This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    Gave it a 7. Glad to see those stupid people who stayed behind got what they deserved.
    That's a bit hard, oh well.

I gave it a 9, this episode in a way is a game changer in itself. These planet builders are a very interesting mystery and I am looking forward to where this arc is going. It was also quite a sad episode.

Comment

I really liked this episode, I was totally absorbed in it from beginning to end. Packed with personal drama and set up things to come wonderfully.

This episode seemed to be another lesson in what is best for everyone, which is sticking together and forging the trust and cooperation that will foster hope. Seeing what happened to those that stayed behind on what was thought to be a paradise and a perceived easy way out, turned out to be anything but!

It was as if everyone's past lives were shed at this point, a few by a lingering sad death, and those on Destiny have shed their anger and frustration with their situation, finally facing the fact that the only way forward is by sticking together and working together.

A great move forward in a show that just gets better and better. A well deserved 9 for the deepening the mystery and giving me more food for thought!

Comment

I give it a solid 7, I like the episode and the ending was very interesting. Not my fave but still very cool hour of Stargate.
        sigpic

Comment

a nice solid 9
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I gave it a 9 - I loved the whole "walking dead" storyline, and there were several great interactions between characters that really worked for me. Wray and Young ("Me?" "Not so much any more" "Progress then.").

Also, Greer made me want to cry when he went to see Chloe to ask for her forgiveness. That interaction was beautiful - and I loved that Chloe's message to Matt included the line "Forgive Ronald".
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I gave it a 8 ,not the best episode, but still a nice story.
              sigpic

Comment

An 8,5/10 because it has been interesting though almost without action, it has set the problem of God, as a question, a doubt, a faith. I like the new collaborative situation; I hope this will bring more interesting episodes. I like the characteristics of this (probably) new race of the Obelisk. The problem for my tastes is the drift to Lost or BSG style (that I really don't like).

Comment

In the scene with Greer and Chloe, they acted it out very well, because it would be a bit awkward and emotional, but personally I would like to have seen more emotion in the scene. They acted it out perfectly, but that scene would be more emotional IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikec3 View Post
                    OK, this is something we can argue about... BTW, do you even know what sci-fi is?
                    AFAIK, Sc-Fi means Science Fiction, it is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology, often in a futuristic setting. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature.

So, if you place a cheap soap-opera on board of a space-ship that does not turn it into SciFi, IMHO.
                    Furthermore, imaginary aliens having god-like powers to reanimate dead people and teleport them to several galaxy distance without the use of any wormhole does not strike me something within the realm of scientific possibilities. The episode was loaded with superstition and could fit into fantasy, but not really SciFi.

Before you start arguing about the scientific possibilities of bringing back dead people, consider that the lady killed by the tree has been dead for months (she died before winter arrived to Eden). Bringing back someone few minutes after clinical death is possible, those who froze to death might be explained away by hybernation effects, but the fallen tree victim is a no-go.

So, please tell me other than the location of the show (the Destiny spaceship) and the reanimated people who got teleported from galaxies away, what else would you consider SciFi in this particular episode ?

Comment

Originally posted by zsozso View Post
                      AFAIK, Sc-Fi means Science Fiction, it is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology, often in a futuristic setting. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature.
                      Umm...I hope you realise that the above definition, while correct in itself, is the definition of only one of many aspects of sci-fi (so-called classic sci-fi). So basically you ignore the development of science fiction of the last 40 years (since New Wave appearing in the late 60s/early70s). Bravo.

PS. By that definition SG-1/SGA aren't sci-fi either.

So, if you place a cheap soap-opera on board of a space-ship that does not turn it into SciFi, IMHO.
                      Furthermore, imaginary aliens having god-like powers to reanimate dead people and teleport them to several galaxy distance without the use of any wormhole does not strike me something within the realm of scientific possibilities. The episode was loaded with superstition and could fit into fantasy, but not really SciFi.

Before you start arguing about the scientific possibilities of bringing back dead people...
                      Why would anybody argue about that? You yourself made your argument invalid by stating that wormholes capable of transporting people are scientifically possible. Bringing back dead people isn't any more in the realm of fantasy than said wormholes.

So, please tell me other than the location of the show (the Destiny spaceship) and the reanimated people who got teleported from galaxies away, what else would you consider SciFi in this particular episode ?
                      Alien ship influencing TJ's memories?
                      Chloe's transformation into an alien?
                      Alien shuttle?
                      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Before you start arguing about the scientific possibilities of bringing back dead people, consider that the lady killed by the tree has been dead for months (she died before winter arrived to Eden). Bringing back someone few minutes after clinical death is possible, those who froze to death might be explained away by hybernation effects, but the fallen tree victim is a no-go.

Shorter version: so, aside from all the science fiction that's happening on the show, tell me about the science fiction

okay, to play along - Caine and Rush discussing whether the 'message' is form "god" or something else, just for one. I could name the ramifications of coming into contact with alien beings (Chloe), or the possibility that the Destiny has projected an image into the mind of one of the crew in order to soothe her hurt (TJ), or even the ramifications of using a shuttle recreated by beings whose intent you have no idea of, but I have the feeling that no matter what is offered, aside from the pure sci-fi setting of the show in the first place, that you will find a way to dismiss that as well.

Really, if you think the show is a "cheap soap-opera", we're going to have to agree to disagree and I very much disagree but one thing goes without question is that SGU is definitely science fiction. It may not be sci-fi that you like but it most definitely is sci-fi.

ETA:
                        *lol, Petra, we're going to have to stop sharing a brain at some point!*
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                          PS. By that definition SG-1/SGA aren't sci-fi either.

Why would anybody argue about that? You yourself made your argument invalid by stating that wormholes capable of transporting people are scientifically possible. Bringing back dead people isn't any more in the realm of fantasy than said wormholes.
                          You forgot the "within the context of the story" part. The whole Stargate franchise is based on the idea that such wormholes are possible. So We accepted that stretch of science already.

Alien ship influencing TJ's memories?
                          I must have missed that part in this episode...
                          In my recollection that happened earlier...

Chloe's transformation into an alien?
                          Again, practically nothing happened in that story-arc within this episode either. The transformation started earlier, did not complete or even advanced significantly in this episode. All we got is some emotional drama between Chloe, Greer, Scott etc. how they deal with the change. Which was pretty much soap-opera material.

Alien shuttle?
                          What about it ?
                          The shuttle was already used many times before. We did not get to see any new aspect of it in this episode. No action of the shuttle either. All we got is: "hey it is back in brand new condition, yaaay!"

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          Shorter version: so, aside from all the science fiction that's happening on the show, tell me about the science fiction
                          I think you misunderstood my criticism, it was not directed at the SGU show in general, but for this particular filler episode. Sure, Destiny and the whole setup and environment is SciFi. But, this episode did not advance any of the environment or background SciFi setting. Hence my "soap opera in a space-ship" reference.

okay, to play along - Caine and Rush discussing whether the 'message' is form "god" or something else, just for one.
                          OK, this one would almost cut it, but unfortunately, Rush has failed to bring in any real SciFi explanation, just some hand wave and say that he did not think it is God. So I see that point as a missed opportunity for good SciFi content. Hopefully it will be picked up and expanded in a later episode and we actually get some SciFi out of it.

I could name the ramifications of coming into contact with alien beings (Chloe), or the possibility that the Destiny has projected an image into the mind of one of the crew in order to soothe her hurt (TJ), or even the ramifications of using a shuttle recreated by beings whose intent you have no idea of, but I have the feeling that no matter what is offered, aside from the pure sci-fi setting of the show in the first place, that you will find a way to dismiss that as well.
                          See my point about these above.

Really, if you think the show is a "cheap soap-opera", we're going to have to agree to disagree and I very much disagree but one thing goes without question is that SGU is definitely science fiction. It may not be sci-fi that you like but it most definitely is sci-fi.
                          As I mentioned above, I am not saying SGU as a whole is not SciFi. It is very much SciFi and I like it, too. Not as much as I liked SG1/SGA or BSG, but I still like it.
                          I am simply disappointed by this particular episode, I consider it a cheap throw-away filler.
                          Sure, other shows have these kind of episodes too, but that does not mean we have to love them and cheer for them. The previous 2 episodes were much better. Let's hope we get real SciFi tonight again.

Comment

You forgot the "within the context of the story" part. The whole Stargate franchise is based on the idea that such wormholes are possible. So We accepted that stretch of science already.
                            I'm sorry, but no matter how I look at it, your logic is faulty and, well, illogical. If you accept that wormholes work "in the context of the story" you also have to accept that bringing people back from dead works in the context of the story (sarcophagi, ascension/descension, in some cases even drowning) and that god-like aliens exist and work in the context of the story (the Ancients in SG-1). They are no less important part of the franchise than the wormholes.

I must have missed that part in this episode...
                            In my recollection that happened earlier...
                            How is a continuation of a sci-fi thread no longer sci-fi? In previous episodes we learnt of several theories on what happened with TJ's baby, Visitation revealed which one is correct. How can it not be sci-fi?

Again, practically nothing happened in that story-arc within this episode either. The transformation started earlier, did not complete or even advanced significantly in this episode. All we got is some emotional drama between Chloe, Greer, Scott etc. how they deal with the change. Which was pretty much soap-opera material.
                            I'm completely at a loss as to how can you say that further development of Chloe's transformation means "nothing happened". You get to see physical changes, you get to see and hear from several characters about psychological/mental changes, you get to see Chloe saying goodbye because she feels the end is near - all of which constitutes "significant advancement" in my book - and it's soap opera? Oookay...

What about it ?
                            The shuttle was already used many times before. We did not get to see any new aspect of it in this episode. No action of the shuttle either. All we got is: "hey it is back in brand new condition, yaaay!"
                            Are alien shuttles common feature in soap operas?

Anyway, whatever floats your boat. I won't argue about it any more. Cheers.
                            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

In my opinion the sci-fi is more an environment (a setting; in italian it would be 'una ambientazione') than a genre. It could be remembered 'Alien' (horror genre) or 'Blade Runner' (thriller genre). So it's possible introduce in it elements of the thriller or of the horror or of the situation comedy etc.. I dislike these three genres, but IMO, it's possible introducing them in the sci-fi setting; then I will not watch them, but in fact there are various examples of this, for example, in Syfi channel.

Comment

I gave this episode a 4, it had some big shoes to fill coming right after malice and it failed to fill them, this episode has a snooze factor of 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X