No announcement yet.

Out of Mind (222)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point of this one wasn't the clips, though. The point was Hathor kidnapping SG-1.

I have a fanfic based on this one in the works, from a different POV, and I don't even address any of the clip stuff in it -- just the "present-day" storyline.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
      The point of this one wasn't the clips, though. The point was Hathor kidnapping SG-1.
      A glorified clipshow then... still a clipshow.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

But the clips served a purpose. There's a whole forest there, why complain about the trees?

I guess that for me, it's only a "clipshow" if there is NOTHING but "Hey, here are highlights of this past season. See you next season/week/whatever!" Believe me, I'm old enough to remember shows like that from my childhood (end-of-season specials, Christmas specials, etc.), and I can tell you that SG-1 never did anything like that. Sure, there were clips, but they never did them as a standalone package. They were always meant to explain and advance the plot of whatever episode in which they were embedded. Granted, "Politics" did kind of a sloppy job of it, but "Out of Mind" had them as an integral device. I mean, how else were they supposed to convey that Hathor's minions were mining the memories of SG-1 for information? Television is a visual medium, so it isn't as if some random narrator can just step into the picture and explain it. And the fact that Hathor was gaining information from SG-1 was crucial to the plot and made it frightening because if suddenly one of the Goa'uld was going to know all that, then Earth was in greater danger.
        Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 03 June 2013, 08:00 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Since I'm not letting myself skip anything during my re-watch, the good thing about the clip show was that I could do other things while it was playing.

I hope none of the other season finales were as bad as this one, though.
          rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Is every season of SG-1 going to a clip show?

It really is the worst thing that any TV show does.

I know there is a purpose to the clips, but there is other ways - have actual dialogue of the characters recounting the adventures, not this laziness.

Comment

Not lazyiness. Cheapness. Its a way to save money for other episodes. And to answer your question, no. The next clip show is in S6 IIRC
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                I know there is a purpose to the clips, but there is other ways - have actual dialogue of the characters recounting the adventures, not this laziness.
                Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Not lazyiness. Cheapness. Its a way to save money for other episodes. And to answer your question, no. The next clip show is in S6 IIRC
                What he says.

The best clipshow, though, will always be Citizen Joe in season 8.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  What he says.

The best clipshow, though, will always be Citizen Joe in season 8.
                  I hate Citizen Joe. Such a boring episode Disclosure and Inauguration were good
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

That would be "Disclosure"?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      That would be "Disclosure"?
                      Look one post above yours
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I would say laziness - rather than write the dialogue, they put in clips.

And it is good to know that I have a few seasons to go before the next one. Cheers

Comment

I hate Citizen Joe. Such a boring episode Disclosure and Inauguration were good
                          I actually liked Disclosure, that was the one where Thor appears and startles everyone right?

I remember not really liking Citizen Joe, but I only watched it once. The best one to me was politics because it sets up the finale and builds off of There but for the grace of G-d.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                            I would say laziness - rather than write the dialogue, they put in clips.

And it is good to know that I have a few seasons to go before the next one. Cheers
                            Dialogue requires a cast and crew to pay. Clips does not require to pay anyone
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Dialogue requires a cast and crew to pay. Clips does not require to pay anyone
                              Maybe they were trying to make more room in the budget for the season finale. Special effects can be pricey.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                              "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                              a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

If there is the technology why not use it? It's sci-fi and we expect to be reminded of that fact as often as possible. Talking can be boring - clips are more than words. I like the clip shows.
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X