This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wingsabre View Post
    So for everyone else who didn't make it back to Earth, I think either three things happened. They either all died, they time traveled into the very far past where ancients were building the Destiny, and somehow would have played a role in the future episodes (if there was going to be), or the unlikely scenario that they traveled to Earth in the future.
    Man would that suck. "Yeah just talked to Stargate Command and apparently we're all home already......so...ummmm yeah...."

Comment

Another fantastic episode. Burn in the pits of a star, Syfylis executives.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

TJ: "....like Dr Jackson and Col Carter and uh....whats that guys name who kept looking at your...."

James: "Uh..McKay(!)"

(Possibly shows that McKay has been abaord, unless he saw her before they left for Destiny)

Comment

Did anyone else get chills when they showed damaged Destiny

Comment

technically the wormhole would be able to end up anywhere at anytime

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              The only thing that is strange to me is how people should care so much about the background radiation mission. It would be better if the characters, and we as viewers, knew a little bit more about it so the goal is a bit more focused. Otherwise fun episode.
              I 100% agree with you. I can't believe that I can't even find a recently updated thread dedicated to talking about "the mission". Destiny has been on this "mission" for god knows how long, millions of years? So what are the chances that it is going to achieve any tangible results within any of the characters' lifetimes? And really, their presence on the ship shouldn't make any difference with regards to the mission other than to witness results if at some point Destiny miraculously decides it now has enough data to print out the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

We as viewers have been given no reason to think that this mission is something that can be practically cared about by these characters. It's like saying: we could learn something really great about the earth when two of the tectonic plates move another couple miles apart. Does that mean that any rational scientist is going to spend their life on a small deserted island waiting for this to happen? No. It's just something we can't find an answer to in the period of our own life.

Overall I thought it was a decent episode. I liked how it had the first season feel of questioning Rush's motivations. It wrenched at my heartstrings when Eli chose to stay behind on Destiny. Unfortunately, I'm more interested in talking about things I question and/or wish were different:

I wish they'd mentioned Eli's algorithm in a previous episode so we and the crew could have anticipated a much desired return to earth instead of it just coming out of nowhere.

Also, as much as I love multiple copies of a character in the same scene, I hate it that it is 100% given that there will be some contrived way to get rid of the copy by the end of the episode (is this case the writers killed two birds with one stone by creating a murder-suicide for the two extras). SG-1's Tin Man and its sequel irritated me for the same reason. I think it would have been much more interesting if they'd kept band-aid Rush instead of "our" Rush, though, since band-aid Rush had experienced this huge traumatic event that our Rush hadn't.

I think another reason why the episode feels a little contrived on reflection, though I didn't think of it while watching, is that this is at least the 2nd time that the crew of Destiny has prevented everyone dying by being warned by a future version of themselves all dying. That can get old really fast.

Finally, I can't justify why band-aid Rush committed suicide. So he's guilty of manslaughter? They are not going to carry out the death penalty on him back on Destiny, and they are not just going to lock him in a compartment for the rest of his life when he's so useful. For god's sake, numerous crimes all the way up to attempted murder have been carried out by various people on Destiny with few to zero long-term consequences. Just seemed like a a stupid contrivance to get one of the Rushes out of the picture because the writers wanted to use the plot but couldn't quite come up with a plausible way to wrap it up.
              Last edited by sparklegem; 15 March 2011, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Original Source: MGM

Stargate Universe Video Featurette: Twin Destinies "Twice The Work"

Robert Carlyle gives and inside look at the twinning process for the SGU episode "Twin Destinies".

Blog Twitter

Comment

Just watched it...
                  Wow can't believe I fell asleep waiting for this episode
                  Another awesome episode of the series ... .. . cancelled!

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                    no idea on the suits either. they never outright mentioned them but at the same time i cant believe that they WOULDNT have grabbed them when given the chance.

i'm not sure it was the actual act of dialing the 9th chevron from inside a star that caused it but an unpredictable solar flare at the exact moment that destiny dialed earth that got them. Man, i need to rewatch this one lol
                    There were more people running around then there were camera shots of what they would be grabbing. Somebody will have grabbed whatever they will need, suits included. Now they can move on from the shortage mode and kick some butt again. I like it better that way.

Unless the skin on Destiny is self regenerating they are still going to need outside parts. I didn't see anyone get that assignment. Oops?

Comment

Okay reading this thread, I am completly confused about what happen in the episode guest I will have to wait for it to come down the pipes.

Comment

Oh my dear lord. What an awesome episode!! I love this show so much. I think it would've been interesting to have the ATL!Rush survive and ours sit in the chair.

8 to go.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                          I think it would've been interesting to have the ATL!Rush survive and ours sit in the chair.
                          I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                            Did anyone else get chills when they showed damaged Destiny
                            Absolutely!
                            sigpic

Comment

Cheap episode to get spare parts, but we have seen it before with Atlantis. Altough overal I liked the episode, was interesting to see if it was possible to dial Earth from Destiny.

Like said above it is always the same when you get a copy of somebody one of them has to die. At the end when Young said you must be pleased about one thing, I bet Rush thought of Telford being dead. Anybody has an idea why Rush lies about his other reality version,why he didn't tell he sat in the chair?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DB10 View Post
                                Cheap episode to get spare parts, but we have seen it before with Atlantis.
                                What do you mean by 'cheap'? It fit the story very well, imo.

Altough overal I liked the episode, was interesting to see if it was possible to dial Earth from Destiny.
                                Indeed. Several fans suggested this as possible series finale scenario - others gate home and Rush stays behind. Now we saw how it got played out.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X