"Structure" in the background radiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pipi View Post
    From SG1 there is a creature that exists but can't be seen, so they had to use special detector and blast guns; and also there was an episode where these giant bugs appeared on Earth but they were non corporeal, apparently they have been there since the dawn of time. So many mysteries to choose from.
    Those bugs were from another dimension, and had always been on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cylykon View Post
      The CMB contains small thermal variations, generated by quantum fluctuations of matter in a very tiny space, expanded to universe sized proportions by inflation. The writers' idea that it may represent intelligence is pure, unadulterated fantasy since the photons that are the CMB are visible only because the universe cooled enough for stable atoms of hydrogen to form. There is NOTHING for Destiny to find. It's just a "snapshot" that shows all the intelligence of quantum brownian motion.
      Yes, that is what we think it is based on the observations we've accrued.

But the show's premise with that is that, if our instruments were bettered, we'd detect this structure. It's beyond what we can refute with what we have in the real world. As for what Destiny is trying to find - that was left vague in the episode.

Like Brannon and Braga's Future Guy on Enterprise, or RDM's Cylons who "Had A Plan" for three seasons, Mallozzi's writers talked the talk, but ultimately couldn't walk the walk. We're just gonna get a lot more speculative Faith Planet aliens ambiguous bullsh!t, more "I miss my mommy" stones stores, and more irrational and inexplicable "evil Lucian Alliance dudes allowed to roam free in order to create dramatic tension".
      The writers know how the show is going to end.

Comment

The whole concept of what was said is mind-boggling to me. What are they saying that the universe is constructed? Well maybe... maybe the universe is just a drop of something bigger. Maybe we are bacteria for something else who knows.

But creating ships that are going to take millions of years to get to place which in a millions years you could reach easier is just ludacris. Why not wait till you get better tech or evolve to a state where time/space mathers little. What do you think we will become if we don't manage to blow our selfs up?

To me it feels like a Rush fabrication because i see no logic in the Ancients undertaking such an expedition. Why ping-pong all over the galaxy instead of putting the **** on auto-pilot only to stop to refuel and take the shortest route.

Comment

It not about getting to the destination fast, it's about being able to pick up the pieces along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Yes, that is what we think it is based on the observations we've accrued.

But the show's premise with that is that, if our instruments were bettered, we'd detect this structure. It's beyond what we can refute with what we have in the real world. As for what Destiny is trying to find - that was left vague in the episode.
            That "structure" was created before even stable hydrogen atoms formed and fills the entire universe. Whatever Destiny is looking for, isn't going to be made out of matter and "findable" because it would be EVERYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE. It would be akin to the speculatively ambiguous Faith Planet "aliens/supreme beings".

The writers know how the show is going to end.
            I was referring the "reveal" being a "let down" after all the "build up". The "check" that Mallozzi wrote, "bounced".

Comment

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
              To me it feels like a Rush fabrication because i see no logic in the Ancients undertaking such an expedition. Why ping-pong all over the galaxy instead of putting the ship on auto-pilot only to stop to refuel and take the shortest route.
              It would certainly be more believable and more compelling if it were YARF (yet another Rush fabrication). But Eli's already on Destiny's bridge wallowing in it and checking it all out, so the pooch has been screwed, so to speak.

Comment

That "structure" was created before even stable hydrogen atoms formed and fills the entire universe. Whatever Destiny is looking for, isn't going to be made out of matter and "findable" because it would be EVERYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE. It would be akin to the speculatively ambiguous Faith Planet "aliens/supreme beings".
                Just because it isn't solid doesn't mean it can't be found. He's not talking about "structure" as in a physical construct, but as in a pattern that can be devised.

I was referring the "reveal" being a "let down" after all the "build up". The "check" that Mallozzi wrote, "bounced".
                Truly a matter of opinion.

Comment

The CMB contains small thermal variations, generated by quantum fluctuations of matter in a very tiny space, expanded to universe sized proportions by inflation. The writers' idea that it may represent intelligence is pure, unadulterated fantasy since the photons that are the CMB are visible only because the universe cooled enough for stable atoms of hydrogen to form. There is NOTHING for Destiny to find. It's just a "snapshot" that shows all the intelligence of quantum brownian motion.

Like Brannon and Braga's Future Guy on Enterprise, or RDM's Cylons who "Had A Plan" for three seasons, Mallozzi's writers talked the talk, but ultimately couldn't walk the walk. We're just gonna get a lot more speculative Faith Planet aliens ambiguous bullsh!t, more "I miss my mommy" stones stores, and more irrational and inexplicable "evil Lucian Alliance dudes allowed to roam free in order to create dramatic tension". I suspect SyFy is gonna abort season 3.
                  I'm sorry you don't like SGU, I quite like it. Good sci-fi from episode 1 for me. The adventure of living in space and exploring is what I love about science fiction but that doesn't have to be true for everyone.

I don't think the writers were saying the CMB represents intelligence but I'd have to watch it again. But even so they are talking about underlying structure that humans at our current tech level cant even see. Just like the majority of the universe is Dark matter and Dark Energy and we don't know what that is so they could be talking about correlations between things we haven't begun to understand. My main point was, they don't seem to be talking about going "to" the CMB as it's not any kind of place; just like there's no "center" to the universe. He seemed to say that Destiny was gathering data throughout the universe. Perhaps the gate on Destiny was there so Ancients could periodically gate in and collect the newest data. I clearly don't know as much as you and maybe it's just that, that keeps my suspension of disbelief in tact. I remember that feeling in the new Star Trek movie when they just re-defined Supernova and Black hole to fit their story. The funny thing is if Trek hadn't inspired me to learn more about Astronomy then I probably wouldn't have known they were just making stuff up in Abrams movie.

I'm actually in the camp that didn't need Destiny to have any fancy mission other than networking and getting a foot hold in far distant galaxies for exploration. Their exploration and speculation of what is out there is compelling enough for me.
                  I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                    I clearly don't know as much as you and maybe it's just that, that keeps my suspension of disbelief in tact. I remember that feeling in the new Star Trek movie when they just re-defined Supernova and Black hole to fit their story. The funny thing is if Trek hadn't inspired me to learn more about Astronomy then I probably wouldn't have known they were just making stuff up in Abrams movie.
                    That's exactly the problem I have with SGU. It doesn't mean that I hate SGU. Rather, I'm just not digging the poor science. It really screws the pooch.

Comment

That's exactly the problem I have with SGU. It doesn't mean that I hate SGU. Rather, I'm just not digging the poor science. It really screws the pooch.
                      Well this is a legitimate problem to have, I suppose, but an aspect of "poor science" is seen in literally anything that could be classified as science fiction anyways, including SG1 and SGA. I think that's where the "fiction" part comes in.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                        Just because it isn't solid doesn't mean it can't be found.
                        Ok, I'll bite. Just what exactly could "it" be that is rooted in actual science? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Comment

Ok, I'll bite. Just what exactly could "it" be that is rooted in actual science? Yeah, that's what I thought.
                          Actual science can't explain it. Rush makes that point in the episode. It's beyond us. So you just go with it. The poor science can be upsetting, I get that, but if you're going to harp on this, all of science fiction must really irritate you.

Comment

Maybe it means that 'operating instructions' for the universe are encoded into the high level structure of it.
                            Remember, Rush wasn't on about discovering who/what created the universe, but rather he was hoping to learn how the universe works to the point of being able to change/control it, somehow. What he's looking for is going far FAR beyond "sufficiently advanced technology" - I don't think Rush wants to merely play God. Maybe the Lucian Alliance stories about Destiny's mission we learned from Ginn aren't far off the mark.
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                              Well this is a legitimate problem to have, I suppose, but an aspect of "poor science" is seen in literally anything that could be classified as science fiction anyways, including SG1 and SGA. I think that's where the "fiction" part comes in.
                              I think you've failed to realize that it's not even "science fiction" if the "science" part is merely fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                                Actual science can't explain it. Rush makes that point in the episode. It's beyond us. So you just go with it. The poor science can be upsetting, I get that, but if you're going to harp on this, all of science fiction must really irritate you.
                                That makes no sense, but whatever. I'm quite sure it does to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X