"Soverign states act in their own self interest"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
    Don't be foolish, Earth might have incorporated a few alien technologies into it's ships, but overall Earth is still at the exact same technology level it was at in 1996 when it started the Stargate Program.

For example : the engineers who designed and installed the ring transporters on all of Earth's moterships, had to ride a clunky old elevator down to the basement where they built those ring transporters.
    1996 is still half a century better than Langara, and have you missed all the times SG1 has had their spiffy spaceships just beam them cross-country?

It's foolish to think that Earth, even discounting alien technology, is not technologically superior The scientists in the episode itself marvel at McKay's entirely human made handheld computer. That right there is how advanced we are compared to them.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      Langara is only in the 1940s as far as tech goes. Their only real resource is naquadria, and Earth has long since moved beyond that as anything but an explosive. And they thought Langara was dealing with their enemies, which is more than enough reason even in the real world.
      They are obviously more advance than that, the drilling rig for example had shields.

That was Rodney just show boating and being a arrogant ass as usual.
      In someways the Langarans are more advance than Earth, they seem to have mastered Naquadria power which is equal to Earths, and the drill they built was more advance than anything we have on Earth in the area of drilling technology.

They also equip the craft with Gould technology which they no doubt applied to other areas of there society and technology.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        They are obviously more advance than that, the drilling rig for example had shields.
        That was Rodney just show boating and being a arrogant ass as usual.
        In someways the Langarans are more advance than Earth, they seem to have mastered Naquadria power which is equal to Earths, and the drill they built was more advance than anything we have on Earth in the area of drilling technology.

They also equip the craft with Gould technology which they no doubt applied to other areas of there society and technology.
        Goa'uld technology developed by a Goa'uld
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          I would very much agree with that.
          me too

Comment

It was absolutely outrageous for us to even ask the Langoreans for permission to dial Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Goa'uld technology developed by a Goa'uld
              Built by Langaran hands and engineers. She was even teaching Jonas stuff.
              They would have gained a lot of advance knowledge from her to enable them to build that drilling rig. Which would make them more advance than 1940s technology.

Again it just Rodney show boating .
              Last edited by knowles2; 09 April 2011, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Built by Langaran hands and engineers. She was even teaching Jonas stuff.
                They would have gained a lot of advance knowledge from her to enable them to build that drilling rig. Which would make them more advance than 1940s technology.

Its one thing to build something. Its another to understand how it works.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Hey... hey... we have broadband and touch screen phones. Check your facts.
                  and given the tiny size of Naquadah generators this would have a step change in how Tanks and Ships (wet navy would be built) a MBT powered by a Naquadah generator would be as far beyond a M1 Abraham's as the Abraham's is beyond a Mark I. An that's amusing you stay with track layers and don't gotto a Panzer (grav tank)

You could probably easily replace a traditional reactor in a Sub or CAV.
                  ----------------------------
                  You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

If it were showboating the lady would not have been so surprised. Rodney may be arrogant, but he's right. The Langarans are in the 1940s as far as tech goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                      Sometimes it is important for states to work in their own intrest as when in negotiations you to find the soloution that works for you. Like it or not in the Middle East to have our fancy lifestyles and fast cars we have to do deals with unsavory people to get oil supplies. So if we want to get to destiny we might have use force, I don't like that idea but I doubt the people on Destiny care if we have use some force to get a supply line.
                      Yup. To get what we want, we'll just have to act like the Goa'uld. Or the Ori. Or the Wraith. Or the...

Just so we're clear... who am I supposed to root for in this show again? It gets confusing...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                        Yup. To get what we want, we'll just have to act like the Goa'uld. Or the Ori. Or the Wraith. Or the...

Just so we're clear... who am I supposed to root for in this show again? It gets confusing...
                        Who says you're supposed to root for anyone?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Who says you're supposed to root for anyone?
                          Ah, so the writers want us to think of O'Neill as just another political scumbag?

Go LA! Blow up the Earth and show those rat *******s what for! I think I may enjoy watching this again, hoping and praying someone kills the stupid Destiny crew members off, and that the LA rightly takes their place on it. =) Hmm, the only question is... do we let the smurfs Deep-fry Chloe? Or have the LA spare her so they can use her as a comfort girl?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                            Ah, so the writers want us to think of O'Neill as just another political scumbag?

Go LA! Blow up the Earth and show those rat *******s what for! I think I may enjoy watching this again, hoping and praying someone kills the stupid Destiny crew members off, and that the LA rightly takes their place on it. =) Hmm, the only question is... do we let the smurfs Deep-fry Chloe? Or have the LA spare her so they can use her as a comfort girl?
                            Always with the absolutes...

Why can't O'Neill be grey. Like most real people in such positions. Trust me. Compared to Bomber Harris, he's a saint.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Always with the absolutes...

Why can't O'Neill be grey. Like most real people in such positions. Trust me. Compared to Bomber Harris, he's a saint.
                              Why can't you accept that O'Neill wasn't grey? Or answer this other question: Do you think someone who abuses your trust and goes through your things, is "grey"? That if you catch them doing bad things to you, they can just chuckle and say "Oops! I was just being gray" and you'll go "oh, that's alright!"?

I know grey. SG-1 already gave us that; it was called "Shades of Grey." What you're proposing is the Mayborne strategy, and we arrested him and threw him in jail for that. He was an "Earth first" kind of guy, and we're no different. O'Neill has turned into the kind of person he once denounced, so even if you call him grey, we can also call him a hypocrite. Mayborne was right after all, eh?

And this means that the heroes Stargate has shown us, have been deconstructed and destroyed. The ones today, aren't the ones we knew back then.

Anyway, you keep harping on this "grey" subject, as if it somehow magically renders everyone innocent. "He's not bad! He's... he''s just... he's just... grey! Yeah, that's it!" It's a neat way of trying to tiptoe around the moral ramifications here. Can't you just call it wrong? Something wrong, is not grey; it's wrong. It's intellectually disingenuous to try and pretend otherwise. You're smart enough to know that.

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                                and given the tiny size of Naquadah generators this would have a step change in how Tanks and Ships (wet navy would be built) a MBT powered by a Naquadah generator would be as far beyond a M1 Abraham's as the Abraham's is beyond a Mark I. An that's amusing you stay with track layers and don't gotto a Panzer (grav tank)

You could probably easily replace a traditional reactor in a Sub or CAV.
                                no no no no
                                Those reactors in subs are pushing 100 MWT. Mk I is around 2 MWe and a MKII may peak out slightly higher than that. You cannot that kind of power in something like that. Look at the copper cables they make the hook up with for a clue.

Comment

Working...
                                X