No announcement yet.

Caine's group - discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know much about survival skills. I'd probably be toast out in the wild.
    I live in a part of the world that gets very cold in the winter. From mid-Dec through
    Feb it's not uncommon to have minus 20-50F below temps with the windchill factor.
    I do know that you are in big trouble here without a good heatsource, i.e, furnace, generator, roaring fire, ect, here even in an enclosed house. The temp could drop to dangerous levels quickly. I've often discussed with hubby what the heck we would do if the power went out for a prolonged period of time, we do have a small generator that runs on gas, but you have to have that gas.(Our furnace is electic start/nat ural gas. Life would definetly be harsh here without modern technology. I have often wondered how people survived in this climate 200 years ago.
    If your car breaks down here in the winter and you can't keep it running somehow in intervals you could also get very cold it could be fatal over a certain period, you have to carry tons of blankets, ect. They(Caine,ect) had candles but not a good heat source, no working shuttle.

Comment

It was all Young's fault. He landed the damaged shuttle in that location.

regards,
      G.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post

regards,
        G.
        Errrrrrr werent they told that the shuttle was capable of atmospheric flight, just unable to leave the atmosphere of Eden. They could have taken it to a more favourable location. Being science guys and all I doubt they would have had a problem in flying it, I bet BAG would have been able to pilot it.
        Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post

regards,
          G.
          He should've flown there on the wings of imagination

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            Was the shuttle flyable at all, I don't remember?

If it was then fly to the other hemisphere where it's summer.
            ^This! BAG could have been paddling in Eden's equivalent of the Bahama's instead of becoming a slapheaded popsicle.
            Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

It's funny that a well educated group couldn't do the basics to survive the exposure. Way to much faith, interesting though. You can't live on faith alone, you have to work to live.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
                Errrrrrr werent they told that the shuttle was capable of atmospheric flight, just unable to leave the atmosphere of Eden. They could have taken it to a more favourable location. Being science guys and all I doubt they would have had a problem in flying it, I bet BAG would have been able to pilot it.
                Well, since it appears that none of them actually had any knowledge of how to fly the darn thing (Scott having to provide guidance), it doesn't really matter what kind of capability the shuttle had.

Maybe Young should have left them a copy of "Shuttle Piloting for Dummies"...

regards,
                G.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker View Post
                  It's funny that a well educated group couldn't do the basics to survive the exposure. Way to much faith, interesting though. You can't live on faith alone, you have to work to live.
                  +1

On topic:

Make more candles and just forgo the firewood or any of the vast amount of possible resources in the forest behind them. Who needs to stay warm when they've got books to read?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Ways that Caine & co. could have survived

Comment

Ways that Caine & co. could have survived, even for a little longer, if they weren't so completely and utterly incompetent:
                      • actually BUILD shelters
                      • not park the shuttle in the middle of a windswept field, but in a valley or behind a hill to shelter from the wind
                      • not park the shuttle with its open back door facing directly into the wind
                      • pull the shuttle door most of the way shut at night instead of relying on rags hanging in the doorway to block the wind
                      • kept a supply of firewood dry inside the shuttle
                      • huddled together for warmth instead of sitting all apart
                      • not listened to Caine in the first place
                      • not listened to a guy named Cain(e) on matters of religion

Your turn. Serious or for a laugh, whichever you please.
                      First use the knowledge and wisdom you have learned and move to a place near the middle of the planet where its hot and nice.

Second use the knowledge and learn the planets rotation and duration of winter/summer/fall/spring

Third - use the common sense and use trees to build a door, if they are to stupid use the snow to suround the shipsdoor leaving the smallest possible opening which then could be closed by the rags a lot better and keep them pretty hot.

Fouth use the better part of the first year spent there to build the houses seen when AJ where there with her baby.

Fifth - Use the intelligence that got me hired and put on the SGU secret base to repair the ships airduct so that closing the door didn´t mean no air - or close the door and make a small opening somewhere else that would allow air to come in, a place that didn´t mean the whole ship would be freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker View Post
                        Yep, but interesting that SGC/U hired them in the first place when their intelligence was so low they couldn´t even fix a shuttles airwent.

Comment

What the hell does education have to do with survival skills? I work at a military facility and I bet the majority of scientists here, some of whom have multiple PhD's, could barely survive a week out in the wild even in perfect weather, but the military personnel, some of whom haven't even gone to college, would have a much easier time surviving out in the wild.

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
                          Yep, but interesting that SGC/U hired them in the first place when their intelligence was so low they couldn´t even fix a shuttles airwent.
                          So you're saying they're not intelligent because they can't replicate Ancient power sources with no technology at their disposal?

Comment

First use the knowledge and wisdom you have learned and move to a place near the middle of the planet where its hot and nice.
                            The problem being that they chose their location because it was near the giant obelisk covered in alien writing. And they were left with a damaged shuttle with no trained pilots.

Third - use the common sense and use trees to build a door, if they are to stupid use the snow to suround the shipsdoor leaving the smallest possible opening which then could be closed by the rags a lot better and keep them pretty hot.
                            Also, according to Caine, they left the door "ajar", which according to Merriam-Webster, means "slightly open".

Fouth use the better part of the first year spent there to build the houses seen when AJ where there with her baby.
                            How do you even know they had that long they had before winter came?

Fifth - Use the intelligence that got me hired and put on the SGU secret base to repair the ships airduct so that closing the door didn´t mean no air - or close the door and make a small opening somewhere else that would allow air to come in, a place that didn´t mean the whole ship would be freezing.
                            How do you expect them to repair an Ancient ship with no technology? Even McKay always has his fancy computer with him that magically interfaces with any Ancient/Wraith computers.

Comment

Come on, if Scott can figure out how to fly a shuttle then BAG and Caine wouldnt have had much trouble deciphering the controls?!

Comment

• not listened to Caine in the first place
                                • not listened to a guy named Cain(e) on matters of religion
                                Oh, if I could only green you...

>Not naming the planet Eden.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X