Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it not be kind of pointless to go home using the Destiny ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if we go 20 years in either direction and Destiny has been traveling for 5 million years we'll be .0004% closer or further away. The energy requirement difference is negligible.

That being said it makes sense they should stay on Destiny's original mission and hope they find a power source along the way or discover a link between solving the original mission and getting home. Also, we have enemies behind us.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
      Well if we go 20 years in either direction and Destiny has been traveling for 5 million years we'll be .0004% closer or further away. The energy requirement difference is negligible.

That being said it makes sense they should stay on Destiny's original mission and hope they find a power source along the way or discover a link between solving the original mission and getting home. Also, we have enemies behind us.
      We don't know how far Destiny has traveled except it in the millions and control of the bridge means we don't have to continously drop out of FTL like Desting originally did. Yes I understand it would be a small difference but who is to the small wouldn't be enough
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        We don't know how far Destiny has traveled except it in the millions and control of the bridge means we don't have to continously drop out of FTL like Desting originally did. Yes I understand it would be a small difference but who is to the small wouldn't be enough
        I got the impression that Destiny's power storage capacity is insufficient by a rather large margin. Even if we assume a power requirement drop of 1% (which is a lot, considering the distance), I don't see how Destiny could store enough power to dial back to Earth.
        sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
          I got the impression that Destiny's power storage capacity is insufficient by a rather large margin. Even if we assume a power requirement drop of 1% (which is a lot, considering the distance), I don't see how Destiny could store enough power to dial back to Earth.
          Destiny could not but considering how in Awakening used an external power source its possible if something was found
          Jelgate is right

Comment

OK, so lets assume with minimal stops for food and recharging the ships batteries and a more efficient route back to Earth they could triple or quadruple the distance Destiny covers per year. After 20 years we're about .0012-.0016% closer than we are now. Is getting that much closer to Earth worth closing the door on completing Destiny's mission or finding something new moving forward that could get us home?

I still agree that turning around is not only pointless but foolish.

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
            Destiny could not but considering how in Awakening used an external power source its possible if something was found
            I agree with JEL on this point and think it is the best option to get home.
            sigpic

Comment

OK, so lets assume with minimal stops for food and recharging the ships batteries and a more efficient route back to Earth they could triple or quadruple the distance Destiny covers per year. After 20 years we're about .0012-.0016% closer than we are now. Is getting that much closer to Earth worth closing the door on completing Destiny's mission or finding something new moving forward that could get us home?

I still agree that turning around is not only pointless but foolish.

I agree with JEL on this point and think it is the best option to get home.
              Anything is possible. Who knows what is behind us or what is in front of us. If the primary mission is to get home (its not) then going back is more reasonable. Smaller distance means less energy needed.
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Anything is possible. Who knows what is behind us or what is in front of us. If the primary mission is to get home (its not) then going back is more reasonable. Smaller distance means less energy needed.
                You think if we find a big enough energy source that being less than 1/10000th of the way home (after 20+ years) closer or further is going to make a difference? It seems like a less than wise reason to turn around, but that is less energy...I just don't see why that insignificant amount matters unless there is some other reason to head backwards.

Now that we have access to the Ancient database we should know everything that lies behind us so unless we see something within a reasonable distance behind us that will help us get home I really don't see what the point of turning around is...not mentioning the Blue Aliens that want to kill us.
                sigpic

Comment

You think if we find a big enough energy source that being less than 1/10000th of the way home (after 20+ years) closer or further is going to make a difference? It seems like a less than wise reason to turn around, but that is less energy...I just don't see why that insignificant amount matters unless there is some other reason to head backwards.

Now that we have access to the Ancient database we should know everything that lies behind us so unless we see something within a reasonable distance behind us that will help us get home I really don't see what the point of turning around is...not mentioning the Blue Aliens that want to kill us.
                  Since either direction is largly unknown it makes more sense while small to get closer to your destination versus going farther. You're just going to increase the energy needed.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

they don't actually need to dial "earth". they could dial some other place in the milky way. if that's too far away they could dial some other place in the pegasus galaxy. if that's too far away they could dial any number of planets which were seeded by the destiny project way back that are much closer to our galaxy constellation even if still quite distant from it (earth could scout for a suitable planet using malps from their side combined with destiny's database or even physical exploration through earth's upgraded space vessels) then they would simply need to wait it out for a couple of months/years until earth can send along a pick up (again either in the form of a stargate call or an actual space vessel). In short 0.004% or whatever distance is NOT the issue (imo).

and that's of course not even mentionning the apparantly not so insignificant problem of getting Destiny to override its computerized decision making
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                      they don't actually need to dial "earth". they could dial some other place in the milky way. if that's too far away they could dial some other place in the pegasus galaxy. if that's too far away they could dial any number of planets which were seeded by the destiny project way back that are much closer to our galaxy constellation even if still quite distant from it (earth could scout for a suitable planet using malps from their side combined with destiny's database or even physical exploration through earth's upgraded space vessels) then they would simply need to wait it out for a couple of months/years until earth can send along a pick up (again either in the form of a stargate call or an actual space vessel). In short 0.004% or whatever distance is NOT the issue (imo).

and that's of course not even mentionning the apparantly not so insignificant problem of getting Destiny to override its computerized decision making
                      Dialing either the Milky Way or Pegasus, no matter which gate you pick, is a negligible difference. Though a poor analogy, it's like me asking you to count a box of peanuts by hand, and when you complain that's a lot of peanuts, I take away two and claim that's better.

Dialing to a gate at the upmost reach of their gate would still leave them a good billion or so light-years away from Earth. That would take years for an Earth vessel to reach, and would still be well beyond the reach of any Milky Way Stargate.

Comment

Since either direction is largly unknown it makes more sense while small to get closer to your destination versus going farther. You're just going to increase the energy needed.
                        We actually have a decent bit of sensor readings and kino data from planets and such behind us (way more than ahead) and I'll just site all my previous posts about the energy requirement differential as a complete non-factor.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                          Dialing either the Milky Way or Pegasus, no matter which gate you pick, is a negligible difference. Though a poor analogy, it's like me asking you to count a box of peanuts by hand, and when you complain that's a lot of peanuts, I take away two and claim that's better.

Dialing to a gate at the upmost reach of their gate would still leave them a good billion or so light-years away from Earth. That would take years for an Earth vessel to reach, and would still be well beyond the reach of any Milky Way Stargate.
                          Plus we already know the destiny gates are short range. so even if we do make it back to the blues galaxy, we could at most planet hop on the route back if only there are other gates in range. Then what? How would we go from the "Blues galaxy to the other one"?

Comment

Working...
                          X