No announcement yet.

Did he have a Soul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The term "soul" has very different meanings, but the generic picture I get when I hear the word is an invisible orb that holds your personality in another dimension (which of course we know isn't true because we know personality is in the brain), but there are too many different definitions that it becomes impossible to definitely say.

I guess we'll just have to watch and find out
    SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
    SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
    ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
    Spoiler:
    *beep*
    Young: "What the hell was that?"
    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

No, Grandfather Nurgle answered his prayer and empowered him with undeath in exchange for his soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
        No, Grandfather Nurgle answered his prayer and empowered him with undeath in exchange for his soul.
        I have no idea who that is x_x, but I'm guessing you were joking.

Spoiler:
        *beep*
        Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Well, for me, soul is an immortal piece of God (ineffable, inconceivable, invisible, incomprehensible, ever-existing and eternally the same almighty maker of heaven and earth - as it was defined on the 4th century). But there is absolutely no sign that Caine meant something even close.

Comment

One way to look at it is everyone is a soul. The soul can not be visualised it is just an entity that defines who you are in this universe for eternity. Your physical body on Earth is just a container for your soul which lets you live and interact with the mortal world until you die.

If you were born as a baby, your physical brain is too small to retain all your memories you've accumulated over the 100000 years you've been existence, so there may be some intervention where by your memory is erased; a clean slate. And it's a never ending cycle of death and rebirth. As the world population increases past 6 billion, more souls would be required to fill the new population as we know it. My understanding is that they can come from animals and all living beings, just like evolution, they get upgraded. These 'rules' or whatever you want to call it, have existed long before the dawn of mankind. It's just human arrogance that puts man kind above all else.

And ascention could be the next step for your soul to finally lose the physical shell and be totally free.

Comment

Nope, no soul for Caine.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I just realised something.

If a Stargate takes your body, stores the data in the buffer and rebuilds your body at the other end, then how come a Stargate can keep the soul (unless everybody on board is soul-less) yet these advanced beings cannot?

Spoiler:
                *beep*

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post

If a Stargate takes your body, stores the data in the buffer and rebuilds your body at the other end, then how come a Stargate can keep the soul (unless everybody on board is soul-less) yet these advanced beings cannot?
                  Short answer: Dying is somewhat more destructive than being sent through a Stargate.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                    Short answer: Dying is somewhat more destructive than being sent through a Stargate.
                    But assuming Caine didn't die (he saw the light through the ship while he was still awake), and then lost his soul when they transported him. Oh iunno...

Spoiler:
                    *beep*

Comment

Word of Joe:
                      It was a phsyiological design flaw (or re-design flaw to be more specific) that caused them to die again. The lack of soul (or perception thereof) was a failure/byproduct of the process.
                      One could draw the following conclusion from having watched the episode – Caine and the others died on the planet (in Caine’s case, it was on the heels of witnessing the white light). The planet’s caretakers/creators discovered them too late and sought to remedy the situation by restoring them to full functionality and reuniting them with Destiny. However, while constructing planets is easy, resurrecting once living beings is not and this resulted in – for lack of a better way of putting it – each of the restored human beings having an expiry date. Eventually, the damage done caught up with their corporeal forms, resulting in all of their deaths – even Caine’s which took place offscreen.
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...pdate-mailbag/

tl;dr: Caine is dead.

Comment

Oh...

Well that was a sucky production choice, in my opinion. I thought he was still alive. Oh well, at least this answers a lot.
                        Thanks

Spoiler:
                        *beep*

Comment

Well, that brings up the question of whether the soul follows the body through the gate? If not that means all SG1 are soulless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post

is that really what happens when going through a wormhole?
                            What you've described sounds more like the star trekky transporter, but does a wormhole work in the same way or is it an actual physical connection between two places in space and "you" (or whatever) is sent through it whole and entire, showing up at the other end, no taking apart taking place?
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              What you've described sounds more like the star trekky transporter, but does a wormhole work in the same way or is it an actual physical connection between two places in space and "you" (or whatever) is sent through it whole and entire, showing up at the other end, no taking apart taking place?
                              More or less. A gate demartilizes matter into energy shoots that energy to the other gate and reconstruct you into matter.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                                Well I'm not 100% sure but that is what I was told on my thread here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post12105852

Spoiler:
                                *beep*

Comment

Working...
                                X