X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
    Finally, meat!

Still wish they hadn't cut out TJ flashbacks. All in all, decent episode. Not one of the best, but definitely not the worst one. Really, don't feel mentioning anything else.

4 to go. *kicks someone*
    Do we know what was happening in the flashbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
      Do we know what was happening in the flashbacks?
      Insight into TJ's past, I believe they casted people for young TJ and some of her family members. Hopefully they'll be included to the SGU DVD/BR set.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
        The whole Volker/Park thing felt a bit like it came out of nowhere
        I feel like I have to disagree with this point, they have been building this up slowly all season. We especially saw it during "Malice" when Simeon takes Park and Volker can't do anything about it - he is incredibly upset, and we see him having a tough time dealing with the fact that he couldn't save her when she returns to Destiny.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

The whole episode was ridiculous.
          • How many people died trying to save 2 people?
          • You telling me that a system being overridden somewhere doesn't have an indicator it is being overridden?
          • Why are they still exploring the ship. Doesn't it have a diagram in it's database what where is.

The only thing that is conveniently holding Eli back is his knowledge of the Ancient language.

Pretty far fetched but prehistoric stole fire from the gods. It knew fire but did not know to make it. Later man learned to make fire. To other prehistoric who did not know it whould seem godlike.
          Maybe this is how the creature knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
            I imagine that he decided he wanted to go mess with the stasis stuff out of spite for Rush, so when his spiteful decision bit him in the ass, his first thought was like "oh crap what have I done?" not reasoning that perhaps he's being messed with, even though he has no reason to think that Rush knows he's there. Also, I got the impression that it was a little while after Rush activated the stasis chamber that he radioed him, rather than right away.
            If he knows he didn't push a button to close the door, and he knows the other guy didn't push a button, seems to me he might, at the very least, call the control room to see if someone up there pushed a button. Oh but we're supposed to just think he's in the "oh crap" mode and doesn't have a giant brain.

The impression that I got, which seems to me to be what they intended, is that the stuff in that boring storage room was just more boring machinery that they've seen plenty of for the past 6 or so months since they came onboard. Why would they be interested in looking through boring boxes, when there's a big, shiny room of excitement around the corner, especially given the point of that plot?
            More boring machinery, even though they didn't open any of them(except the one that eli started to look into) ?
            How in the world would they know what's in them without opening them? Ship manifest(oh but wait, that would require someone writing a line of dialog like "we'll look at the ship manifest" which never happens in this show).

I felt that that plot flowed correctly. I believe that they viewed fire as a sign of intelligence because it was something they are familiar with, rather than scary boom-sticks.
            How about flash lights then instead of boomsticks? Surely these creatures with mastery over light would seem intelligent to the creatures?

Well, he's pretty old, so I imagine he knows quite a bit about a lot of things other than science. Also, he was married. Also, he seemed to speak from experience, despite his condescending tone.
            He had one wife, doesn't make him a ladies man. The speech just seemed dumb coming from him, imo.

Originally posted by Stealth01 View Post
            Actually, both Eli and Brody were pushing buttons. You can hear the multiple sound effects.
            Yet they both clearly knew that they didn't push a close button.

He asks Eli why he isn't in the control interface room, because Eli & Brody are supposed to be running diagnostics.
            If I sit down in a chair at work and it magically falls apart cause someone removed the screws.....and then half an hour later someone walks up to me in the break room at work and says hey man, why aren't ya sittin at your desk(or something similar) it rings a bell in my mind that something is up. Guess that's just me.

I got the impression that Rush started the stasis process, certainly he was the one who deactivated it. I'm not entirely sure that's the case that it was intentional, if he initiated it. For starters, how would he know Eli and Brody went back there, and that Brody was in that pod?
            He was looking at the screen, it clearly indicated to hiim someone was down there, so of course rush knew the only people who could be there would be the 2 other people who knew about the room. I don't know if the statis pod had sensors or what, but it clearly signalled something to him.

Seems like you missed the duality of that speech. Rush was also talking about himself. Whether what he was saying actually applied to Volker or not wasn't the point so much as Rush is bitter over what happened last episode.
            No, I got it, just the speech felt like it came from the wrong person.

Originally posted by zainea13 View Post
            Ok, the creature probably didn't understand advanced tools like guns, clothes it probably thought was color variation in skin, explosions are thunder... Fire in a cave and contained. Easily recognizable to primitively itnelligent beings because fire is primitive itself.
            Ok, so ignore the guns, clothes, etc....but flash lights? Light in a contained space directed wherever the creature holding it wants....?
            I gotta imagine even if the creature shrugged off the other stuff as skin/thunder, that a freaking flashlight would seem pretty intelligent/magical to it.

How do stasis pod's put a man's life in jeopardy? He wasn't knocking Eli down, he was teaching him that sometimes things go wrong when you don't know enough about something.
            Suddenly rush knows everything about stasis pods and the risks involved? Surely there's lots of way for going into a pod to end badly.

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
            The whole episode was ridiculous.[*]You telling me that a system being overridden somewhere doesn't have an indicator it is being overridden?
            I guess not on a ship as advanced as Destiny.....lol

[*]Why are they still exploring the ship. Doesn't it have a diagram in it's database what where is.
            Not on a ship as advanced as Destiny, or so it would seem.....rofl

The only thing that is conveniently holding Eli back is his knowledge of the Ancient language.
            Which in 10+ months you'd think he'd have learned by now.

Again I'd like to reiterate that overall i liked this episode more than last week's, but man some stuff still just bugged me.
            Last edited by LeonK; 12 April 2011, 09:37 PM. Reason: mis quoted

Comment

Their only medical officer is more important than 6 redshirts
              Yeah, really. I think some people have forgotten that they don't have a doctor on the ship.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I think when Rush said "gathered some valuable data" about the stasis pods, he was more referring to the fact that he taught a lesson to Eli and Brody. And I don't think he was trying to pull a prank or be mean either, he knew they wouldn't listen, and they would do what they want. He just wanted to show them that sometimes bad things happen when you don't know anything about it.

And yes, it bothers me how many people died and nothing was said about it.
                TJ did say something to Varro.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                  TJ did say something to Varro.
                  True...but more should've been said or done.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok, the creature probably didn't understand advanced tools like guns, clothes it probably thought was color variation in skin, explosions are thunder... Fire in a cave and contained. Easily recognizable to primitively itnelligent beings because fire is primitive itself.

How do stasis pod's put a man's life in jeopardy? He wasn't knocking Eli down, he was teaching him that sometimes things go wrong when you don't know enough about something.
                    I dont know about anyone else, But if I see a rabbit near a fire, I think, 'There's a rabbit close to a fire'. If I see a rabbit wearing clothes, carrying a weapon, and setting explosives while planning an attack with it's friends, I think 'That's a pretty smart rabbit'.

And the questions is , how -don't- stasis pods put someone life in danger? Their entire function is to stop your life until it starts it back up again. Key word is 'stop'.

Why does Eli need to be taught a lesson about caution? This is the same Eli that had to lock up his girlfriend in a computer because RUSH wasn't cautious. They're on Destiny in the first place because RUSH decided to dial the ship when they didnt have all the information. Eli isnt the one who needs to be taught a lesson about caution, And Rush is the last person to be teaching anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                      Now... <snipped because it just seemed wasteful to repost the whole thing when you've probably already read it>
                      What he said. Word for word. It's disturbing how close to my thoughts his words were, in fact.

I rated this one a 7. The lowest I've given in 36 eps.

*sad face*
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                        Overall, decent I suppose, and nothing really to gripe about. Common Descent next episode looks to be fairly interesting at least, giving me an off-world episode that I will like to watch. There are two possibilities: The folks that left the ship in Twin Destinies were sent to the past on another world, or those Faith aliens made a new planet with new humans to study. However, the former seems a bit more likely judging by the promo and the episode title.

Spoilers!!! Please speculate in another thread!

Comment

Originally posted by gravityStar View Post

Spoilers!!! Please speculate in another thread!
                          Spoilers aren't needed for speculation.
                          sigpic

Comment

I thought it was an interesting episode. In the past few episodes they've been focusing a bit on what makes Greer tick. He may, in fact, be one of the more underrated characters on the show too.

*I'm glad that hey didn't really portray TJ as a damsel in distress.

*The Eli Brody sub plot added a touch of humor which was lacking many of the earlier episodes.
                            Spoiler:
                            I thought the ending was kind of derivative of that SG-1 episode where we met Chaka.

*Dale Volker is headed to "The Friends Zone."

*Is Wray on vacation or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post

I'm glad that hey didn't really portray TJ as a damsel in distress.
                              Yes! I was worried at the start when they said she'd been taken, but it turned out to be pretty much the opposite of that. A very nice change.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                                Unless it is a main character are they really going to make a big deal? How many times in SG1 and SGA did people die and everyone just got on with their business. I get that they all live together and it is traumatic, but they won;t bother putting that in every episode or else everyone would just be constantly doing no work and mourning. In SG1 and SGA there were occasional episodes where they would make some kind of deal about death, but really not often.
                                But that's the thing. This isn't SG-1 or Atlantis. This is SGU, this is supposed to be different and to an extent, more realistic. And they did make a deal about deaths earlier on. When Gorman died, there was a huge deal about it. Hell, when Rivers was killed, everyone on board was sad about it. But now when people die, no one really cares and just goes on laughing and cracking jokes. To me, that's the writers getting lazy and not really caring anymore.

It just completely makes no sense to me why they'd make River's death such a big deal when the guy had two appearances and one line, while Marsden's been in far more episodes with much more lines, and no one mentions a thing about his death. It's just inconsistent and lazy on the writer's end.

And also, a big reason why they really need to emphasize these losses more, is because unlike the previous two shows, there IS a crew count, and a few small one at that. The show started off with 80+ people, they added around 9 Lucian Alliance crew later on, but since then, they've lost by my count, around two dozen people already. Two dozen out of 80 is a lot of people, and they can't just keep killing more crew members without displaying any sort of reprecussions or man shortages on board. They've already lost 7 marines and I can't imagine they've got much more left. They've got to start showing how all this attrition is effecting both moral and crew duties on board.
                                These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                                X