No announcement yet.

Ridiculous simulation parameters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off not buying that Rush is capable of loving anyone other than himself and his own agenda.
    When he was duplicated a few episodes ago I am surprised they didn't go find a quiet cabin to
    enjoy a little "quality time". So I am not sure the parameter is to blame.

Secondly, what a STUPID parameter. Sheesh this is a world class intellect augmented by Ancient
    technology. This is what she chooses to go with?!?! How about a word or a phrase?
    Maybe one Rush never uses like, "I was wrong".

The problem here is the same one that's plagued Stargate going back as far as Atlantis.

Bad writing. Bad writer no cookie.

GM

Comment

I believe Rush doesn't love her the same way she loves him, he probably cares for her, but his heart belongs to his dead wife still. Thats what I got from it, she naively thought he loved her and that as a parameter makes sense for a 'computer program'.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
        I believe Rush doesn't love her the same way she loves him, he probably cares for her, but his heart belongs to his dead wife still. Thats what I got from it, she naively thought he loved her and that as a parameter makes sense for a 'computer program'.
        How does it make sense? What about this choice was rational or logical?

Comment

Originally posted by kudra View Post
          I wondered whether subconciously she chose that scenario as a test?

She's been in love with Rush for years (even while he was still married) but he didn't respond to her as more than a friend until recently. Maybe she was feeling insecure and wanted proof that he loved her the way he'd loved Gloria?
          I got the same feeling with her "you don't know how glad I am to hear that" line. I think she subconsciously needed him to want to stay in order for him to be able to leave and his willingness to come and go, content to have his life in the real world, was what messed up her scenario.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
            Perry developed the sim by modifying the program which generated the battle scenario in Young's mind. Therefore, like any scenario, it had to have a win condition. Since "had great sex" would probably be an equally odd condition to base it on, she chose love as something she felt was already true.

As for getting in, if Star Trek has taught us anything, realistic simulations have no problem letting people in, but refuse to let go once they're a part of the simulation.
            When Rush asked her what the conditions were, I assumed it was orgasm.. Moral of the story? Next time use a safe word as a condition..

I thought Amanda looks pretty insecure this episode. It was kind of sad to watch and it shed a lot of light on her character. Her insecurity is understandable considering the condition she was in.
            Geral Corasjo

Comment

love is abstract and most of all, personal. Perry's parameter was that he loved her, based upon how she loves him. but if he doesn't love her the way she loves him, the parameter is not met and thus he's trapped.

When Rush asked her what the conditions were, I assumed it was orgasm.. Moral of the story? Next time use a safe word as a condition..
              when messing about with uploading people's minds and stuff, you can never have enough failsafes

Comment

Wah, Hold the presses.

How is Love NOT quantifible every thing to with humans is down to bio chemistry at the end of day. I don't understand why people think that takes anything aawy from love, spirtual or biological whats the difference?

I don't think she stopped him from leaving intentionally because although she looked sad to see him go she was willing to let him go. If a paramyter was love then maybe the computer would only let Rush go when it was satisfied he loved her as much as she loved him.

I think she tricked him about leaving the sim because she was scared he would get mad before she could stop the sim herself.
                She let love get in the way of her reason something Ginn wouldn't do.

I felt for Eli though as because of Rush and Amanda he has lost contact with Ginn.

Comment

And the Destiny can now measure true love too?

Next thing you know it will have emotions too and become a living ship Farscape style.
                  sigpic

Comment

Amanda is part of the AI now so she IS the computer. Those were her parameters to hear him say he loved her. She wanted to seduce him.

Ginn understood what was happening, she was supressed by Amanda. I don't think the Destiny AI had anything to do with it which is why Ginn insisted it was dangerous-Amanda was manipulating Rush via the ship.
                    SGU fangirl

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                      So I don't get why Amanda Perry who is a scientist decided to base the parameters of her simulation on an abstract and completely unmeasurable concept like love. Just seems like something that someone who is scientifically minded would have understood would end in trouble.
                      A woman programmer decided that the keys that control the virtual booty will have something to do with love. I buy that. One of the few things I things I find believable in this episode.

Comment

The problem is using Destiny, a computer to determine what love is, then on top of that it's an alien computer so for all we knew, the Ancients could have thought it was something much more deeper and personal.

Then people have different ideas of what love is. Perry didn't believe Rush loved her even after he said it, yet we've clearly seen he does love her. He chased a man across a planet, caused a stampede and then executed her killer. He loved her and that love hurt him greatly when she was killed.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saber
                          Then people have different ideas of what love is. Perry didn't believe Rush loved her even after he said it, yet we've clearly seen he does love her. He chased a man across a planet, caused a stampede and then executed her killer. He loved her and that love hurt him greatly when she was killed.
                          Indeed. This was what I found touching and sad about this ep. Rush was stuck in a really crappy situation. he poured out his heart to her, but in the circumstances it was his word against Destiny's interpretation of the parameter. I really felt bad for him when he swore that he loved her, but she couldn't believe him.

Comment

Love is quantifiable, even if that quantity may be infinite.

Perry may have determined that Rush would only love her if he was willing to stay in the simulation longer, perhaps forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Python View Post
                              Love is quantifiable, even if that quantity may be infinite.
                              It's not quantifiable or measurable in any way.
                              There is no biological process that goes along with love, there's no increased heart rate or synaptic activity, a doctor can't diagnose love, a surgeon can't remove it and a chemist can't treat it.

There's no way that even the most advanced computer could measure love, and even if it could, everyone experiences love differently.

Comment

Ya I didn't like this at all, like I can see where the writers were going with it wanting to be all deep and thoughtful and greys anatomy but it just didn't feel that way.. like the whole thing with perry and ginn just felt rushed and the simulation parameters didn't really make any sense at all.. Amanda perry is supposed to be a genius like...

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                                It's not quantifiable or measurable in any way.
                                There is no biological process that goes along with love, there's no increased heart rate or synaptic activity, a doctor can't diagnose love, a surgeon can't remove it and a chemist can't treat it.

There's no way that even the most advanced computer could measure love, and even if it could, everyone experiences love differently.
                                Wrong, it is measurable, we just can't measure it with out primitive real world technology
                                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                                X