No announcement yet.

The Impossible Planet (2808/208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah... terrific episode... THIS is why I continue to watch Dr Who... I hang out for episodes like this. A good mix of intrigue, creepiness and interplanetary gallivanting. The best one since Tooth and Claw IMHO... While it was off to a slow start, it picked up when young Tobias started hearing sweet nothings in his ear.
    Storytelling was in fine form here... a marked improvement from last week's hodge podge effort. It doesn't bother me much that it appears derivative... a dash of Pyramids, Event Horizon, Aliens and even a homage to LOTR... It was Kha'zadum and the Balrog all over again.

The story was so good that I groaned in disbelief when the credits started rolling and realised that it's a jolly two-parter. And we haven't really seen monster of the week in all his glory yet.
    Last edited by Easter Lily; 04 June 2006, 12:02 AM.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I loved this episode, and really glad it is a two parter!

This is what it should all be about, real interaction with others, peril that is believable. And oh no! No T.A.R.D.I.S!!! *again*

The Ood are great! I love that name, I haven't read anyone else's posts didn't want to be spoiled... but did anyone else think Firefly? I got a Firefly vibe from the music, I really like the music.

Roll on next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
        Well I'm loving this ep.
        Great religious theme, with a *really* daunting enemy. It felt a little bit Stargate to me, anyone else get a stargate feel? Just a tad? Maybe? Anyone? Kay... Ill shut up. But seriously, not only the archeologist and all the runes and what not, but the idea of mixing religious figures and space and stuff... I kept thinking AH! So THAT'S where Sokar has been hiding!
        i agree, it was quite stargate like, did anyone else notice the P90s the guards where carrying around, almost makes me think that the production team where paying a small amount of homage to it (or mabye that's just me). i think the Ood are going to become very cool next week, and hopfully we'll get to see this "demon" although it could be an interesting touch to have him/it as just a disembodied voice commanding it's minions. i think that the episode also reminded me of the background of warhammer 40000, combining sci-fi with fantasy, even down to the dark god type thing, the set design, interesting combination, stargate and warhammer, now theres an idea...

Comment

I know there was no Torchwood reference, but think about WHAT scientific group the research time might belong to....

Of course there doesn't have to be a reference every ep, but I have a suspicion this might be the case.

Comment

Rose is a plot device. Simple as. I'm amazed that Piper is happy about the stupid "Camilla" esque comments shes been making since Girl In The Fireplace. It's a dumb explanation followed by a goofy expression, and I'm REALLY hating the shippiness. Ive seen an icon actually with DT on it saying "Dear Diary, am questioning my own sexuality..... I think I may have one" I do love that.

In any case, other than stupid Rose. One of the bets eps EVER. Including Classic Who, and that says soemthing. For me it ranks up there along side School Reuinion, Tooth & Claw, Dalek, Parting of The Ways, Genesis of The Daleks, City of Death, Robots of Death and the Movie.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

OMFG This Ep was so amazing !!!!!!!!!!
              It had everything that Doctor Who should have and the production team have given us such lush Scenes that we know what they can do definatly.
              The Ood were realy predicatable but did give a good Laugh
              'We Must Feed....You I was totally ROFL at that point. I think they are going to follow the beleif that the reason why they make themselves slaves is to be an army for 'the beast' voiced by the fellow who voiced the chilling Sutekh the Destroyer from Pyramids of Mars (one of the most classic of all classic episodes).
              Nice Doctor and Rose Dynamic not as cheesy as last episode but you can tell how much they care about each other. And their freindship was tested more with another the TARDIS is lost moment.
              One question how many times is the TARDIS going to get lost and/or die this season it is starting to get repetitive.
              A great use of non - main characters really fleshing out like Toby and so on.
              The Little Lord of the Rings moment was cool too when they foudn that temple.
              Roll on Next week !!!!!
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobing
                I know there was no Torchwood reference, but think about WHAT scientific group the research time might belong to....

Of course there doesn't have to be a reference every ep, but I have a suspicion this might be the case.
                Hmmm...there was a reference to "The Empire" and I do know that an "Earth Empire" has been mentioned so that probably solves who the science team is working for. Whether Torchwood is still around at this point in history I'm not sure.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.
                  I agree with others that this had a Stargate feel to it.
                  It's great to be away from Earth.
                  I loved the look of the space station, and seeing the cavern was just a 'wow' moment for me. I just loved the whole look of this episode.
                  Rose was a bit annoying again, and I'm not sure I like all the 'shippy' implications between her and the Doctor.
                  The other characters were great, and I felt I got to know them in a very short time.
                  The Ood were a bit cheesy, but they look good and I love the talking devices they use.
                  I think the fact we haven't really seen the demon is good, and helps to keep the tension up.

I'm really looking forward to next week.
                  sigpic

Comment

Good episode, but was I the only one practically screaming at the security guy to actually use that gun he was brandishing when Evil Toby started raising his arms?
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                      Good episode, but was I the only one practically screaming at the security guy to actually use that gun he was brandishing when Evil Toby started raising his arms?
                      No you weren’t. I was like shoot that P90 already. Though not so much at poor Toby but more so when the Ood were cornering them there at the very end before it so cruelly cut to “to be continued”.

Man I hated to see that “to be continued” pop up. This was a great episode, and I’ll have no way to see the conclusion for quite some time.

So far I’ve only seen 3 eps with DT as the Doctor but I’m really loving him. Though he wasn’t quite featured much in this one, but the secondary actors were good, especially that guy that played Toby. That scene in his quarters was down right scary, and he played it so well.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Verry interesting ep. Could have done without the shippiness (the whole house discussion made me cringe) but I liked the rest.

I'm not as disappointed with the Ood as most seem to be. Sure, they're a bit predictible- so far- but I think they have a larger role to play than just as Legion. In fact, my first thought when the crew was describing them was, "Aha! So they're the ones who put the writing on the walls!" I'm probably entirely wrong about that, but if all they are is a biddable horde, I'll be very disappointed. I wanna see how they rise up (if you'll pardon a belated Discworld reference).

The only Stargate vibe I got off this ep was when Toby was in the corridor calling for "Daniel!" All the little "Danny"s before that went right over my head. I thought, "HA! An archaeologist who isn't named Daniel!" and then went on with watching. I knew Toby was in trouble as soon as they introduced him just 'cause he was the cutest one of the lot. *sigh*

There was an Alien sort of feel to it, but once they lit up that cavern, it was all Lovecraft and I was sure they were going to wake up Cthulhu. *shiver*

As for how they're going to get the TARDIS back... can anyone say, "Deal with the devil"?

Shooting Toby wouldn't have done any good, It would just have moved to a new host and all you'd have for your troubles is a dead Toby.

Comment

Gee, in my opinion, this was one of the best (ok, THE BEST!) DR. Who episodes.

Like someone said - the reference to Legion (King or religion) and H.P Lovecraft was (hell, even the tentacled Ood look like Chtulu ) .. um, very satisfying.

The acting (from the main villain) was great and omnious, it made a good package along with the thrilling music.

And let us not forget:

For how can man die better then facing fearful odds. For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods? Thomas Babington Macaulay (His writtings on Rome)

One more thing - I think (it`s a bit obscure sure) there was a bit of a homage to B5 (the Jefferson guy - Chief of Security very much reminded me of Garibaldi) - maybe it`s just a coinsidence.

Comment

one critisim of this episode, is that they couldnt afford bullets, there was no firing at all, just waving the gun (p-90) around.
                            but it was good, it does seem like the only reason they have 2 parters is that the doctor cannot escape in the Tardis. The age of steel the tardis was out of power, now its down a massive pit.
                            Hola

Hello

Comment

Originally posted by popseeka

One more thing - I think (it`s a bit obscure sure) there was a bit of a homage to B5 (the Jefferson guy - Chief of Security very much reminded me of Garibaldi) - maybe it`s just a coinsidence.

Physically he reminded me of Bill Nighy, which, really, is neither here nor there. Just who he reminded me of.
                              Thanks!
                              Jordan

my page
                              My LJ
                              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by BC - 303
                                one critisim of this episode, is that they couldnt afford bullets, there was no firing at all, just waving the gun (p-90) around.
                                but it was good, it does seem like the only reason they have 2 parters is that the doctor cannot escape in the Tardis. The age of steel the tardis was out of power, now its down a massive pit.
                                Oh come on, I'm sure the Beeb COULD afford bullets, but they didn't want to turn it into a shoot em up episode. I mean, really. How many times is there a fire fight in SG1? ANd how many times is it boring as hell. Bang Bang Bang, Zat Zat Zat, Bang Bang Bang. Its dull. The BBC focus more on plot and character, and hell... actual acting.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X