No announcement yet.

The Gift (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked how they incorporated that bit about Earth into this ep.

Like Stargate Agent says, most of these eps suffer from budget depletion, but an interesting psychological plot and good acting more than makes up for it!

"You are all so pitiful..."

It never ceases to amaze me that the creators conjured up a race as cocky as the Goa'uld.

What we learned from this episdoe:
    If you're going to use an inter-galactic series of teleportation device to transplant humans in another galaxy, it may be a good idea to scope out the general native inhabitants before doing so.

Comment

I originally did not like Atlantis at all, but thought maybe it would get better over time, and in the last couple of episodes, it seemed to be getting better.

And then this thing came along...does anyone else thinks this episode is right down there with "Hide and Seek"?
      FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

In regards to how first seasons go for most shows Atlantis is having a great year.
        I have seen Battlestar Gallaticas first season and it stinks, the first episode was great but it was all downhill from there.

The Gift wasn't like Hide and Seek. I can see you your saying tho because Hide and Seek was after Rising which took a lot of money so Hide and Seek would suffer slightly and The Gift is right before the Seige...

In regards to the Wraith not knowing the Earth address. I wouldn't think they would need to goto Atlantis actually get to earth. I mean come on they have hyperspace capable ships. Prometheus was gonna goto Atlantis through space in Prometheus Unbound although someting else came up...

The wraith just need earth's address...
        5 days till the Seige OOOOOOOOOO YEAAAAAH
        Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
        - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
        - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
        Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
        Mayboune: *shrugs*
        - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

I'm glad we got a Teyla episode. Too bad there wasn't enough about her or that RL was a bit blander than she should have been. We get to know a little more about her but not yet enough to actually like her or get to know her personality better.
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger
            Just a little thing I noticed about the nightmares,
            Spoiler:
            the Wraith in Teyla's nightmare is infact the Wraith that infiltrates Atlantis in The Siege.
            I think that's the standard Wraith actor. Same guy who played the Wraith in the Defiant One and Poisoning the Well.

Comment

Originally posted by corn
              I understand why he let them go. But wouldnt a more efficient way to weaken their psychic powers be to kill them before they were let go? He is a wraith after all he could have just ate them.

I would imagine, as a rogue, he would need to do things quietly, and his resources are probably limited as well. So he might not had the resource available or artificially create their descendents or block out their psychic abilities.

And eating his experimental subjects are kinda counter productive, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimeron
                I would imagine, as a rogue, he would need to do things quietly, and his resources are probably limited as well. So he might not had the resource available or artificially create their descendents or block out their psychic abilities.

And eating his experimental subjects are kinda counter productive, no?
                It was a failed experiment. Nothing productive was still to come out of it. The intention of letting them go is that it was hoped they would breed out there mutation and become like everyone else. Also, he was trying to hide the experiment, what better way is there to hide something tahn to destroy it.

Comment

An illuminating episode if not a tad creepy...
                  A connection between the Ancients and the Wraith... finally some substance to a lot of theorizing. Certainly leaves the door wide open for a lot more theorizing. "Flawed Ancients" are definitely a lot more interesting than "all powerful Ancients". Nice explanation of why some Athosians (including Teyla) can sense the Wraith... Interesting too that there are lots of rogue scientists roaming around the galaxies conducting Mengele type experiments.

A nice Ford/Teyla moment... brief though it was... just realized that they don't get too many moments interacting with each other.

Some really good Weir moments too. She does look less jaded with a thicker application of eyeliner... it softens the iron maiden facade too. I'm glad they finally used her linguistic abilities... she's been too busy putting out fires (figuratively) from the word "go".

I'm with Capt Chris regarding Teyla... the girls just doesn't do anything for me still. Maybe she never will... maybe she just needs a hair cut...

Sheppard's looking good with those sticks... he's no Jet Li but it'll do... There's a darkside to the Major emerging... could be very interesting.

The control chair... yes, yes, yes... very suggestive of things to come, won't you say? Exciting times ahead... *now wondering if we'll have a end of season cliffhanger*
                  Who in Atlantis is Dr Kusanagi... the cute Japanese girl from the previous episode?? Obviously he or she has the ancient gene...

Atlantis is just full of surprises...
                  Last edited by Easter Lily; 19 January 2005, 09:10 PM.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by corn
                    The intention of letting them go is that it was hoped they would breed out there mutation and become like everyone else. Also, he was trying to hide the experiment, what better way is there to hide something tahn to destroy it.
                    That's what the show said, and I know we'll never come back to this, but still... isn't that a little humane for a Wraith? I would've just sucked 'em down, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                      The Ancients could have lied... to cover their own asses cause they screwed up?
                      LOL

If the producer come with that excuse it will suck

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzcoatl
                        That's what the show said, and I know we'll never come back to this, but still... isn't that a little humane for a Wraith? I would've just sucked 'em down, problem solved.
                        I think their intention was that the telepathy was bred out, but the tastiness / efficiency wasn't...
                        The Unknown James

Comment

Originally posted by Soforizo
                          Chev,

A "dark world" is not the equivalent of saying a "dark galaxy". It is very likely, that the "dark world" where the Ancients encountered the Wraith, was the world where the bug-man evolved. When the ancients set foot on that world, they encountered the sleeping enemy.
                          Ok let me explain it to you in slow motion :

1. The ancients came to pegasus galaxy bringing humans with them and started seeding the worlds, in other words there was no human life form in pegasus, let me quote the holo lady: "…In the hope of spreading new life in a galaxy where there appeared to be none. Soon, the new life grew and prospered, Here,as before, we built a system of Stargates, so that fledgling civilizations could travel between the stars, exchanging knowledge and friendship. In time, a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form.Then one day our people step foot on a dark world where a terrible enemy slept. Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own. In our overconfidence we weren’t prepared, and outnumbered. The enemy fed upon the defenseless human worlds like a great scourge" . When she said "appeared to be none." she says they thought there was none but there was .. THE WRAITH.
                          In this one "Soon, the new life grew and prospered" she talks about the humans "In time, a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form" humans again, "one day our people step foot on a dark world where a terrible enemy slept" in this one we know she is talking about the wraith but the fact she says "slept" means that this enemy wasnt around or awake not at least until they step foot in this dark world wich kind of implies that they might be part responsible for the wraith awaking but not for the wraith creation , "Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own" in this one I personaly think she talks about their healing powers not their technology ( watch before I sleep) the coment about the wraith no being a match to ancient ships one on one.

and second I' will quote your post

2. "they encountered the sleeping enemy"
                          Last edited by 9-Chevron; 20 January 2005, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzcoatl
                            The easiest way to explain that is:

- Ancients seed the world with the bugs
                            - The bugs evolve, master the Gate system
                            - They go to a world on the outskirts of Pegasus
                            - The Ancients later "set foot" upon that world

There's other possible variations, but you get the idea
                            It can make sence but
                            once the holo lady says : "The enemy fed upon the defenseless human worlds like a great scourge" also the whole episode of sanctuary they state that humans and ancient are different similar yes but different.

then the whole seeding with bugs makes no sence

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                              Look...

I knew it!! I knew that it would turn out the Ancients had accidentally initiated the Wraith evolution by getting their "human seeding" mixed up with the Wraith bug. I don't remember when, but I know I said I believed that to have been the case some time before we got the spoilers for this episode. Hah! It's great to be right!

I know some will say this contradicts established canon because the Ancient hologram in 'Rising' said they stumbled upon a sleeping enemy, but it doesn't. Think about it, the Ancients seeded planets probably by the hundreds. They probably just initiated human evolution, then moved on and let nature run its course... They never knew what happened on whatever particular planet this mishap took place, and then millions of years later... they stumbled upon the Wraith. Just like the hologram lady said.
                              Makes sence until the holo lady says: "The enemy fed upon the defenseless human worlds like a great scourge"
                              1. why didnt they fed before ?
                              2. the galaxy is huge and the ancients were seeding a lot of worlds before they got this "dark world".
                              3. How can you say "They never knew what happened on whatever particular planet this mishap took place" when the holo says :"Soon, the new life grew and prospered" is clear they were checking progress in the human planets .

O and dont say that the wraith writing is derivative of ancient because thats new and for it being doesnt mean it covers the hole in ep 1 cause they are making this up now

Comment

Good and interesting episode.

I learned that the fear and loathing of psychiatry is universal. "/

That some insect bites cause more than just a rash.

That if you give an insect opposable thumbs they will conquer the galaxy.

Seriously, though, I love the idea of an insect species advancing so frighteningly fast (evolutionarily speaking). As "mindless, unintelligent bugs" they are already the most organised and resilient species on this planet. I think that of all the creatures the PTB could have emulated, insects scare us the most. Well, they scare me the most, anyways.

I do wonder how the heck the first Wraith babies - or, make that swarm? were conceived, survived and thrived. I also wonder if these Pegasus bugs are related to the big honkin' bugs in MW galaxy(Bane).

Great stuff from my fav secondary character, Bates! Loved his angryness! And his "Told ya, didn't I? It's a good thing somebody remembers protocol. What would you do without me watching your sixes." look.

Loved Zelenka, telling MacKay he wasn't getting to the point quickly enough, giving him a taste of his own medicine.

Since I'm not letting myself get spoiled for the eps, I was sure that the Wraith in the opening scene was the scout from The Brotherhood. All the way through to the end I was expecting they'd discover that it was the scout's presence that had awakened Teyla's increased sensitivity. I'm still hoping that it is the case.

This is the type of ep that spoilers ruin, IMO. Not knowing made the whole ep just a little more edge-of-my-seat for me.
                                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                                X