Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the SGA characters' surnames give clues to their respective personalities?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the SGA characters' surnames give clues to their respective personalities?

I was wondering about that when I noticed that my other favorite show, "Lost", has the character named "Jack Shepherd" (although I don't know how the last name is officially spelled). First I thought it was funny/cool that the characters (John Sheppard/Jack Shepherd) had the same name, since "Jack" can be a nickname for "John" (I only figured that nickname thing out when I tried to list all of the Kennedy brothers and couldn't figure out which one was Jack ).

But then I noticed that the prominent 'protector' of the group for each show was given the Sheppard/Shepherd name. That's gotta be intentional, right? And a "weir" can be a "dam placed across a river or canal to raise or divert the water, as for a millrace, or to regulate or measure the flow [quoted from dictionary.com]." Elizabeth Weir is pretty much in charge of deciding who goes through the gate to and from Atlantis to other places in the Pegasus Galaxy, or ultimately, who gets back to Earth, right? So she controls the "flow" of people! And last, a real stretch would be to say that a "ford" is a shallow place to wade across a river, so could Lt. Aiden Ford be someone who helps (aids) others to overcome obstacles to get to where they need to be? There's probably no Aiden/aid connection since Aiden is Gaelic for 'fire', but I thought I'd try to add that other detail to his name/personality.

Well, the other names, like McKay, Emmagan, Beckett, Bates, Grodin, Kavanagh, etc., really don't fit the pattern, but I thought I'd ask if you thought some were given names with the idea that their name gave hints to the particular character's personality.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Z_2; 23 November 2004, 02:38 PM. Reason: I saw something that needed editing.

SGA fans' ages poll

Isnt it "Fjord"..the shallow wading water ?
    The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

Originally posted by Fox McCloud
      Isnt it "Fjord"..the shallow wading water ?
      I guess it could be. I was just going by the definitions of "ford" given by dictionary.com, since that's his last name.

But like I said, having "Ford" define his character was more of a stretch than Sheppard and Weir.

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

I believe Fjord is a norwegian(Think we have it in swedish too) word for a very small river or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Z_2
          And last, a real stretch would be to say that a "ford" is a shallow place to wade across a river, so could Lt. Aiden Ford be someone who helps (aids) others to overcome obstacles to get to where they need to be? There's probably no Aiden/aid connection since Aiden is Gaelic for 'fire',
          He AIDS with support FIRE...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaloo
            He AIDS with support FIRE...
            You get some good ratings for that! Pretty creative!

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

In risk of repeating Kaloo, Aiden was intended to be the weapons expert of the Atlantis team. A guy who's name is "fire" is an expert in fire-arms.

Oddly enough, Rodney means "land near the water," which is yet another water themed name on a show about a sea-bound city. This is more of a coincidence, however, as he existed long before Stargate Atlantis. Unless it has something to do with the stargate's water/puddle appearance, and how he was always near the gate in terms of what he knew about it.

Carson Beckett. Carson means "son of Carr" and Carr is a name meaning "marshland." Once again, an area of land associated with... water.

I know it's sort of a stretch, but "Emma" is part of "Emmagan." Emma is a Latin word meaning "universal." Teyla is used as an interplanetary liason (sort of universal) plus the Ancient language seems to be similar to Latin. Yeah, I'm really going to a stretch of that one.
              It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

That's some great insight! I wonder if they put all that thought into Carson's and Teyla's name, along with Aiden's (I missed that detail)!

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  I believe Fjord is a norwegian(Think we have it in swedish too) word for a very small river or something like that.
                  A fjord is a narrow coastal inlet between high cliffs, created by glacial action. Slartibartfarst built them and the Norwegian blue pined for them.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

omg. thank you so much mr prophet.! i didnt think anyone else knew about slartiblartfast! (go h.h.g.t.g.).

anyway, about the names, thats an interesting way to look at it. it'd be cool if it were to be right.
                    ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

There are a lot of us about... you might be surprised!!
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

You can spot us by our towels. (Just don't enquire about the spots on our towels.)

Madeleine

Comment

I was just thinking about something. For Weir to be so aptly-named as one who would "control the flow" of people through the stargate, TPTB either had to think of her name early on in her character development before she came to Atlantis (since she isn't a new character with this series), or they just happened to be prophetic (or good with foreshadowing)! Wild.

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

hum, well i was looking around at some name sites but i could only find first names, but this seems, interesting... lol

Although the name Aiden creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it can cause a superior, interfering expression whose favorite expression is "I know" when not combined with a balanced last name. This name, when not combined with a balanced last name, can also frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses through worry and mental tension.

Your name of Aiden gives you a clever mind, good business judgment, a sense of responsibility, and an appreciation of the finer things of life. You are serious-minded and not inclined to make light of things even in little ways, and in your younger years you had more mature interests than others your age. Home and family mean a great deal to you and it is natural that you should desire the security of a peaceful, settled home environment where you can enjoy the companionship of family and friends. Whatever you set out to accomplish you do your very best to complete in accordance with what you consider to be right.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Working...
                            X