No announcement yet.

Caine's group - discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking why those guys didn't build a better shelter would be like asking Adam and Eve why they didn't build a better shelter...they called the planet Eden for a reason!

Also, considering that they were a bunch of scientists, they probably spent all of their time studying the obelisk trying to learn how to communicate with the planet building aliens and didn't even think about building a decent shelter until the temperature started to drop.

Comment

easy get some of those trees that dude was chopping and stack it in front of the shuttle door, cut it down so it fits and use the left overs for firewood

since they were cold anyway and the snow was setting already they could of used the snow and made a wall to over the shuttle door with enough space to at the top for air and someone to come out and in.

they had water and fire so hot water would be there and while others were chopping wood and what not the others can look for food.

huddle together for warmth, they are scientist a little bit of friction causes heat ?? or even getting alittle jiggy with another would work
      sigpic

Comment

i think his body was soooo cold and fragile when he looked at the light and turned he broke his neck in the process.
        sigpic

Comment

I did not really understand why they had to leave the shuttle door open constantly. Sure, it's airtight, but that does not mean you suffocate immediately. They should have had at least a few hours worth of air, after which they could have opened the door briefly to let some fresh air in.

Or, like Ouroboros wrote, leave it open just enough for the air to circulate.
          sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

I'm freezing to death. What am i gonna do!? Gonna close the door so the -25º C wind wont reach me??? Nah. These frozen stiff figures all around me seams ratter warm, they stopped trembling. I'm gonna get their trousers, clothes? Nah.
            sigpic
            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I don't think people appreciate how hard it is to survive when you have pretty much nothing.

The mortality rate of the first European settlers to the Americas was very high despite being well prepared.

It seemed literally impossible for them to survive on Eden, even if they somehow managed to create a shelter that could keep them warm (which I very much doubt is even possible), they would have starved to death over winter.

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
                Asking why those guys didn't build a better shelter would be like asking Adam and Eve why they didn't build a better shelter...they called the planet Eden for a reason!

Also, considering that they were a bunch of scientists, they probably spent all of their time studying the obelisk trying to learn how to communicate with the planet building aliens and didn't even think about building a decent shelter until the temperature started to drop.
                Believe in God, but cover your own ass. Words to live by.

Even if they waited until it started snowing, it doesn't take all that long to put together a half decent shelter. Even less time because they're right next to a wooded area, AND even less time because they only need to cover the door rather than build a full on shelter.

Comment

Was the shuttle flyable at all, I don't remember?

If it was then fly to the other hemisphere where it's summer.

If not

-smash a hole in the windshield and light a fire under it at night, or unscrew a roof panel and do the same.

-leave the door open a crack instead of all the way

-cannibalism, Caine goes first

-actually bother to explore/try to gain entry into the monolith

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                    Believe in God, but cover your own ass. Words to live by.

Even if they waited until it started snowing, it doesn't take all that long to put together a half decent shelter. Even less time because they're right next to a wooded area, AND even less time because they only need to cover the door rather than build a full on shelter.
                    Go try and survive even for a week in -20C weather, you'll be dead before the week is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                      I don't think people appreciate how hard it is to survive when you have pretty much nothing.

The mortality rate of the first European settlers to the Americas was very high despite being well prepared.

It seemed literally impossible for them to survive on Eden, even if they somehow managed to create a shelter that could keep them warm (which I very much doubt is even possible), they would have starved to death over winter.
                      While I fully expected them to starve in the long run, I think most of us who cry foul at how they turned out is because they didn't seem to do any of the common sense things to try to make it work.

Nobody expects them to be dining on caviar and fois gras or sleeping in a 5 bedroom mansion, but when you have the wind blowing straight at your door, the common sense thing to do would have been to build something to deflect it; they had plenty of materials at hand, but they were relying on candles for warmth, etc etc.

Of all the things they chould have died of, exposure should be at the very bottom of the list, given how much warning they had that winter was coming.

Comment

Of all the things they chould have died of, exposure should be at the very bottom of the list, given how much warning they had that winter was coming.
                        Not true, exposure is what kills people, it takes a loooong time to die of starvation but in the process you become more and more susceptible to exposure.

Comment

Go try and survive even for a week in -20C weather, you'll be dead before the week is over.
                          Under similar conditions? An insulated shuttle, with at least a hatchet and an entrenching tool, next to a reasonably dense woodland with plenty of time knowing that winter was coming?

It wouldn't be fun, but more than possible.

Comment

Under similar conditions? An insulated shuttle, with at least a hatchet and an entrenching tool, next to a reasonably dense woodland with plenty of time knowing that winter was coming?

It wouldn't be fun, but more than possible.
                            I'm guessing you don't live anywhere that gets really cold, even well insulated modern housing doesn't always save people from exposure if they can't pay for heating.

Comment

I'm guessing you don't live anywhere that gets really cold, even well insulated modern housing doesn't always save people from exposure if they can't pay for heating.
                              This guessing game will only go downhill, so forgive me if I don't take the bait.

A few very simple builds and a little elbow grease in the prep phase would have saved them from freezing to death long enough get taken by some of the other methods, especially since they've got access to a somewhat better insulated shelter than a modern house.

Those folks were just stupid enough to let a massive draft through their main living area. A wind break outside of their door would have raised the internal temp of the shuttle by several degrees and taken away the wind chill factor. It would also create an area for them to build and maintain a fire.

How much work would that have taken? Depending on how elaborate they wanted the build, it could be done in a few hours, including the gathering of materials.

Comment

- Not stay there in the first place. I'm pretty sure it was in the backs of their minds all the time that they are making a fatal mistake, only they wanted to believe it so hard it clouded their instinct.

- sheltered the shuttle better, the snow suggestion is a good one, same thing with the door partly closed (though there would have to be a vent at the bottom for CO2 to flow out), possibly laying some trees and branches over it so it would have an extra layer of isolating air around,

- a little digging goes a long way, too, and - again - earth is good isolation,

- more firewood, more food. Especially the firewood. Then again, they might have simply done all they could have in that respect and it just wasn't possible to make it.

- Don't know about how they were organized. I think stronger leadership would've gone a long way.

But I'm still somewhat of the opinion that no matter what they did, they simply wouldn't have survived.

Comment

Working...
                                X