WANTED: News Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WANTED: News Writers

GateWorld is currently looking to add a few additional news writers to the team to ease the burden on our current work horses. News stories are front-and-center on the site's heavily trafficked home page, and thus some of the most-read items on the entire site. Additional writers will, quite simply, allow us to publish more news more frequently.

Are you an interested writer? The people we are looking for:
    ... are 18 years or older
    ... have formal training and/or professional experience with news writing (and thus know, for example, what an "inverted pyramid" is and how to use it)
    ... are super-duper Stargate fans, knowledgable about the series, its history, its cast, etc.
    ... spend regular time online seeking out or reading Stargate-related news items (in other words, this is a field you are already actively interested in)
    ... are self-motivated to track down news of interest to Stargate fans, not simply count on story assignments
    ... can write clean and concise copy on deadline that requires minimal or no editing before publication
    ... can contribute multiple stories per week (typically in the 200 to 400 word range)
    You'll get your work published at GateWorld.net and read by tens of thousands of readers, along with a byline on every story you contribute. While this position is currently volunteer and unpaid, we may be able to explore compensation down the road. Because of GateWorld's relationship with Stargate SG-1: The Official Magazine, there are also possibilities that your work may be reused there -- which would definitely include compensation.

Still interested? Please send a letter of introduction to Darren at [email protected], telling us a bit about yourself, your familiarity with Stargate and GateWorld, your writing education and related experience, and include a short writing sample. Thanks for your interest!
    Last edited by GateWorld; 30 September 2005, 01:35 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Email sent
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Oh the curse of being 17...to old to get a child's fare on public transport yet too young to drink and to do things like this

Darren - do you think you'll still be looking writers in November?
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

im 16

Comment

Sounds a kool job - shame I'm to busy with University to do this as it sounds great.

Just looked in the news section, lots of news stories and magazine articles are posted by morjana over there, I think this user would be a good news writer as they post alot of news already.

Also Qasim posts a few pieces of news as do others, so good luck to all who apply.

Comment

what do you mean with inverted pyramid?

Comment

The inverted pyramid is one where the bigger, more important news gets put at the beginning of the story, preferably with a who, what, how, why, when, where opening sentence in 20 words or less. As the story gets longer the less important news is written in. This is in case the story has to be cut off at some point. e.g. You're hired to write a 500 word story but the editor only has space for 300. If you've written the story in the inverted pyramid style then the story can be cut off at 300 words without losing any of the important news.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                The inverted pyramid is one where the bigger, more important news gets put at the beginning of the story, preferably with a who, what, how, why, when, where opening sentence in 20 words or less. As the story gets longer the less important news is written in. This is in case the story has to be cut off at some point. e.g. You're hired to write a 500 word story but the editor only has space for 300. If you've written the story in the inverted pyramid style then the story can be cut off at 300 words without losing any of the important news.
                thanks

Comment

I'm quite familar with webnews and things like that but what is this inverted pyramid?
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                    I'm quite familar with webnews and things like that but what is this inverted pyramid?
                    have you read this thread, I asked it and it got explained?

Comment

Oh, not all of it and thanks.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
                        Also Qasim posts a few pieces of news as do others, so good luck to all who apply.
                        I doubt I will get it as theres lots of people better than me but theres no harm in trying
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Indeed !! Do you get paid for it ! I would love to work for gateworld but I didn't had something like this in mind Besides that I am so busy I don't have time to sleep anymore ! This is my 2000 post !
                          Perhaps I could join the moderatoin team in here. I think it may necessary because there are so many members now and some aren't always online every day. So if you are looking for new mods I would like to volunteer.
                          Lord Zedd

Comment

No pay at the moment but maybe in the future
                            Originally posted by Darren
                            While this position is currently volunteer and unpaid, we may be able to explore compensation down the road.
                            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                              im 16
                              Likewise, ive also got html experience and i'd just like to update gateworld omnipedia.

Best Stargate quote:
                              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                              Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X