Where is Earth's stargate located now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, where to start?

Personally my philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The SGC has anti beam out technology to protect the Alpha gate, and is a long established operating facility, having had an operational gate for over a decade.

Atlantis seems to tick many boxes, but its a mobile facility, still full of technological unknowns, and regardless whichever water or land based body it sits on, is a mobile facility. - We all know that if the Atlantis series had continued, somehow the city would return to the Pegasus galaxy. (Prob stolen) - If all the facilities, equipment tech and personnel went too, that's all the resources gone in one go.
    Secondly, the Gatrium is difficult to isolate and secure - as is any part of the city really. (See SGA Season 5 "The Seed" and "The Lost Tribe" for examples) By contrast, the SGC's Gate room since it used to be the base of a rocket silo was specifically designed to be shut down and isolated, and the SGC has made effective use of that ability over the years.
    Third, as a surface based facility, its an easier target for the likes of the Lucian Alliance to bomb and potentially destroy. Without the shield up, Atlantis is vulnerable. - SGA Season 3's "Progeny" and "First Strike" Prove that. Not to mention the city may have facilities and materials of its own, but even with the cloak active, it is not subtle from a security standpoint, and ZPM's are an expensive and increasingly rare commodity - constant cloak operation is wasteful and short sighted in that regard. We have seen how giving the USS Odyssey a ZPM enhanced its systems, and there is also the Antartic chair outpost. (Which could be made operational again if the chair from Proclarush Taonas is retrievable.) - Its dangerous to keep all your eggs on one planet.

Re a Pegasus off-world base, I thought there had been one established? We saw it in SGA Season 2 "Michael"? Off course its probably empty tents and tumbleweeds by now!

Re the Disclosure of the Stargate Programme, I think President Hayes may have taken more than one recommendation from Colonel Carter after she returned from the Alt Universe in SG1's Season 10 "The Road Not Taken"? Assuming he is still President after all this time. Sometimes the greatest danger is not without, but within. - Who knows how the general public would react?

Flying Off Bennett - Nice to see you matey!
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
      Ok, where to start?

Personally my philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The SGC has anti beam out technology to protect the Alpha gate, and is a long established operating facility, having had an operational gate for over a decade.

Atlantis seems to tick many boxes, but its a mobile facility, still full of technological unknowns, and regardless whichever water or land based body it sits on, is a mobile facility. - We all know that if the Atlantis series had continued, somehow the city would return to the Pegasus galaxy. (Prob stolen) - If all the facilities, equipment tech and personnel went too, that's all the resources gone in one go.
      Secondly, the Gatrium is difficult to isolate and secure - as is any part of the city really. (See SGA Season 5 "The Seed" and "The Lost Tribe" for examples) By contrast, the SGC's Gate room since it used to be the base of a rocket silo was specifically designed to be shut down and isolated, and the SGC has made effective use of that ability over the years.
      Third, as a surface based facility, its an easier target for the likes of the Lucian Alliance to bomb and potentially destroy. Without the shield up, Atlantis is vulnerable. - SGA Season 3's "Progeny" and "First Strike" Prove that. Not to mention the city may have facilities and materials of its own, but even with the cloak active, it is not subtle from a security standpoint, and ZPM's are an expensive and increasingly rare commodity - constant cloak operation is wasteful and short sighted in that regard. We have seen how giving the USS Odyssey a ZPM enhanced its systems, and there is also the Antartic chair outpost. (Which could be made operational again if the chair from Proclarush Taonas is retrievable.) - Its dangerous to keep all your eggs on one planet.

Re a Pegasus off-world base, I thought there had been one established? We saw it in SGA Season 2 "Michael"? Off course its probably empty tents and tumbleweeds by now!

Re the Disclosure of the Stargate Programme, I think President Hayes may have taken more than one recommendation from Colonel Carter after she returned from the Alt Universe in SG1's Season 10 "The Road Not Taken"? Assuming he is still President after all this time. Sometimes the greatest danger is not without, but within. - Who knows how the general public would react?

Flying Off Bennett - Nice to see you matey!
      Good points, and good to see you too! Haven't been around much of late have I?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking something built into a mountain like the Alpha Site that was compromised by the Ori bugs or Icarus Base. Something more secure than a campsite.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
          There is no way the US President will allow an asset that can defend the planet to leave. He may allow it to be relocated to Lake Michigan or Chesapeake Bay but other than that, Atlantis is going nowhere. 1000s of scientists at a time can keep themselves busy there. They should be relocating area 51 there along with SGC, Pentagon, UN offices, etc.
          The US President wouldn't be the one with the final say on Atlantis. I'm pretty sure that Atlantis itself and all things related to it, would fall under the jurisdiction of the IOA.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
            The US President wouldn't be the one with the final say on Atlantis. I'm pretty sure that Atlantis itself and all things related to it, would fall under the jurisdiction of the IOA.
            Agreed. The structure of SG1 and Atlantis showed that when it comes to the SGC, Gen Landry has to report to his milirary superiors at the Pentagon, and they in turn answer to the President. By contrast, the Atlantis Expo leader answers to the IOA, and those involved with it. President Hayes will obviously have a say, but it will be on the same level as the French President,the UK Prime Minister, or the Chinese Premier. - In fact, the last season of SG1 seemed to imply the IOA had more say over the SGC too.

Starsaber - quite right. Only thing to bear in mind, even of they found a world with the right kind of natural caverns to create a Pegasus base like the Milky Way Alpha Site, it would require a lot of long distance work to make it operational. Even using the Puddle Jumpers through the gate bridge without the Midway station, assuming those gates are still there) there is only so much that can be transported at a time.

Flying Off B? - Me neither!
            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
              There is no way the US President will allow an asset that can defend the planet to leave. He may allow it to be relocated to Lake Michigan or Chesapeake Bay but other than that, Atlantis is going nowhere. 1000s of scientists at a time can keep themselves busy there. They should be relocating area 51 there along with SGC, Pentagon, UN offices, etc.
              Hmm, I think relocating all those military resources into one facility would be tactically unwise. The old adage about not putting all your eggs in one basket is still applicable, especially if an enemy might know where that basket is and what its defense capabilities are.
              sigpic

Comment

I think the IOA fund the SGC so Landry may answer to the president but if the IOA stop funding the SGC, I am sure the president would go with the IOA.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeek123 View Post
                  Well if Atlantis is still on Earth... I bet the Wraith are having a all you can eat buffet in the Pegasus Galaxy.
                  not our problem
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                    not our problem
                    We woke the wraith and the Ancients meant Atlantis to stay in Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                      our sole mission was to find the lost city. we did that we own it we took it home.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                        The Wraith would have woken up eventually and done the same thing anyway. All we did is change the time he happened.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

our sole mission was to find the lost city. we did that we own it we took it home.
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by darkthunder84 View Post
                            I'd agree with most of this. And yes, while Atlantis has had a certain level of military presence within the city, the nations of the world who know of the Stargate program, would never allow such an advanced "military asset" as Atlantis, to be solely controlled by the US and or the SGC/Pentagon. Remember, the whole reason for Weir's "International Expedition Team" at the start of Atlantis, was because other countries wanted to have a more active role in what goes on regarding the Stargate.

Still don't know why the program hasn't been publically announced yet, since currently Earth isn't exactly in any major interstellar wars. Goa'uld defeated, Replicators defeated, Ori defeated. The only current opposition is the Lucian Alliance, and with our 304's, and combined Asgard/Ancient tech, they're not much of a nuissance anyways.
                            The city is sitting in American waters at the moment and to be perfectly frank, no one short of the Asgard or the Wraith have the capability to take it by force and Sam has probably taken the necessary precautions to ensure someone resourceful like Rush, Eli, Rodney or Radick doesn't do something cute. The US would obviously need to form a pact similar to NATO for space with China, UK, India, Indonesia (people with money industrial capability and spine enough to use) and have the UN security council to expanded to include these members into the security council. Within 3 months of arriving in SF Bay, there'd be a strong military presence (Anti Air, close in weapons support, Uber Beams, and at least 1000 US marines and another 1000 chinese full time. The city will either stay or be moved to Lake Michigan, Chesapeake Bay, or that little bay alongside JFK airport (NYC). It would be a safe bet that there are already 1000s of scientists living there, homeworld command, UN security council official offices, whichever Navy command for which ever fleet is in the area, and very possibly the president would have a really sweet office there too (retire air force one now there are 304s), NORAD, etc. All that would need to happen is to release an lengthy article on the internet explaining the situation and that we have made a million year advancement in space travel with the first priority to move offworld and provide new starts for the disenfranchise portions of the world if they'd like to leave. Put a checkmark on the 1040 forms asking for a 100 bucks for atlantis and it'd be IOA who? Once this is made public, implementation of UN security council directives will be easy. Imagine how much simpler things would be with a fleet of 304s and a few platoons of marines with kull armor.

Within 3 years the whole nature of public education in USA, China, India, Indonesia, and Russia would evolve into something like the Tollan probably had cranking out millions of technically competent folks (engineering technology type not engineers) and hundreds of thousands of engineers. In this short period of time, we could have 10,000 of engineers offworld developing civilizations and farmworlds. The other smaller techological nations could have their own worlds too. Once we build a gate large enough for a semi to drive thru the sky is the limit. Get a large mountain, beam out the heart, beam in the gate, beam semis in and out (the joke would be on whomever beamed in uninvited). There may not even be money within 10 years if the expansion works well.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                              He could argue that it's in US territorial waters, and most of the military on Atlantis is from the US. Sheppard would probably tell him to go frak himself, but with so much power at stake, who knows what would happen?

Starsaber - quite right. Only thing to bear in mind, even of they found a world with the right kind of natural caverns to create a Pegasus base like the Milky Way Alpha Site, it would require a lot of long distance work to make it operational. Even using the Puddle Jumpers through the gate bridge without the Midway station, assuming those gates are still there) there is only so much that can be transported at a time.
                              Asgard transporter + mountain = homemade caverns
                              There would be a bunch of equipment involved in fitting out the base (and probably some more precise mining necessary too), but that'd take care of a good chunk of it.

not our problem
                              It is if we have a treaty with them, which in at least some cases, we probably do.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                                He could argue that it's in US territorial waters, and most of the military on Atlantis is from the US. Sheppard would probably tell him to go frak himself, but with so much power at stake, who knows what would happen?
                                He could tell the world to "make me".

Comment

Working...
                                X