This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good episode.

The whole derelict aliens ship plotline was only a pretext to have Young together with Rush while the crew found the new bridge. In fact, I think they almost forgot to check for salvageable goods on the ship. SGU switched from the empty planet plots to the empty spaceship (where nothing special happens) . At least, we had some cool moment like the centrifugal jump.

One disappointment is the much talked about new Destiny mission. It's underwhelming and there's no excitement or forward momentum plot wise generated by it. Sure maybe aliens from another "universe" or dimension created the big bang and created our known universe. So what? It's a nice sci-fi concept, but how does it translate to a great adventure for the Destiny crew?

Sure maybe it will be great, but we don't get that sense of forward momentum plotwise. Personally the main goal of the Destiny crew and Young should still be getting back to earth. I guess maybe "knowing all the secrets of the universe" may help.

Also it's a bit strange they sent the poor Ginn in the body of Amanda Perry a paraplegic through the stones. It's supposed to be very difficult and a big deal (James couldn't do it), but for Ginn, it's no biggie. She will use that body to go brief earth's homeland security about the LA military secrets.

So yes, this episode got more adventure even if the whole ship plot was sidelined for a Young and Rush confrontation about him finding the bridge. Nothing we haven't seen before.

I hope they become good friend because it seems the lemon is already pressed in that storyline. There's no juice anymore. Another head butt, please. The really interesting and original part was Rush telling us about the Destiny true mission. Still I like the mystery and suspense in the way Rush tried first to hide the bridge by calling for Perry or getting Young to get away while talking to Perry.

Very good episode acting wise for Eli.

It was nice to see somebody frustrated when he sees his girlfriend kissing another man because there's someone else consciousness in it.

Personally, I would prefer to see what's going on with Telford and his interaction with the gate seed aliens (which seemed to be peaceful at first) than visiting then sidelining yet another empty ship or empty planet.

Still I give it a 7/10. It was central in moving the season 2 plotlines forward. Much better than the 4, I gave to episode like Sabotage or Pathogen. It's good TV, not great. Same kind of story and tired Rush vs Young confrontations we saw in Justice.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
      Yep, says a lot about Rush that many of us knew, but some wanted desperately to not believe. Rush could have easily have accidentally "missed" Young and then the man would have been gone, out of his hair. But Rush really does care about people and does want to save their lives, regardless of who they are.

Rush is more human than many might think.
      {mod snip}
      Rush has only one motive. To achieve his dream. Whatever it takes. That is his motto.
      His rapidly diminishing 'humanity' only shows when Dr. Amanda Perry is around, and that will be gone soon enough.
      His 'Saneness' will only last till the next time he decides that he knows better than everyone else and makes the next unilateral decision that he has no authority to make that will result in someone else biting the dust. The character can't help himself. He is who he is, and no amount of beating from Young is going to change that.
      The most frank and prophetic statement in the episode was made by Young when he said 'I should have killed you when I had the chance.'
      It will come down to that, eventually.
      Last edited by TameFarrar; 13 November 2010, 08:03 AM. Reason: do not disrespect other members

Comment

I think everyone is missing the point of the mission.. They aren't looking for "God" at least not in the biblical sense, God doesn't even exist here. They are looking for the ultimate "code" or Universal pattern that was embedded at the creation the universe as a message that will propel their understanding of reality. What they are going for is the key to ascension.

Comment

Rush does seem to be making the same progression (albiet slowly) we only saw the endgame of in the SG-1 episode, 'Window of Opportunity' where the man kept reversing time so that he could have more with his dead wife....
          sigpic
          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
            Rush does seem to be making the same progression (albiet slowly) we only saw the endgame of in the SG-1 episode, 'Window of Opportunity' where the man kept reversing time so that he could have more with his dead wife....
            What do you mean "the same progression"? (in the sense that I'm really curious about what you mean by progression) It's exactly the same idea of that man in Windows or Opportunity or Annorax in the excellent Voyager 2-parter "Year of Hell". In YOH, you could see where this obsession could lead.

I think it's a good storyline for Rush (doing whatever it takes to save his wife).
            Last edited by Commander Zelix; 10 November 2010, 10:14 AM.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              And so - is my interpretation correct that the Ancients were looiking for 'God' and since the tech won't allow them to 'see' him, they'll have to go on 'faith'? BLEH! BSG already did the God and Faith thing. It's why I stopped watching. I'm disappointed Stargate decided to go this route.
              Why does it have to be god? There's no reason it couldn't be something like what Eureka did with 'The Artifact', it being a remnant from a universe that existed before ours.
              sigpic

Comment

You know, I don't really see the goal for Rush as being someone to get back to his wife. She's dead, and he knows it, and he even seems to have made some movement towards a new romantic interest in this episode (although it may be short lived, depending on the events of the next episode).

I think for him is really is the question, the puzzle, the scientific and intellectual curiosity, that is driving him.
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I think this episode was absolutely brilliant! Eli's reaction, Young's decision to not kill Rush (Young still has issues he needs to address, but it seems like he is slowly working through them to become a better leader), the bridge, ramming the alien ship (oops!), and the drama with Ginn.

Now that we know that Destiny is on a misson of discovery, it was no wonder why the ship decided to drop out of FTL when it encountered a star and habitable planet that the seeder ships hadn't logged. It might have appeared to Rush that the planet was in it's way and the ship needed to divert, but I'm finding it hard to believe now that a course adjustment like that would take as long as it did. I think Destiny somehow knew that the existence of this planet was somehow part of the puzzle it was trying to solve, and allowed the crew ample time to explore it.

Also, this episode illustrates just how different the alterrans were to the ori, and how these two groups closely resemble the people of our world. The alterrans wanted to understand the universe they lived in and followed science wherever it took them (even to the end of the universe...literally!), whereas the ori wanted to use religion and the promise of origin and understanding to distract the masses while they rose to power in their little comfy corner of the universe. That all reminds me of the battle between science and religion now days, and how religion many times stymies the efforts of scientists to make discoveries that would benefit all of mankind or further our understanding.

If anything, this episode shows just how resolute the Ancients were in making scientific discoveries. I wonder though, after they achieved ascension, did they find the answer to the question Destiny was created to discover?
                  I imagine if they did, and they pretty much knew everything and had nothing else to discover, they would be pretty bored. Siting around in a diner might then be the only thing left they have to do with their time.....

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    This is good character development for Rush. For the viewers to now feel for him and can trust him as well as the rest of the crew. I don't think he has anymore reason to hide anything. He basically told Young, we have a mission we need to see this through, lets do this side by side, and etc. That gave me chills. Young laughed it off but I could tell he is willing to give it a shot.

Honestly, it would get old if they did not change their attitudes toward eachother, you need that development.
                    Trust Rush? ROFLMAO!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, but the point is that he didn't know whether she had or not. If she had, killing her would have accomplished nothing.
                      Say you're at war, and you learn that your enemy has a research facility for some new weapon. You know this weapon would shift the balance of power, but you don't know how far along they are. Do you wait until you can figure it out, or do you nip it in the bud? If she had already talked, killing her does nothing. If she hadn't, he just solved a big problem. It's a risk he has to take.

I doubt Earth can kill the LA that easily. Remember, the organization is much like an group of street gangs; they are loosely affiliated, but no one member knows enough to kill the entire thing. They kinda work together, but each group does what it wants.
                      Take down the leadership and what remains becomes harmless until they unify once more, and the new leadership might not care about the plans of the old one.

And that's about the only reason I can see Simeon doing this; that he's stupid, crazy, and fanatical. Which was my complaint: he's an idiot.
                      SOmetimes you just need someone like that. If he weren't, he'd never do anything.

Comment

I'll probably write more about this episode later, but can I just say to start with that if I watch the next episode and find that both Ginn and Amanda are dead.................I hope Simeon suffers......very VERY slowly.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          I'll probably write more about this episode later, but can I just say to start with that if I watch the next episode and find that both Ginn and Amanda are dead.................I hope Simeon suffers......very VERY slowly.
                          Sounds like a job for Greer
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                            This is good character development for Rush. For the viewers to now feel for him and can trust him as well as the rest of the crew. I don't think he has anymore reason to hide anything. He basically told Young, we have a mission we need to see this through, lets do this side by side, and etc. That gave me chills. Young laughed it off but I could tell he is willing to give it a shot.

Honestly, it would get old if they did not change their attitudes toward eachother, you need that development.
                            I suspect that Rush didn't tell Young everything and is still withholding some information.

Comment

why do they point out spoilers for the next episode in here? damn....
                              otherwise I LOVED it! Please..... give them at least ONE MORE season. Rush & Young are buds now huh? maybe they can get drunk together after what will happen. Loved it. Everything! We Need A Soundtrack guys.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                I suspect that Rush didn't tell Young everything and is still withholding some information.
                                I agree with ya! I wouldn't trust Rush in the least bit!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X