Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Brian J. Smith ("Matthew Scott")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
    Perhaps you should post the quote Darren gave you permission to quote here too, so as this situation can finally be laid to rest, now that Darren has made a decision about it all?
    Ok:
    Thanks, Cazz. Just a quick follow-up: I just chatted with David about this (at his instigation), and we agreed instantly that this sort of commentary is just out of place in interviews. While it's perfectly fine if we share our opinions with an actor or writer in the course of an interview, it ought to be cut from the final product.

Darren
    What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Ya know folks Maybe we could move passed the ONE comment by David and focus instead on the Person who was Interviewed and the Topic of the Interview Brian J Smith

If you feel you need to say more regarding this you can let Darren or David know personally and privately and allow the rest of the folks who would like to be excited about Brian joining the new show make some comments and possibly discuss him since he had a bit to say in this interview as well
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
        Ya know folks Maybe we could move passed the ONE comment by David and focus instead on the Person who was Interviewed and the Topic of the Interview Brian J Smith

If you feel you need to say more regarding this you can let Darren or David know personally and privately and allow the rest of the folks who would like to be excited about Brian joining the new show make some comments and possibly discuss him since he had a bit to say in this interview as well
        Brian Smith seems like a very fine young man and I wish him all the success in the world.
        Unfortunately, for me, the main thing that sticks in my mind was the interviewer's disparaging statement about the SGA actors. The rest of the interview becomes a blur, background noise to that one unfortunate statement.
        sigpic

Comment

well, why don't we take this in a different direction. Those that are looking forward to Universe, what part of what Brian said encouraged you or instilled some 'oh, interesting'.

We have a pretty good idea of what people thought about David's comment, now what did others think about the rest of the interview?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

What i read so far, i like his enthusiasm. I also like that he's totally new to scifi. We won't have a lot of that 'oh, he's just replaying......' crit. He walks in the door sans baggage and fans from another show that will hold up his present character with what he's done before.

he seems very enthusiastic about his role
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

[mod snip - off topic]

Now the actor. Cute as a button, probably a little too cute for heartthrob status and seems like a very nice young man so hope he does well (haven't seen him in anything so can't judge the acting and wouldn't until I saw him in the part - even good actors can be rubbish in roles they are miscast in, or are just badly written)

But it doesn't make me want to watch the show, or even be interested in the show - my favourite actor of all time would possibly, but not definitely, make me tune in to a show, and so far my only reaction to Universe is huh?

But as I say, seems like a perfectly nice young man.
              Last edited by Darren; 04 February 2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

One more follow-up from the moderators, as we've had to snip and delete a few posts even after two mods asked everyone to let the comment issue drop and move on to discuss the rest of the interview.

Please let the issue drop, and move on to discuss the contents of the rest of the interview. Brian strikes me as a cool and very excited guy, and he said a lot of interesting things worth talking about. I hope this will be the final word on the subject.

David and I talked yesterday and agreed (as posted above) that the comment shouldn't have been in the interview. We'll do our best to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen again. That said, David has the right to his opinions, and I think he stated it tactfully -- and in a general way that can only be taken to apply to any particular show or actor if you are trying to make it apply. Actors' performances are just as much fair game for respectful critique as are the writers' scripts.

We've heard your disappointment and sense of hurt, and we respect that and apologize for any insult. As for the Atlantis actors -- we know these guys and gals and have personal relationships with many of them, and insulting them is the last thing we'd ever want to do. Feel free to contact David or myself by private message if you feel that something is still unresolved or unaddressed.

Additional comments on David's remark should go in PM, and will be removed if they show up below. Thanks!
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  well, why don't we take this in a different direction. Those that are looking forward to Universe, what part of what Brian said encouraged you or instilled some 'oh, interesting'.

We have a pretty good idea of what people thought about David's comment, now what did others think about the rest of the interview?
                  All the interview showed me is that he seems a nice guy.. nothing else. I have no idea who he is and havn't seen him in anything so no idea about his acting abilities either. He just looks incredibly young for me to take any interest in his character. It certaintly hasn't inspired me to want to watch SGU, probably made me even less inclined to watch..

SGU seemingly is going to be a mix between BSG and Lost... with lots of character moments between this predominately young cast.. well I never liked either of these shows and never connected with any of the charactors the way I connected to the SGA one.. and I think SGU will be the same.

So nothing about this interview has changed my mind about watching SGU... I think I'll stick to rewatching SGA and enjoying the wonderful cast that grabbed me from day one...
                  sigpic

Comment

This is not a very constructive post but damn, he's HOT!
                    Last edited by Osiris; 06 February 2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                      <mod snip> but damn, he's HOT!
                      Why do I have a feeling thunk threads will be developing soon
                      Last edited by TameFarrar; 05 February 2009, 07:31 AM.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                        <mod snip> but damn, he's HOT!
                        Yeah, for someone who looks around Harry Potter's age. Sorry. Way, way too baby-faced. Perhaps not a character that many people over age thirty will be able to relate to, IMO. But I suppose his looks will attract the demographic sci-fi is looking to "capture."

His enthusiasm is nice if a bit too willing to please, but the interview as a whole didn't do anything for me in the way of wanting to watch Universe.
                        Last edited by TameFarrar; 05 February 2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

great to see someome so happy for this role

i'm looking forward to the new show
                          this has happened before and will happen again

Comment

You know what? I'm happy for the guy. He just seems to genuinely happy to be doing this and so excited that I can't help but be excited for him.

It's a big shot for him and I hope it works out.

Right now, with no episodes out, the cast still in the works, that's about all I can go on. TPTB, the actors, they all seem really excited about this new project. That's usually a good sign. People tend to really apply themselves to something they really love and believe in.

And he's cute. Which...you know...doesn't hurt.
                            sigpic

Comment

I wish Brian J. Smith (a HOTTIE by the way! ) and the rest of the cast and crew of Stargate: Universe much success! I look forward to the Universe premiere!
                              sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

Working...
                              X