Where is Earth's stargate located now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
    Yes, but after 9/11 all we had was Earth technology at our disposal. In SGU they have all kinds of advanced technology. Think of how quickly the Asgard core created a Replicator bug in Ark of Truth. Now, imagine making a section of a building instead. Simple.
    I think the public would have noticed if something like that happened. The simple answer is the cost it would take to produce a damanged Pentagon on CGI isn't worth it
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      baseing the SGC out of atlantis would be brillant. it's cloaked and we have much more control over the gate then we did during the sg1 days
      Problem is, the cloak runs down the ZPM. There's no way for us to know how much power they have left, but there's a reason they didn't have Atlantis cloaked all the time in Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
        Problem is, the cloak runs down the ZPM. There's no way for us to know how much power they have left, but there's a reason they didn't have Atlantis cloaked all the time in Pegasus.
        Three active zed-pm's, no problem.
        sigpic

Comment

two words... Moon Base...

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker View Post
            Three active zed-pm's, no problem.
            Unknown level of depletion from getting from Pegasus to Earth (especially factoring in the wormhole drive), unknown level of depletion from the battle, plus constantly running the cloak for probably 2 years now, assuming they're still on Earth.

Comment

Well if Atlantis is still on Earth... I bet the Wraith are having a all you can eat buffet in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeek123 View Post
                Well if Atlantis is still on Earth... I bet the Wraith are having a all you can eat buffet in the Pegasus Galaxy.
                Including people we have treaties with that obligate us to help defend them.

I can understand why there'd be pressure to keep Atlantis on Earth, but we have responsibilities in Pegasus and it's safer to fight the Wraith in their territory than on our own doorstep. Plus, something pointed out in Homecoming that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Atlantis could be a destabilizing force on Earth too. Its weapons and Puddle Jumpers are powerful enough that whoever controls them would be able to use them to force everyone else to do whatever they wanted.

Comment

Plus with its ability to star drive into space, it is like a US carrier, FORCE PROJECTION!

Comment

Originally posted by stargeek123 View Post
                    We did very little to discourage this anyway.

Comment

There is no way the US President will allow an asset that can defend the planet to leave. He may allow it to be relocated to Lake Michigan or Chesapeake Bay but other than that, Atlantis is going nowhere. 1000s of scientists at a time can keep themselves busy there. They should be relocating area 51 there along with SGC, Pentagon, UN offices, etc.

Comment

Including people we have treaties with that obligate us to help defend them.
                        I can understand why there'd be pressure to keep Atlantis on Earth, but we have responsibilities in Pegasus and it's safer to fight the Wraith in their territory than on our own doorstep. Plus, something pointed out in Homecoming that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Atlantis could be a destabilizing force on Earth too. Its weapons and Puddle Jumpers are powerful enough that whoever controls them would be able to use them to force everyone else to do whatever they wanted.
                        Your post suggests that the only way to defend Pegasus is to have Atlantis there, in which case I would disagree.

It would be much less costly to send a 304 with a stargate inside one of the hangars. Less power consumption, easier maneuvering, less risk to the Ancient database, and rechargeable weapons all being positives. The only negatives of sending a 304 in its place would be less cozy quarters, no balcony view and less colorful corridors.

Even if you were to still send a ZPM there with the 304, the power consumption would be much less as there would be less space for the shield and/or cloak to cover. Plus I'm sure it consumes less power to open a hyperspace window that is 1/10 of the size of Atlantis's window.

I agree that we owe the Wraith a fight. But we can't possibly risk one of our best assets (that is a city I might add, not a warship) in a fight in another galaxy when there are other options that we could use.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                          Your post suggests that the only way to defend Pegasus is to have Atlantis there, in which case I would disagree.
                          I originally thought about suggesting we should at least have an Alpha Site/Icarus Base facility in Pegasus for logistics and stuff, but that must not have made it into the final post.
                          Do we know if all Pegasus gates have gate shields, or would we need to try installing an iris on whatever one we used there?

Comment

I originally thought about suggesting we should at least have an Alpha Site/Icarus Base facility in Pegasus for logistics and stuff, but that must not have made it into the final post.
                            Do we know if all Pegasus gates have gate shields, or would we need to try installing an iris on whatever one we used there?
                            This I very much agree with. It would also be far less risky if it was compromised by the Wraith.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                              There is no way the US President will allow an asset that can defend the planet to leave. He may allow it to be relocated to Lake Michigan or Chesapeake Bay but other than that, Atlantis is going nowhere. 1000s of scientists at a time can keep themselves busy there. They should be relocating area 51 there along with SGC, Pentagon, UN offices, etc.
                              I'd agree with most of this. And yes, while Atlantis has had a certain level of military presence within the city, the nations of the world who know of the Stargate program, would never allow such an advanced "military asset" as Atlantis, to be solely controlled by the US and or the SGC/Pentagon. Remember, the whole reason for Weir's "International Expedition Team" at the start of Atlantis, was because other countries wanted to have a more active role in what goes on regarding the Stargate.

Still don't know why the program hasn't been publically announced yet, since currently Earth isn't exactly in any major interstellar wars. Goa'uld defeated, Replicators defeated, Ori defeated. The only current opposition is the Lucian Alliance, and with our 304's, and combined Asgard/Ancient tech, they're not much of a nuissance anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post

It would be much less costly to send a 304 with a stargate inside one of the hangars. Less power consumption, easier maneuvering, less risk to the Ancient database, and rechargeable weapons all being positives. The only negatives of sending a 304 in its place would be less cozy quarters, no balcony view and less colorful corridors.

Even if you were to still send a ZPM there with the 304, the power consumption would be much less as there would be less space for the shield and/or cloak to cover. Plus I'm sure it consumes less power to open a hyperspace window that is 1/10 of the size of Atlantis's window.

I agree that we owe the Wraith a fight. But we can't possibly risk one of our best assets (that is a city I might add, not a warship) in a fight in another galaxy when there are other options that we could use.
                                Several issues there.

We have seen wraith cruisers cause a lot of damage to our 304s, even with our enhanced shields. WE also have only destroyed hives with the ABW or nukes, which as of Air can be neutered quickly. Also, other than putting another iris on the gate, what's to stop the wraith from dialing INTO the ship?

Comment

Working...
                                X