Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
    How do you figure?
    With the patented predictive powers of pessimism!
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
      I doubt the writers are aware that even after crossing 30-40 galaxies, Destiny has hardly made it out of our local supercluster At this speed even reaching the edge of the currently observable universe would probably take destiny roughly untill...hmm.. the stars are going out? ( <-- that's not the end of the universe btw. We're currently in the sort of "univers golden age" where there are stars and life ). At the speed of a million years or so for a couple dozen galaxies, destiny has no chance of getting close to the edge of the universe, what with the universe expanding and all that.
      The only problem is they have crossed hundreds of thousands if not millions of galaxies. It takes about one galaxy a season, which is probably about a year long. If the ship was launched at least 5 million years ago, then thats like 5 million galaxies.
      thelastgreatprophecy.com

Comment

My guess, it's not the destination that's important, it's the journey. Picking up bits and pieces of the code along the the way, to "see the country" as it were. There is no "destination" as in a place where the trip stops, the mission's over when the message is understood...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlut View Post
          My guess, it's not the destination that's important, it's the journey. Picking up bits and pieces of the code along the the way, to "see the country" as it were. There is no "destination" as in a place where the trip stops, the mission's over when the message is understood...
          green!
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

pipi,

Originally posted by pipi View Post
            Taking a stab here with my n00b knowledge of astrophysics. If a ship is travelling towards the center of the universe, aka the origin of the big bang, then gravity will increase the closer it gets and hence time slows down. Probably why it took more than a million years. Maybe it'll take a billion years or infinity to get there depending on the gravity.
            Everywhere is the center of the universe. There is no central origin point. The Big Bang wasn't an explosion into space. It [s]was[/s] is (because it's still going on) an explosion of space. Think of it like a balloon being inflated where the surface of the balloon is the observable Universe.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlut View Post
              I think we have a winner...
              Stratification?

Comment

Or all the viewers have gone ..

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                  Maybe they realized that Destiny might not make it to it's destination and decided to take a shortcut called Ascension
                  Actually, it's not that much of a shortcut. Last I heard, they're still working on a consciousness superhighway and only recently discovered the edge of the Universe a few years ago, so they just beat the Destiny, but only by a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                    pipi,

Everywhere is the center of the universe. There is no central origin point. The Big Bang wasn't an explosion into space. It [s]was[/s] is (because it's still going on) an explosion of space. Think of it like a balloon being inflated where the surface of the balloon is the observable Universe.
                    I kind of understand that theory after watching some TV shows about the universe. With that hypothesis, the residual energy left behind that Destiny is heading towards would be constantly moving. I suppose star charts have to be adjusted for shift or whatever the terminology is.

Comment

ThePlut

OMG !

You sound like Oma
                      Last edited by hisg1fans; 11 November 2010, 04:09 PM. Reason: forgot to reply with quote

Comment

That did remind me of Oma...

But i do love how this is going to change the dynamics of the show.
                        I wonder if they come across another seeder, whether they will try to dial home again.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                          ThePlut

OMG !

You sound like Oma
                          Nah, if he really wanted to sound like Oma, he would've said something like: "If you immediately know the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago".

Comment

I'm sorry. But the revelation of the true mission of Destiny struck me as nothing less than ridiculous. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously after something that over the top (that's exactly what it was.)

The idea that these guys are going to find a newly revealed intelligence that created the entire universe is just far to implausible for me to buy.

The implication that basically the all of existence is an artificial creation is in an of itself the most shockingly important breakthrough in history. The notion of something that magnitude being revealed and ultimately understood by anyone in any of the shows is just too grandiose of an idea for me to get behind in this show.

Stargate really has never been that kind of franchise.

The show is probably going to lose me if the premise is now that a bunch of random nobodies have essentially accidentally stumbled into a scientific mission to find God himself.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I think it's great personally. It makes sense that the Ancients might start a journey like that and realize they have other things to do later and abandon it.

I'm a little leery of what the Sci-Fi crowd tends to feel about it, just because the second you can call anyone or anything close to the actual "god" things can get a bit tense. But it's just mythology anyway, so I don't see the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
                                I think it's great personally. It makes sense that the Ancients might start a journey like that and realize they have other things to do later and abandon it.

I'm a little leery of what the Sci-Fi crowd tends to feel about it, just because the second you can call anyone or anything close to the actual "god" things can get a bit tense. But it's just mythology anyway, so I don't see the problem.
                                It actually makes less sense to me that the Ancients would abandon a mission this important. Given how Rush talked about the issue, discovering the ultimate meaning or mysterious of all of existence seems like it's arguably the most important mission that ever was or ever could be undertaken.

If the universe was created by an intelligent force, then such a being (or beings) would essentially by definition be a real actual God (or Gods). So in essence the Ancients discovered proof of the existence of the creator of the universe, set on a mission to understand it and then... forgot about it because they had better things to do?
                                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X