The Gift (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easter Lily
    Aren't the Wraith the equivalent of collective-minded insects? Is it really telepathy that they have or are they just telepathically linked with each other? Like the Replicators or the Borg (Star Trek:TNG)?
    Makes sense. And as soon as you're linked (like Teyla was), you do what the collective mind wants you to do because you can't sneak around there for long.

Hmm...I just hope they won't invent a Wraith queen.
    Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
      What paranoia? (Bates') instincts have been right every time so far. To him, whether or not Teyla is an enemy collaborator isn't even the issue. The Atlantis expedition really doesn't know very much about anyone from the Pegasus galaxy. If everyone else is so quick to embrace the locals as "long lost cousins", Bates has to remain the voice of caution. It may be through no fault of her own but Teyla HAS been the source of some significant security breaches in Atlantis.
      I quite agree. Everyone knew that it was Teyla's connection to the Wraith that gave away the beta site Bates and his men were almost killed scouting out; he was right to voice his strong opposition to Teyla reconnecting, so to speak, because who knew what all else the Wraith would discover?

And did anyone else wonder if Teyla's ardent desire to reconnect might have had more to do with Wraith control, the reawakening of an addiction? (I think of people who are born alcoholic; even though they have never abused alcohol, the very first drink can set them off.) Since Teyla is born with the Wraith gene for telepathy, Bates might have theorized that Teyla felt an overpowering need to connect with the hive.

What I think was telling was the look that Sheppard gave Bates after he stunned the out-of-control and dangerous Teyla. If there was any recrimination in that look, it was self-recrimination. His look said that Bates did the right thing.

For a secondary character, I think that the writers are really developing Bates to be Sheppard's equal and opposite. While Sheppard the military rebel gets things done by bending/breaking the rules, Bates gets things done by adhereing strictly to them. This is a very interesting and equal-handed character situation to develop and I hope that the writers continue.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

You know what?
        I justed watched the last five minutes of the episode again and I tend to revise my opinion towards your point of view. I guess I didn't really pay close attention because I just remembered how his "strictly by the book"-behaviour annoyed me back in "Suspicion". But even then, his attitude was justified up to a certain degree. I just didn't like it so much, but that doesn't make it wrong.

When he took Teyla down, he got an acknowledging nod from both Weir and Sheppard. So it pays to be cautious. Usually not my cup of tea, but then again you could compare the situation to that in "Gemini"
        Spoiler:
        where Carter could have used a bit of that Bates spirit.

But nevertheless...caution..paranoia...where's the difference? j/k (!)
        Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Comment

Like Johnny Fever says, "When they really ARE out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking!"

Comment

The Ancients found out a way to become immortal in a way, through ascension. Now I'm not gonna argue if this happened in the Milky Way, Pegasus, Ida or any other galaxy. I want to offer my theory on the Wraith: the Ancients, in their original, corporeal form, were as mortal as their human relatives. Maybe, there were some Ancient scientists looking for a way to get their race rid of aging and death. And that's when they started genetical experiments, basically combining their own DNA with that of the life-sucking insectoids. Because of the questionable character of these experiments, they were being conducted in secrecy, on some isolated planet with no stargate on it. The experiments were a success, as for their primary goal - creating an almost immortal lifeform. However, this brave new race had to keep their life by feeding upon other lifeforms. Very soon, they fed upon their own pitiable creators. When they had no more people to take their life energy from, they decided to ... have a nap.
            Time from time, they were awoken by some curious and unfortunate expedition; these occasional food supplies allowed the Wraith to grow in numbers and ... to gain knowledge. When their self-confidence reached a critical point, they started to behave in a more aggressive manner, engaging an arriving spaceship in a battle. At that moment, the Ancients finally found out there may be a problem, but the problem was underestimated. The Wraith were more determined, more cunning, more flexible than the Ancients could imagine at the moment. Since then, the Wraith were always one step ahead of the Ancients. And that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by .Ra.
              I want to offer my theory on the Wraith: the Ancients, in their original, corporeal form, were as mortal as their human relatives. Maybe, there were some Ancient scientists looking for a way to get their race rid of aging and death. And that's when they started genetical experiments, basically combining their own DNA with that of the life-sucking insectoids.
              IIIII LIKE it!

No, actually, it makes pretty good sense to me; the Ancients-as-humans on Planet Bug(probably known to them as La La Land or something....) may have been close to figuring out ascension or at least tinkering with certain principles of ascension.

Perhaps, as in the case of certain rogue Ancients/Wraith (various eps in SG-1 and Atlantis) these guys were secretly studying ascension with the native bug population(for whatever reason). Since ascension is an energy thing, the experimental subjects would have some connection to energy as well - unfortunately, that connection became one of literal energy consumption.

The experiments turned on their makers and the local population for food; thus, no word of this spread to other worlds, and the next wave of visiting Ancients to La La Land "awakened a sleeping enemy."

<nods> yeah, I can see this happening.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Yet another great episode and some good insights into Teyla's character. About time too. I didn't expect her to have Wraith DNA, but I was spoiled for her being able to in some ways connect to them.

I thought it was a bit funny that the opening shot - of the the two people in the Gate Room - showed them looking quite bored, instead of anxious and nervous. Sort of a "Would the Wraith just hurry up and GET here already so things can start happening!" feel to it.

Loved the shots of McKay looking into his empty coffe mug and the poster of Johnny Cash over Sheppard's bed. (Which, btw, was NOT up on the wall in the last episode. Yes, that's very important info. )

Nice bit of continuity with the stick fighting too. It didn't feel like a flirty or shippy or even gratuitous scene to me (nor did it feel like that in Hot Zone), and I'm grateful for that. Good way of showing us how Teyla's lack of sleep was getting to her.

Zelenka. Love him. And love the banter between him and McKay.

McKay: "I was going to say that."
                Zelenka: "Yes, but you were taking too long. As usual."
                -
                McKay: "You've gotta be kidding me!"
                Zelenka: "Pay up."

And I definitely agree with those who say that McKay is NOT dating Heightmeyer. It was pretty obvious to me that he was lying about the whole thing. It was hilarious to watch him try and decide which way he was going, in the background, when Teyla was about to go into Heightmeyer's office.

Liked that Weir got to use her linguistic skills here; but the idea of a Wraith writing down things in a journal-like way amused me some, I must admit.

Liked the conflict that Bates, once again, provided. And I kept wondering why they didn't take any more precautions when Teyla connected with the Wraith the third time around. They did see what happened to her the second time, so shouldn't they expect things to maybe, just maybe, get even more out of hand when she tried again? And things did in fact get out of hand, so in retrospect... Yeah.

Now bring on The Siege!
                Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                  Loved the shots of McKay looking into his empty coffe mug and the poster of Johnny Cash over Sheppard's bed. (Which, btw, was NOT up on the wall in the last episode. Yes, that's very important info. )
                  Hehe I noticted that too!...I wonder who he stole the Johnny Cash poster from. Or maybe it just takes Shep a very long time to unpack his belongs, since he's so busy going on missions and stuff.

And I definitely agree with those who say that McKay is NOT dating Heightmeyer. It was pretty obvious to me that he was lying about the whole thing. It was hilarious to watch him try and decide which way he was going, in the background, when Teyla was about to go into Heightmeyer's office.
                  I can see why people are saying McKay was lying about dating Heightmeyer, because it would seem like something Mckay was say to get out of saying "oh I have mental problems and needed to see the Psych Dr." But then the spoilers on GW were throwing me off since they said Mckay was involved with her...so i'm still confused.

But it is very plausible McKay was NOT dating her.

Liked the conflict that Bates, once again, provided. And I kept wondering why they didn't take any more precautions when Teyla connected with the Wraith the third time around. They did see what happened to her the second time, so shouldn't they expect things to maybe, just maybe, get even more out of hand when she tried again? And things did in fact get out of hand, so in retrospect... Yeah.
                  Maybe Bates was the extra precaution. He was more then willing to shoot Teyla a couple times.

Now bring on The Siege!
                  Yup i'm so ready for "The Siege"!!
                  ~Athena

Comment

The Ancients found out a way to become immortal in a way, through ascension. Now I'm not gonna argue if this happened in the Milky Way, Pegasus, Ida or any other galaxy. I want to offer my theory on the Wraith: the Ancients, in their original, corporeal form, were as mortal as their human relatives. Maybe, there were some Ancient scientists looking for a way to get their race rid of aging and death. And that's when they started genetical experiments, basically combining their own DNA with that of the life-sucking insectoids. Because of the questionable character of these experiments, they were being conducted in secrecy, on some isolated planet with no stargate on it. The experiments were a success, as for their primary goal - creating an almost immortal lifeform. However, this brave new race had to keep their life by feeding upon other lifeforms. Very soon, they fed upon their own pitiable creators. When they had no more people to take their life energy from, they decided to ... have a nap.
                    I like it Ra... it is pretty much what I used to think
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                      Not my problem. I have points to sprare.
                      You're quite the piece of work, aren't you? For someone who advises others to "all toughen your skin up", you're remarkably thin-skinned yourself to comments contrary to your own.

Oh, and thanks for that vindictive (and anonymous) negative rep point. For the record, I've never given anyone negative rep points and don't plan to start, even with you.
                      To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by queenselqet31
                        And Rodney has a g/f aww.
                        eh....wasn't he just covering because he didn't want anyone to know he was seeing a psychologist?

Comment

OK...

1. Definately some solid Teyla development here. She's stubborn, used to pressure as a leader(of sorts)and likes to keep her cards close to her chest. Fair enough.

2. I'd been spoiled about the DNA but not the Wraith evolving off the Ancients.

3. Very nicely done Teyla dream sequences.

4. Was 50/50 on the McKay/Kate thing.

Overall decent ep with a bit of a horror film feel to it.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                            That doctor chick was hot. They have had a lot of attractive women on this show so far...
                            That woman had inches of make up on! You'd need a shovel to get rid of it.
                            Parap pup pup paaa ... I'm Lovin' It!

Comment

Time from time, they were awoken by some curious and unfortunate expedition; these occasional food supplies allowed the Wraith to grow in numbers and ... to gain knowledge. When their self-confidence reached a critical point, they started to behave in a more aggressive manner, engaging an arriving spaceship in a battle. At that moment, the Ancients finally found out there may be a problem, but the problem was underestimated. The Wraith were more determined, more cunning, more flexible than the Ancients could imagine at the moment. Since then, the Wraith were always one step ahead of the Ancients. And that's it.

I'd say, this is the most plausible theory. reps for u.
                              Parap pup pup paaa ... I'm Lovin' It!

Comment

Originally posted by animoid
                                You know what?
                                I justed watched the last five minutes of the episode again and I tend to revise my opinion towards your point of view. I guess I didn't really pay close attention because I just remembered how his "strictly by the book"-behaviour annoyed me back in "Suspicion". But even then, his attitude was justified up to a certain degree. I just didn't like it so much, but that doesn't make it wrong.

When he took Teyla down, he got an acknowledging nod from both Weir and Sheppard. So it pays to be cautious. Usually not my cup of tea, but then again you could compare the situation to that in "Gemini" [spoiler] where Carter could have used a bit of that Bates spirit.[/spoiler]

But nevertheless...caution..paranoia...where's the difference? j/k (!)
                                I did not like Bates much when he appeared in Suspicion, but in the following episodes, he has shown a more "human" side. Obviously, he is more of a stickler for rules than Shepard, so he will always handle things differently.

Comment

Working...
                                X