibly been any better, was if by some magical (or technical means, like an Atlantis/Asgard transporter) it could have been done in person, and made into a video interview.

Aside from that, I could not find any or very little (IMHO) in anything you discussed or asked him. Somethings need to be said, even if people don't want to hear them.

I'm looking forward to SGU even more, after this down to earth interview.
                        Thanks for making 35 minutes more of my life enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          I suggest that folks take a step back, reread his statement and pretend that he's talking about a new version of Law and Order joining the franchise, or CSI and give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's entitled to his opinion and I see nothing wrong or offensive in there. Only comments that can be seen as 'wrong' or 'offensive' if someone is really determined.

SGA, when it started was a 'given' that it'd succeed. The presumption seemed to be that the fanbase of one show would just naturally slip over to the new one and all would be rosy. Didn't quite turn out that way. The shows were different enough that some fans simply couldn't make the switch.

But, the shows were different enough that some new fans joined SGA that wouldn't touch SG1 with a 10 foot pole.

SGU will face the same challenges. And, if it's really as different as we've been hearing, they really can't take an existing fan base for granted. They need to come out of the gates swinging and ready to take on the challenge of building a fan base mostly from scratch.

To do that, you need to have strong people and talent, both in front of and behind the camera.

THAT's how I read David's statement. That SGU will face some very difficult challenges and that they need to have the skills and talent in place to take them on.

SGU will literally make or break the franchise. So no pressure there at all.
                          I'm getting rather confused about this vision statement when GW themselves seem to be able accuse the SGA actors of being bad actors but yet I get modded for calling the writers frat boys.. why is my opinion considered insulting but yet GW inteviewers is not....

Brian Smith seems a decent enough guy but he alone is not going to make me excited about SGU.. I'm sure he will do his best .. just as all the SGA actors did their best but that doesnt make a good show... there are many more ingredients that need to come together to make a good show .. I'm sure all of the new actors are looking forward to their roles but it doesnt inspire anymore enthusiasm in me for SGU.... IMO SGA had wonderful actors... all of them... but they could only do so much with what they were given ... and it will be intersting to see what kind of material the SGU characters get to work with...before we can comment on their acting abilities..
                          sigpic

Comment

Give the shol'va David a break, you can't expect him to think every aspect about the show is perfect.

Great interview, but I'm trying not to get too hyped up. I think I got too hyped for Continuum so there was initial disappointment when I first watched it because it didn't live up to the huge hype it had.
                            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by KhaosNite13 View Post
                              The only way this interview could have possibly been any better, was if by some magical (or technical means, like an Atlantis/Asgard transporter) it could have been done in person, and made into a video interview.
                              When we're in Vancouver with him I'm sure we'll be able to work something out, but he was in New York and I'm in Phoenix. And now he's happily settling in Vancouver!

Comment

Working...
                              X